anyone ever contemplate just getting rid of everything?

mike0565

ADS speaker nut
Subscriber
I rarely listen to my gear anymore, maybe once a week for maybe a 1/2 hour or so. 95% of the time it just sits there collecting dust. If you have, how much is it missed, and was it a bad or good move?

Everything covers a lot of territory, eh ... <G>

everything-listing-thumb-1000x563-ps4-us-04mar16

That said, I probably went a couple decades here, where life kind of got in the way of my listening enjoyment. I went ahead and dusted the gear occasionally, and eventually took up the habit again. Not exactly hardcore here, but an hour or two a session, couple times a week, makes it worthwhile.

Never, never, ever! I stupidly sold some GREAT gear but wouldn’t dream of being without. The one exception being when my modest HiFi system was burgled, stolen...rat bast**ds.

I just rarely have the time any longer and looking at it every day just sitting there not being put to use makes me ponder the thought. Working 11hrs a day Monday-friday and having your weekends working around the house, there's just not enough time to enjoy what I've got. I feel that it should be enjoyed more than I can, and maybe it would be more enjoyed by others.

I got rid of a bunch of my gear that I had used and liked for years, only to get newer equipment and refresh everything. I have not looked back. I think it all sounds better than the stuff I had. Only kept a few sentimental pieces that would have been too hard to part with even though I don't listen to them as much.

Unless realising on the gear is important and you feel that money would be better put to alternative uses, I would likely unplug the gear, cover it and/or store it.

It will still be there waiting for you when time and commitments allow.

I never listen to music steadily as a hobby. but I've collected music I like over the years, and now start with some simple gear. Once I find a good set of speakers to for my space constraints and maybe pick up a small sub if needed, I think that will be it. No super gear collecting or anything like that. I've had other hobbies where it has died out over time though, so I can relate to that.

Sometimes you have to move on, either for good or for a short while. Sometimes it can be more about the people around you than what you are actually doing as well and that can play a factor in interest as well.

Aside form three systems in use, I was going to sell off my gear. While it looks good on display, it doesn't get used.

I started selling it off and got to a point where I just couldn't sell what I had left. At this point I can't imagine selling all of it.

Rob

A normal person.... wait, a person acting normally can have a stereo in the home for when it's needed. A person acting normally doesn't make a stereo their main focus in life or entertainment. There is a lot more to life than sitting listening to music and starring at it. It's an appliance that's there to do a job when needed to entertain you, it doesn't need to be used hours everyday to justify it being in the home.

I don't know much about your circumstances, of course, but I'd suggest cutting back to working 8 hours a day instead of 11, and if there's that much work to do around the house, pay others to do it or move to an apartment where the landlord handles most things.

A normal person.... wait, a person acting normally can have a stereo in the home for when it's needed. A person acting normally doesn't make a stereo their main focus in life or entertainment. There is a lot more to life than sitting listening to music and starring at it. It's an appliance that's there to do a job when needed to entertain you, it doesn't need to be used hours everyday to justify it being in the home.
That makes an awful amount of sense. I always looked at it like a luxury, not as an appliance.

I don't know much about your circumstances, of course, but I'd suggest cutting back to working 8 hours a day instead of 11, and if there's that much work to do around the house, pay others to do it or move to an apartment where the landlord handles most things.
11hrs a day is the job that I have, and although going to an 8hr day is an option, it wouldn't give me the ability to save money the way that I do for emergencies and rainy days. Looking at it like an appliance as previously stated makes sense. I wouldn't be selling it off for money, it would be for it seldom being used

Keep the best of the best. Get rid of the rest. Everything runs its course so it is ok to move on.
Did this recently. I try not to hoard (but thats hard!) I had some "second tier" gear which I got rid of recently to clear the backlog and ensure that I only focus on the "top tier" gear in my signature.

This included an Akai AM-2450, Leak Delta 70, Technics SU-V6 and SU-3602, Sansui AU-888: all gear I loved and enjoyed working on - but not stuff that stayed in rotation long enough.

Other gear I flipped reluctantly recently was a Pioneer M22 (beat by the VFET L'amp) and next will be an Accuphase P300.

Working 11hrs a day Monday-friday and having your weekends working around the house, there's just not enough time to enjoy what I've got.
I don't work that many hours a week but might only get to listen to my main system for an hour a couple nights during the week, weekends I can get a little more time. But I also don't feel I have to sit in front of it to make it better. It's just a tool to have music in the home.

I feel that it should be enjoyed more than I can, and maybe it would be more enjoyed by others.
I'm sure with some of the equipment I have some would not want to go to work anymore and spend their whole time in front of it. But for me that's not what it's for, I don't need to be totally consumed to call it enjoyment.

That makes an awful amount of sense. I always looked at it like a luxury, not as an appliance.

When I was growing up everyone mostly had a stereo of some kind in the home. It was just a part of a home for when it was needed.

My bedroom system, Sansui Eight Deluxe and Sansui G8000 are on at least twelve hours a day. I use it for TV and music. The living room SX-1250/1280 system get used less often, but is well loved when it is used. I have another system in my work room that is used when I am screwing around with stuff. I would not ditch any of them. I do have some excess that probably should be sold off, but I keep a number of units for backups on the three systems. This collection is not hurting anyone and they are in my work room which was purchased for just this usage. My wife has her room full of women stuff and enjoys it right where it is.

Listening to music on a great sounding system is to me just as important as eating.
Read your comment below.

Music feeds the mind and soul and makes you feel Good.
The system really is just the delivery, as long as we have music in our life is the main point. I hear music everyday in at least three out of four locations and only one is the "best and great sounding" but they all bring music into my life.

Back
Top Bottom