Chromebook & Dac ?

Infinity nutcase.
I'm just curious, I bought a chromebook strictly for streaming radio stations and listening from YouTube & our music forum here. I'm using a 3.5 to RCA's cord directly to my preamp. Now I've discovered all the music available with my Amazon prime membership.

So far streaming radio everything sounds pretty darn good. I'm going to try the Amazon music service next, looks pretty neat.

So I'm just wondering now if I need a DAC ?......Say between the chromebook and my preamp, or am I fine with the 3.5 cord the way I'm doing it. I guess what I'm asking is would there be any improvement with one.

TIA.

Does that Chromebook have a USB out?

With the 3.5mm cord you are using the Chromebook's sound card to process the sound. You can bypass it and a DAC would be much better at processing that digital signal.

A lot of folks use the USB ports on their music servers to feed their DAC. USB A to B cords are the usual method.

I just took a look and it does, so using the USB to the DAC then to the preamp is the preferred method for optimal sound quality ?

I just took a look and it does, so using the USB to the DAC then to the preamp is the preferred method for optimal sound quality ?
YES!!! By using the USB DAC you should be bypassing all the internal noise of the laptop being picked up, as with the internal soundcard, and enjoying a much cleaner (lower noise floor) sounding musical experience.

Thank you guys, just purchased one here in barter town. I'll get to reading that link in the morning.

The DAC I picked up is an HRT Music Streamer ll, I'm not sure if it comes with the needed cable so one more question after looking loday. Looks like there's an A & B version would you guys happen to know which one it is, and not wanting to start a cable debate here, is there a midfi brand that's recommended. Amazon has a good looking audioquest for not to bad a price $$

If that's ok to ask here.

The DAC I picked up is an HRT Music Streamer ll, I'm not sure if it comes with the needed cable so one more question after looking loday. Looks like there's an A & B version would you guys happen to know which one it is, and not wanting to start a cable debate here, is there a midfi brand that's recommended. Amazon has a good looking audioquest for not to bad a price $$

I wouldn't go crazy spending money on a cable. Just buy a name brand and you'll be fine.

Just get a name-brand USB cable. If I ever have measurable signal-quality problems on my digital rig, it's never because of the USB cable.

Thanks you guys have been very helpful. I'm excited for this thing to get here and hear what it does.

Back
Top Bottom