Wood veneer cabinet for SX-737?

Jenkster

Bonzo!
Subscriber
6AACDCCA-CFF3-4164-BAAA-A7F755BF6264.jpeg Is anyone making real wood veneer cabinets for the SX-737? I just picked one up that was completely restored. Now I would like it to look as beautiful as it sounds, thanks!

View attachment 1180677 Is anyone making real wood veneer cabinets for the SX-737? I just picked one up that was completely restored. Now I would like it to look as beautiful as it sounds, thanks!

That is a beauty, my kid saw mine and immediately called dibs for his first college apartment next year.

looking forward to the story.

Jenkster; You can change the wording on the title. Above your 1st post on the RIGHT SIDE is "Thread Tools" with a drop down box arrow. Click on it and then click Edit Title. Click Save when done.

I promised my sx-737 to my almost 7 year old Grand-Daughter when one of 2 things happen. She turns 16 or when I get fitted for a Pine Peacoat (dead). Hopefully it's the 1st option. I'm 63 now and aging fast! :( My 5-1/2 Grandson gets the SX-939. my 9 y.o. step-grandson gets the 790 & the 434. Plus they get all the ancillary stuff, and most all my FISHER gear too to split up between them.

Larry

Last edited:
Jenkster I'm not familiar with the case on the 737. Is it wood now or vinyl. I just did my daughter's sx790. With a heat gun the vinyl came off easy. This was my second time working with veneer. Just follow some simple steps and you should be ok
IMG_20180419_1631115_rewind.jpg

Last edited:
Jenkster; You can change the wording on the title. Above your 1st post on the RIGHT SIDE is "Thread Tools" with a drop down box arrow. Click on it and then click Edit Title. Click Save when done.

I promised my sx-737 to my almost 7 year old Grand-Daughter when one of 2 things happen. She turns 16 or when I get fitted for a Pine Peacoat (dead). Hopefully it's the 1st option. I'm 63 now and aging fast! :( My 5-1/2 Grandson gets the SX-939. my 9 y.o. step-grandson gets the 790 & the 434. Plus they get all the ancillary stuff, and most all my FISHER gear too to split up between them.

Larry
Nice Larry and thanks for reminding me about the title. None of my six grandchildren, and certainly not my children, have expressed interest in vintage gear. Maybe someday at least one of them will?

Jenkster I'm not familiar with the case on the 737. Is it wood now or vinyl. I just did my daughter's sx790. With a heat gun the vinyl came off easy. This was my second time working with veneer. Just follow some simple steps and you should be ok
View attachment 1181845
It had a vinyl cover that has some large scuffs on one side. Sad because the rest of the receiver is virtually flawless. If I started a project like that, I would surely screw it up.

No go with sawdust. He doesn’t have a pattern for it and, duh, it’s fishing season!

I had the same concerns. It's really not that bad. Strip the old case,fix any damage, and watch some youtube videos on how to veneer. What is the Measurement of the case. I'm thinking I have a leftover piece big enough I could send you.

Link to video of vinyl re-veneer of an SX-780.\:

Link to video of wood veneer basics:

Several good videos on Youtube on veneering

Yes, agree with the folks above to go ahead and re-veneer. I picked up some maple veneer at Rockler or Woodworkers Warehouse (can't remember which) to redo a friends SX-750, it wasn't hard at all and looks so much better. Here is a crummy pic:

SX_750.jpg

Veneering or re veneering.. Ha. Just not worth it most of the time if a guy is serious about making something better. Told myself years ago to not re veneer any of my Pioneers, Marantzs etc as modern and better solid wood options are more common now. Plus, the crumbly 60+ year old low quality factory wood in the edges and other places makes re veneering a outdated and dinosaur option.

Attachments

• altec704done.jpg
    altec704done.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 40
  • wc_pio_525_19.jpg
    wc_pio_525_19.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 41
  • wc_pio_525_23.jpg
    wc_pio_525_23.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 41
Veneering or re veneering.. Ha. Just not worth it most of the time if a guy is serious about making something better. Told myself years ago to not re veneer any of my Pioneers, Marantzs etc as modern and better solid wood options are more common now. Plus, the crumbly 60+ year old low quality factory wood in the edges and other places makes re veneering a outdated and dinosaur option.

I tend to agree on the solid wood option, but that would really suit the wood working enthusiast who has the experience and tooling to make it happen. Unless he or she pays someone to do it for them of course.
Re veneering is the easier option for most mere mortals and can have an equally satisfying result.
By the way, those units in the pics look deliicious ! :thumbsup:

I have an Akai 1200 receiver with vinyl fake wood covering its metal case. I added a pieces of 5/8 inch wide X 1 inch deep walnut scrap wood the height of the metal face plate to the sides at the front of the Akai 1200 with double sided sticky foam tape. From the front it looks like the walnut cover of my Pioneer SX-1010 receiver.

In the 1200 set up I have a turntable on the top with hockey puck type legs to let the hot air escape and I have other equipment near the sides of the 1200 so I do not notice the vinyl sides and top. Looks better than just the ole cheesy vinyl cover and not a big project like building a wooden case.

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom