2238b No phono

Hebridean

Connected up the turntable a couple of days ago to find that there was sound coming from the speakers but not a lot of it.
So i've opened it up and gave the selector switch above the phono board a good clean/soaking to no avail, but noticed a couple of things which are in the images. On the soldered underside there are a four pins sticking up through the board that are unsoldered in the darker green area. I'm thinking that this is because they are not part of the circuit. On the top side the larger black cap near the bottom appears to have been weeping onto the board and i'm thinking that this is the likely culprit causing the low volume. There's also a red wire in the bottom right connected to nothing which looks odd.
Anyway i'd be grateful for any advice and opinions on my observations and anything that looks suspect in the photos.DSCF7378.jpg DSCF7393.jpg

I’ll let some of the better troubleshooters address your main problem but I can confirm those four pins are not supposed to be soldered. You can tell because there’s no solder pad around them. Also, the larger cap you noted as leaking is not leaking. It’s large enough they used glue to hold it on the board during assembly and wave soldering at the factory. I’m just finishing a 2226b with the same board. Good luck finding the culprit. :thumbsup:

Mike

The wiring to the board appears to have been modified. The 3 wires with the brown sheathing, that comes from the phono jacks, has been moved to the locations at the bottom of the picture. But I'd expect them to be going to J401, J402, and J403 which are at the top of the picture. Note how the pink wire is soldered directly to the end of a resistor. Same with the white wire.

The red lead is just hanging there not connected to anything? This may be power to the board which I think would have been connected to J421 (bottom of the picture).

The 'weeping' you see is glue. And the unsoldered pins are supposed to be that way, there are no traces on the board where they come through.

Could we get a closer picture of the board in the area where the brown sheathed pink/black/white wires are soldered?

Good call on the modification. I should have noticed that. Here’s a pic of my 2226b board (post rebuild) just so you can see how the wiring was supposed to be.

673E9C03-D808-4277-9330-829698C36DB8.jpeg

DSCF7393 smaller.jpg Many thanks for your replies and from what you're saying it's looking like it's been rewired wrongly. Would this not affect the otherr inputs which are all working fine? I've added a close up of the bottom section RunningdogDSCF7393 smaller.jpg

Would this not affect the otherr inputs which are all working fine?
Thanks for the pictures. The other inputs go directly to the selector switch, as does the output from the phono board. So the other inputs are not affected by this board.

Thanks to your advice we have full volume sound coming from the right channel and recon the other isn't working because of my own limitations. Not having or knowing what the small spiral connectors are called i spot soldered the wires onto the pins. Not good i know, but i don't know any better and would like to know what these connectors are called so i can get some and do it right.

Good to hear one channel is working now.

The leads were originally wire wrapped. It's the actual lead wire wrapped tightly around the post with a wire wrapping tool.

It's fine to solder the leads to the jumpers. If possible strip back the wire casing a little so there some fresh wire exposed to solder to the jumper.

Thanks for your reply Runningdog, and i'll have another go at soldering the red left channel J401 connection tomorrow.

A further update. I've reconnected the three wires stripping back a wee bit getting to fresh wire and soldered them on good, but still nothing from the left channel. Any further suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Make sure it's not the turntable side. Swap the left and right phono cables to check that. If it's the turntable the sound will now work on the left and not the right.

Thanks for your suggestion rBuckner, but i tried that and also connected the turntable to my cr1000 receiver and it played faultlessly. So i'm thinking there's something still maybe connected in the wrong place or a components kaput.

I'd love to come over and fix it personally seeing where you are! Not in the budget right now though... About 4-5 years ago my wife and I were with a tour group and went through quite a bit of your country. So beautiful. I found a place I could live happily there, Pitlochry. So charming there.

Haha, yes i wish they would hurry up and finish developing that teleporter! Aye Pitlochry's a bonnie spot that i spent many a night in as a stop off on my way up North of Inverness when i lived there. Though i'm now living in the wet and windswept Isle of Lewis which is also beautiful in it's own way, and you are more than welcome to some of that rain which would be welcome in Arizona i'd imagine.

Back
Top Bottom