Recommended Modern Amps

I recently purchased a Krell Duo 175. This amp made my Harbeth 7ES-3s really open up with a much fuller sound, especially in the low frequencies. My CDs, also sound much better. I've wanted a class A amp for a long time but couldn't buy one due to their high heat output. The Krell has something they call ibias technology. It allows the amp to use only 73 W at idle. Without the ibias, it would always be open all the way and use its maximum of 1500 W at all times. As my home state of California has the highest electric rates in the country and my bill is already high from my central air conditioner, the Krell was a perfect solution for my situation. It is made in the U.S. and their warranty and technical support have been excellent. I was surprised when it was shipped to my apartment on a Pallet. Krell obviously really cares that each amplifier arrives in perfect condition. Don't be put off by the retail price. It can be obtained online from an authorized dealer at a significant discount. (Although the online dealer won't give a free trial period.) I think they are allowing it to be sold online at a discount to capture more of the already crowded market of class A amplifiers. It has fans in the back that were completely silent in all the reviews I've read. (My fans never had to turn on.) It never gets even warm at high volumes. This may have something to do with the fact that my 6 ohm speakers, while not very efficient, are easy to drive compared to some difficult ones, like electrostatics. For a preamp, I'm using a completely restored GAS Thaedra. I'm very happy with this setup. Of course, this is a matter of taste, as some may want the matching Krell preamp which is supposed to be completely neutral and has the digital circuitry that allows an XLR connection.

Modern "mid-fi".

Emotiva BAS-X TA-100. High quality preamp, DAC and FM tuner with a "free" (cause I paid the same price on Amazon for a PT-100) 50 wpc power amp.

Another $50 gets you an Apt-X Bluetooth module.

You're stupid to buy anything else unless you need more power than this can provide or have more money than you know what to do with. Period.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Modern "mid-fi".

Emotiva BAS-X TA-100. High quality preamp, DAC and FM tuner with a "free" (cause I paid the same price on Amazon for a PT-100) 50 wpc power amp.

You're stupid to buy anything else unless you need more power than this can provide or have more money than you know what to do with. Period.

Tell me I'm wrong.
You are wrong! Sorry I could not help myself

ClassDAudio SDS 470C

300 into 8 ohms and doubles into 4. High end without the high price.

Onkyo A9555 is another great amplifier.

Enjoy the music. Appreciate the gear. Be thankful for the blessings that you have,

Modern "mid-fi".

Tell me I'm wrong.

That emotiva is intriguing...you have the PT-100, any experience listening to the integrated version?

My perspective on current gear is limited, since my current social circle has gear even more modest than my own. But I can make this comparison. The core of my system for several years has been an Onkyo TX-NR828 AVR. It does a number of things well, and has notably better sound than the modest Denon AVR I had before it (from long enough ago that an AVR could have but 2 channels). But at higher volumes there has been notable harshness in the higher frequencies through my budget Fluance XL5F towers. Took a chance on an Emotiva BasX A-500 two-channel amp for those fronts. Spec'd at 150 watts per channel versus 130 for the Onkyo, worst case it would have taken things a decibel higher with no other improvement. Well, it's far from the worst case. Clarity and attack are much improved. The harshness is gone from the higher frequencies, and the Fluances, which always had a nice midrange, now are transparent up the spectrum. Cymbals that before were lost in the blur are clear, crisp, distinct.

How much this is purely about the power amp section of the Onkyo versus the Emotiva, and how much is in the mating of that to specific speakers, I can't say. I'd previously used Klipsch RB51s as fronts, which were clearer at high frequencies using the Onkyo, but totally missing in the midrange compared to the Fluances. Since Klipsches are notably efficient, it could be the Fluances are just too much for the Onkyo to drive. Onkyo + Emotiva + Fluances is a strong improvement.

I'm pretty fond of my Audio By Van Alstine Ultravalve, driving a pair of Belle Klipsch.

Yeah, I have head nothing but praise for this. Seriously considered it but am so happy with my VERY inexpensive Allo Volt +. TPA 3118 Class D amp.

I have a Sugden A21SE. It doesn't get more musical than that. Very happy with it driving Heco Direkt 2 ways

Another Van Alstine fan here, although mine is solid state. Mine beat out a HK430. a TA3A, and a NAD C370 quite handily. Hand built by a single AVA employee and burned in and listened to by Frank himself.

Another Van Alstine fan here, although mine is solid state. Mine beat out a HK430. a TA3A, and a NAD C370 quite handily. Hand built by a single AVA employee and burned in and listened to by Frank himself.

What is the Van Alstine that you have?

Hmm... seems to be missing from my profile page.
Amp Insight Double 440 HC
Preamp Vision SL with remote

That emotiva is intriguing...you have the PT-100, any experience listening to the integrated version?

No, I've never heard the integrated amp, but I've been very impressed with the DAC and pre in the PT-100, and based on reviews at least the power amp seems quite solid.

Belles Aria integrated amp. At $1995 it's a steal. Excellent super quiet phono stage. The Belles is built wonderfully and is very musical and engaging. Great package in Black or Silver.

Ill have to say my Emotiva pt-100 preamp has been quite a nice surprise despite the #1 terrible remote #2 odd tuner programming. I still havnt got that set but its okay I dont need it really. eventually I will figure it out. I have till Jan 31 2019 to change my mind

I have two systems, Rogue Sphinx l tube hybrid integrated and Cronus Magnum l tube integrated setup in same room. Sphinx drives ADS L880/2 and Magnum drives L880/1. Speakers are each 89 db spl efficiency.
Each has 100 wpc at 8 ohms.
Either has plenty of power. Good matches for my jazz. With the Magnum slightly more velvety mids and highs.

I used to own some Emotiva pieces, but was ultimately disappointed when comparing to other gear and sold off the Emotiva stuff. Seeing these comments about the Emotiva A-300, I looked it up on their site.

I see Emotiva is still playing games with the 4 ohm power ratings, listing the wattage at a different THD and frequency than what’s stated at the 8 ohm wattage spec. Any company that does this is putting sales ahead of integrity. Buyer beware.

For recommended modern amp, I’ll suggest the current production Adcom 555SE. This is the same amp that they had back in the 90’s that they sold over 100,000 units of. Well, the 555 and 555II.

The SE version now has speaker relays, and internal boards and wiring that meet current electrical safety specs. With this amp and a Parasound P5 I can get holographic imaging with Totem Rainmaker speakers.

I had never experienced 3D imaging like this before, it’s amazing. The Nad C375BEE never gave me holographic imaging, nor various old school integrated amps from Harman or Onkyo.

For this reason alone it’s worth a look.

I own the Emotiva pt-100, ta-100 and a-300...couldnt be happier. Dead silent gear with every hook up needed. The ta-100 is the best value in audio right now. Mm/mc phono stage is not to bad either. I agree with runnin on the specs but if you want great sound for reasonable grip check them out. Great people,free shipping and they have a forum thats really good to boot.

Yeah, I got kicked out of that forum for posting about the weakness of their amps. I won’t bother you with what I found out, but rest assured that everything they make, and certainly their budget lines, are built to a price point, with many compromises.

Back
Top Bottom