The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

This is a very long thread and I apologize if I've missed this, but is there such a thing as a very long, flexible straw thingy for Deoxit? You know, for those pots that are a long ways away from convenience? I bought a few packs of the Flexible Extension for Perfect-Straw, but I don't know if it will be long enough. Any suggestions?

Couple straws joined with the more rubbery shrink tubing? Or maybe even better, very thin silicone tubing?

hi all, I have a simple question here. Forgive me if this might have been covered but this is a very long 20 pages thread......

There are mainly 4 types of DeoxITs according to https://system.na3.netsuite.com/cor...&c=ACCT113328&h=39a7ad1dcf8b316671a7&_xt=.pdf

D5 Spray, Gold G5, Shield S5, and Fader F5

If my understanding is correct, I should first use D5 to spray all the knobs, pots, and switches, then followed by ProLube or DeOxit GOLD (as in the Idiot's Guide in page 1). Is ProLube now called Fader?

In my country there's no one selling any DeoxIT products, so I'll have to buy through amazon or other sources and that brings the prices up a lot. If I only want to buy 2 products, should I get

D5 + Gold G5, or
D5 + Fader F5?

Also, all these are available in 5% spray, 100% spray, 100% solution, pen, wipe, and needle formats. May I know which ones are most essential? If again, to minimize cost, what should I choose?

Thanks a lot.

I predominantly use D5 followed by Faderlube (once the D5 is dry). For sliders, only the Faderlube. I only use the Gold on gold contacts.

I've got some DeOxit D5, guess I need to pick up Faderlube

Anyone ever try taking a blow dryer over things to help dry faster? lol

Follow the manufacturer's directions. The directions do not describe using forced air to aid in evaporation. Probably because there is a chemical reaction going on and too quick of an evaporation rate may adversely affect the results. Deoxit reacts with the surface to remove oxidation. Let it work as intended.

FWIW after 10-15 minutes I used my air gun to make sure all was dry after. Just did a JVC 5505 last month and it works great. Also if you are on Amazon Prime keep a look out for sales. I bought two cans last year for $9.99/can. previously had paid $12.99/can glad i did because I haven't seen them that cheap since. now wishing i had bought 4!

This idiot jumped off the DeoxIT bandwagon. $17.99/can at my local electronics retailer. Sorry, no more. It's madness.

And that's minus shipping. As I have stated elsewhere, it's still overpriced.

And when, not if, your controls and contacts in your vintage receiver, amp, preamp, turntable/cartridge, even speaker connectors get corroded and they require a good cleaning and service, you can pay a tech to spray probably the same product and spend your money that way. Sure, there are a lot of good contact cleaners out there too, and some are less expensive, some may be reasonably or just as good.

But DeOxit has developed a pretty good track record with professionals and amateur / DIY users alike. That experiential results have fortified the DeOxit reputation makes it a reasonable and reliable recommendation, and for some, paying for a good useful tool is well worth the few extra dollars and cents. IME, a can of DeOxit has already lasted 15 years even with judicious use. Heck, I may even still have some Cramolin around somewhere. I was gifted some D5, Pro Gold, and Fader Lube as well, and they are an important part of my audio as well as general electrical tool box.

And when, not if, your controls and contacts in your vintage receiver, amp, preamp, turntable/cartridge, even speaker connectors get corroded and they require a good cleaning and service, you can pay a tech to spray probably the same product and spend your money that way. Sure, there are a lot of good contact cleaners out there too, and some are less expensive, some may be reasonably or just as good.

But DeOxit has developed a pretty good track record with professionals and amateur / DIY users alike. That experiential results have fortified the DeOxit reputation makes it a reasonable and reliable recommendation, and for some, paying for a good useful tool is well worth the few extra dollars and cents. IME, a can of DeOxit has already lasted 15 years even with judicious use. Heck, I may even still have some Cramolin around somewhere. I was gifted some D5, Pro Gold, and Fader Lube as well, and they are an important part of my audio as well as general electrical tool box.

Still insanely expensive.

$20 delivered to your front door for a 5 ounce can, that will last you a LONG time.

I think that is more than a fair price for what DeOxit does.

Or I guess you can just have scratchy pots... :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Back
Top Bottom