Crazy shipping prices these days

ScramMan2

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just sold a quad of KT88 tubes. All 2 pounds USPS via some snail trail method was $10.78. 2 to 9 days.

Glad I'm only dealing in media, CDs and vinyl. Talk about sticker shock!

ALL shipping companies raised their rates over the last year or two. I ship a lot of smallish packages (typically a 12" x 12" x 10", slightly under 2 lbs. box) via USPS Priority Mail, across the US, usually costs right around $10, and gets to it`s destination in 2 days. Not too bad.

One caveat, though....the USPS really tries to push it`s "Flat-Rate Priority Mail" option, and that`s where they really gouge you....it`s about twice the cost of regular Priority Mail, and doesn`t get there any faster, The only benefit is that they allow a bit more weight, regular PM limits you to 2 lbs., then they start adding surcharges for weight.

It really depends where it is going as well. Flat rate to an opposite coast can be a god send. With increasing shipping costs sending something to the other side of the country from your location can get ridiculously expensive. If it's got some weight/size to it you are really in for a pretty big charge. Problem with flat rate is most of the packaging is not large enough/suitable for most of the toys we all usually deal in. That's when I go with FedEx, they routinely have the least expensive rates for larger/heavier items of all of the major carriers.

ALL shipping companies raised their rates over the last year or two. I ship a lot of smallish packages (typically a 12" x 12" x 10", slightly under 2 lbs. box) via USPS Priority Mail, across the US, usually costs right around $10, and gets to it`s destination in 2 days. Not too bad.

One caveat, though....the USPS really tries to push it`s "Flat-Rate Priority Mail" option, and that`s where they really gouge you....it`s about twice the cost of regular Priority Mail, and doesn`t get there any faster, The only benefit is that they allow a bit more weight, regular PM limits you to 2 lbs., then they start adding surcharges for weight.

I agree, Flat Rate is a scam, unless of course your shipping something 30 lbs. that can fit in one of there undersized boxes.
I ship a lot USPS 1st class mail which arrives as fast most the time as Priority, anything 13oz's and under in my own box at or under 12" LxWxD and ship Priority Mail most everything else.
Parcel Post, which I don't believe it's called anymore is really not safe for any item unless it's a pound of lead or you packed so it can be run over and survive and takes as much as 2 weeks sometimes to deliver depending on where.
Choices are getting fewer nowadays but, USPS is still the most economical way to ship if you pack properly.
Just make sure you see all the options when going to there site, somethings (for the lack of the proper word) have to be clicked on or they won't show up.

I think they analyzed the size of everything in the world. Then they designed their flat rate boxes so nothing fits in a box about the size you need, only the next size up, which is too big and way more expensive.

I think they analyzed the size of everything in the world. Then they designed their flat rate boxes so nothing fits in a box about the size you need, only the next size up, which is too big and way more expensive.

BINGO! declare.gif

It really depends where it is going as well. Flat rate to an opposite coast can be a god send. With increasing shipping costs sending something to the other side of the country from your location can get ridiculously expensive. If it's got some weight/size to it you are really in for a pretty big charge. Problem with flat rate is most of the packaging is not large enough/suitable for most of the toys we all usually deal in. That's when I go with FedEx, they routinely have the least expensive rates for larger/heavier items of all of the major carriers.

Don't forget to check out USPS's Regional Rate Boxes A and B (each in two sizes) for Priority Mail. Depending on destination, they can go pretty cheap although securing postage can be a bit of a pain. (They're red-headed stepchildren to your local post office.)

Don't forget to check out USPS's Regional Rate Boxes A and B (each in two sizes) for Priority Mail. Depending on destination, they can go pretty cheap although securing postage can be a bit of a pain. (They're red-headed stepchildren to your local post office.)
Now there's something I've never heard of before, thanks for the tip!

Gotta order the boxes (free in 25 pcs/pack ) direct from USPS. Local POs will send you packing: they hate Regional Rate Boxes and LURVE the Flat Rate ones.

...and yet you can get a huge/unwieldy 40 pound bag of dog food delivered same day/overnight for free, online. Go figure...

Can you imagine what that’d cost you if you walked into your post office and plopped that on the counter!

...and yet you can get a huge/unwieldy 40 pound bag of dog food delivered same day/overnight for free, online. Go figure...

Can you imagine what that’d cost you if you walked into your post office and plopped that on the counter!

The killer deals to the huge guys are why the rates to us little guys keep going up.

Back
Top Bottom