Invaders from Mars (The original, not that dreadful remake)

the skipper

Professional Curmudgeon
Just found, on Amazon Prime, the original 1953 version of this movie.

invaders from mars.jpg

I loved this as a kid and it always stuck in my memory. It brings back Saturday afternoon movies on our old B & W TV. I think that since I was about the same age (maybe a bit younger) than the protagonist I identified with him. Also, even though I didn't know it then, I was impressed with the cinematography.

And, seeing it in color for the first time and with no commercials was a special treat. I still like it. I was an eight year old kid again watching it, grinning from ear to ear. And, yes, the actors did chew the scenery but that was part of the charm.

There are a lot of "B" films that are better than their reputations.
Monolith Monsters for one.
Them!

I've been watching old Lloyd Nolan detective flicks and "Sleepers West" is pretty good, with some spectacular effects.

I haven't seen that particular movie, but I like most of the old scifi and horror movies like it that I watch. I enjoy them way more than most of the modern multi-million dollar budget CGI crap-fests.

I remember Invaders from Mars, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956), Them, The Thing (1951) and The Crawling Eye caused me many sleepless nights as a kid.

crawling-eye-1958.jpg

Back
Top Bottom