Anyone bought a refrigerator they like?

toxcrusadr

Omelette au Fromage
Visiting mom and her 20 yr old Kenmore appears to be on the way out so I'm researching refrigerators. Last one I bought was 1989, knock on wood. Had good luck with Kenmore appliances over the years but that was awhile ago.

We usually don't buy the cheapest or the most expensive. Somewhere in the middle is where we live. Probably want some features like ice and water in the door but we don't need it to connect to Facebook and send us pics of the contents on our phones while we're at the store, if you know what I mean.

Whaddya got?

I purchased a Frigidaire unit from Lowes a couple years ago.

It has ice, water in the door.

Lot cheaper than Samsungs and some others.

I have a Samsung and I do not recommend it.
The ice dispenser chute too often becomes clogged with ice. Removing it is a PITA.
And it emits a faint high pitched squeal periodically.

I was about to buy a Frigidaire gas stove, just waiting for the price to drop again. After a lot of gas range research this one was the best deal for the price. Would not be surprised at all if the same was true of refrigerators.

Big Samsung fan here. Not a fan of the ice maker/chilled water fridges, heard far to many stories about flood damage when one let's go.

The last one I bought in 1998 was a big Kenmore for $900, quiet as a mouse, 4 degree temp swing, even everywhere. It has the entire ice maker in the door. Leaves more room in the freezer and makes it very easy to dump the ice basket into a travel cooler.
Dad has a big $1900 five year old Amana. Ten degree temp swing with hot/cold spots and lots of noise.
Good luck.

We generally go for a basic top freezer, no in door ice maker/water dispenser stuff for simplicity* and about teh years ago bought a Frigidare for our place in NJ and it worked great. Never a problem in all the time we owned it. We bought a new one list like it two yeas ago for our Texas home and it's had problems with both the main door seals, the freezer compartment seals and the friggin' handle broke!!! Methinks they changed something over the past few years or so.

* That seems to be where most of the problems occur.

Water and ice dispensers, along with trapdoors on the front are always painful. Lost count of the number of problems my family and friends have had with leaking water, broken trapdoors, ice makers gone crazy- even my mum's one turned the entire freezer into a giant ice-block and then broke the water feed hose, flooding the floor. It's now disconnected from the water and I removed the ice maker as you cannot repair the internal water hose- it broke right on the point where it goes into the door. That was a 630litre side by side stainless LG.

We just bought a nice Samsung 458Litre (fridge on top/freezer below) and being the fussy guy I am, I data logged its temperature every 15mins for a month and it is very consistent. Very quiet compressor I can hardly hear and has lovely glass shelves and multiple internal white LED illumination. We are very happy with it.

So you can see what a total measurements geek I am, here's the temperature log of the new Samsung. Set for 3 degrees Celscius. Averaged 2.6 degrees over 2720 measurements. Remarkable achievement with a family of four using it.

new fridge.jpg

The short peaks (about 6 degrees C max) correspond with the frost-free function where the compressor is turned off and the defrost heater kicks in.

Last edited:
Very happy with a pair on Miele I got about 6 months ago. They use less power than the single unit they replaced. Don't use the ice maker but its drawer is good place to keep food for my fish.

I bought a new $2k Samsung 26cf and hauled it all the way here on the ferry, hauled it home and drug it into the house after having to remove the doors on both the fridge as well as the house to fit. I get it back together, let it sit for a day just cuz. Then I plug it in, and I wait, and I wait while it hums away.. 24 freakin hours later it is still 70 inside!

So I call Samsung (after Sears where I bought it from wouldn't return my calls) and they say that they will send someone right out.. Knowing where I live, that there is no road and they would have to fly in here in a single engine plane, probably stay the night in a motel, I am immediately rolling my eyes but I play along. A few days goes by and I get a call back from Samsung saying it is highly unusual but there doesn't seem to be any service people in my area. Ok, so they cut me a check for $2000. But I am still out the disposal fee plus another $350 RT to take it back to Juneau on the ferry to remove the refrigerant if it had any to begin with..

Love Samsung phones, but not impressed with their appliances.

I have since bought another 26 CF but this time a GE which has been running properly for 3 years.. Knock on wood!

Kenmore I bought I replace the fking ice maker 4 times, decided to sell the damn house because of it!:beerchug:

We have a big Samsung beast with the icemaker and whatnot. Here in the UK it's called an "American-style 'Fridge" if the doors are side-by-side, which they are. In America I guess you'd just call it a 'fridge. I plumbed in the water line, which required drilling a hole through two feet of brick to route the line. That was fun. I have some serious drill gear; always good to get it out and use it, though it's sometimes hard to stop. People say, "Dave! Stop drilling holes! You'll weaken the foundation!" or "WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY CAR!!!??" and stuff.

I didn't buy the 'fridge -- Nikki bought it -- but I like it because it's got food in it.

Midrange is impressive, along with airy highs and excellent bass extension. Low level detail is amazing, and the soundstage is outstanding: I can almost see the stale broccoli and out-of-date hummus.

Actually, I can see the stale broccoli and out-of-date hummus.

I bought a Samsung side by side , Ice, water on the door in '07 when we moved in. It's worked flawlessly since (which i guess I take for granted .
I have no idea how (wherher) they change year to year.
Based solely on ownership I'd buy another but if I were in the market I'd look at consumers report .(what do they say in investing commercials?
Past performance is no guarantee of future performance , or something to that effect.
Alobar,
I'm sorry you had that experience.
I was hoping you'd go on to say they parachuted in a tech to fix yours . It would've made a great story!
Oh PS,
Had that been the case, I would've bought nothing but Samsung from here on:D

I bought one about 5 or 6 years ago at lowes. It's a SS side by side Whirlpool. Had to special order it and it took about 2 months to get it. I did not want an ice machine. They take up too much space in the freezer and I want that space for food. I do have a counter top ice machine for that. But I use very little ice.

Back
Top Bottom