Anyone bought a refrigerator they like?

Visiting mom and her 20 yr old Kenmore appears to be on the way out so I'm researching refrigerators. Last one I bought was 1989, knock on wood. Had good luck with Kenmore appliances over the years but that was awhile ago.

We usually don't buy the cheapest or the most expensive. Somewhere in the middle is where we live. Probably want some features like ice and water in the door but we don't need it to connect to Facebook and send us pics of the contents on our phones while we're at the store, if you know what I mean.

Whaddya got?

A 20-year old Kenmore.

It's a big beast that came with the house, 21 cuft w/freezer on the bottom, and works great when it works. It slowly lost the ability to drive air into the main compartment, and cooled to about 45 degrees F. Took me 3 tries to repair it (not counting external water line for ice maker, which I have discarded). Ultimate fix for it was replacing the defrost cycle thermostat, which required an 8 hour defrost and several panel removals, including the freezer door. The thermostats seem to be a known problem; the bimetal goes bad and swells up until it breaks the case. If you have patience and a screwdriver or 1/4" nut driver, you can replace it. Also defrost timer fix is easy too if that's an issue. Cheaper than buying new.

(and I offer all this up expecting the thread to go to off-topic, b/c really...)

I was about to re-subscribe, but saw this thread (and one about legal stuff and one about cats, all on the first page) and realized there is little useful audio discussion here anymore.

Ah, c'mon man, we've all chewed up most any topic here. Go with the flow.

Me, I'm nursing a 20+ year old fridge that was old when I moved here (2001) and it is still going strong. I find this thread interesting.

We had to buy a new fridge 2 years ago. The kitchen was being renovated, and finally I was going to get the fridge of my dreams. The fridge that came with the house was probably the original that was bought for the house in 1969! The second one I bought 4 years ago when the first one died. It cost me $80, but I had to get it. It nearly killed me.

So two years ago, we went researching, and liked the Samsung 4 door, until we found the KitchenAid 5 door. What a beauty! Freezer on the bottom, two drawers and two doors. The water dispenser/ice dispenser does the best crushed ice! One drawer has adjustable settings, and is exclusively used as the “magic drink drawer” as my stepdaughter fondly named it. And room in the freezer for glasses! :D

I’m a happy man now, and it runs pretty quietly. This was taken in early December 2016. The kitchen was ready December 23!

F44B89E4-156E-4EEB-80A7-127A4BD5234D.jpeg

Last edited:
We are limited on space, so as it goes, limited on selection/size. We have a Kenmore that is pushing 25 years old, and works fine.

They're all junk.

Bought a new one last year (don't even know what brand). Our appliance guy said buy anything but Samsung - and he sells them, too.

I bought a no frills Amana over 30 years ago, have moved it several times, including cross country, and it still works great. Freezer in the bottom.

I was about to re-subscribe, but saw this thread (and one about legal stuff and one about cats, all on the first page) and realized there is little useful audio discussion here anymore.
if *that* is your takeaway from the entire embodiment of the AK based on one misplaced thread then....well...words escape. and if I did find them, grandma would not approve...

We bought a new Fridge. 3rd one in 35 years we have lived here. Don't go out and spend $3500 cause it ain't no better. Our $$$$$ Electrosux did not last

Oh, c'mon, give the guy a break, the fridge is where you keep your drinks nice an cold to enjoy while you listen to your music. Anyway, I WAS a big fan of Kenmore and Craftsman stuff, and I mean WAS, but in the last decade or so their quality has really gone down, way down. Anyone want to buy a Kenmore washer and drier set, or a microwave, or a Craftsman lawn mower? Lightly used, I'll give them to you cheap. How about Craftsman tools. Ratchets and wrenches always had "Proudly Made In The USA" engraved in the handles. Now what you get has "Made in China" engraved very small in a corner.

Last edited:
Oh, c'mon, give the guy a break, the fridge is where you keep your drinks nice and cold to enjoy while you listen to your music. Anyway, I WAS a big fan of Kenmore and Craftsman stuff, and I mean WAS, but in the last decade or so their quality has gone down, way down. Anyone want to buy a Kenmore washer and drier set, or a microwave, or a Craftsman lawn mower? Lightly used, I'll give them to you cheap. How about Craftsman tools. Ratchets and wrenches always had "Proudly Made In The USA" engraved in the handles. Now what you get has "Made in China" engraved very small in a corner.

Sorry about the double post. The battery on the laptop went down at the moment I hit "post" and I thought it did not go thru. I guess the battery is "Made in China".

Sorry about the double post. The battery on the laptop went down at the moment I hit "post" and I thought it did not go thru. I guess the battery is "Made in China".
woulda been more believable if you said 'was being chased by a chupacabra.......' ;-)

Last edited:
I was about to buy a Frigidaire gas stove, just waiting for the price to drop again.

A Frigidaire stove makes as much sense as our Hotpoint freezer.

Our refrigerator is a 20 year old Whirlpool, freezer on top. Other than replacing the ice maker myself (instructions say to turn it off when the water supply is off, but we were not home when some idiot hit a fire hydrant in our neighborhood) there has been no problems.

Time for pix of cats on refrigerators !!

:banana:

My grandmother's Siamese would often lay on top of the fridge. It was a nice warm spot, and she had a good view of most of the house from up there. She also loved to be brushed, so shedding was not a problem.

Roger that one - I bought a $$ Bosch electric range, and the oven has been on the fritz practically since new (heater fans failed twice, now out of warranty). They should stick with DWs (my 25yr old Bosch DW still runs like a sewing machine).
Wish to heck I'd picked the induction version, too. Bah.

Back
Top Bottom