I can't stand it anymore DSL + Copper= Much suckage

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I was just looking at the local cable outfit and the minimum speed they offer is 100 Mbps, with no cap's. I am tried of fighting to maintane 10 Mbps with my Centurylink Neolithic copper the CL tech's do their best with the 50 plus year copper lines but there only so.much they can do with a DSL just short of 5,000 Feet from the switch.

Last edited:
And big issue with that slow speeds, is maintenance "No Want To, So Usually No Workus, so thereforeus "Screw YouUs". Century No Link is more like CenturyStink aka CenturyPayUS, and we no careforyouus. Unfortunately, reality in this modern world.

You could be stuck with satellite internet like us. 1-25 mbps depending on congestion, streaming choked at 420p, 150 gig cap, which is actually larger than the standard cap, which now is 60 gigs at 720p, or 40 gigs at 420p. And then it slows down during evenings and sometimes just stops around midnight for some reason. Oh, and you could be paying 150 bucks a month for this awesome service.

That being said, I wouldn't trade our place for city living for anything. Though, if we had cell service, it would be nice.

If I had access to 100 mbps cap free internet at a decent, or even indecent price I would jump in a heartbeat.

Won't happen until there's enough people near you per mile, or some Billionaire who wants to be wired, pays obscene $$$ to get good pipes extended out to you., or a Utility company who installs high speed fiber to remote read their meters. and you can ride on that cheaply.

I have said for many years there needs to be a national federally financed program like Rural Electrification and Telephone Service Act of 1936. It was considered complete in 1963. There has been bogues pork barrel high speed internet plans that were supposed to bring high speed internet to rural areas, and underserved areas like Wyoming but the money's all ended going down a black hole. If a national program was started it might take 20 years to complete it but it's goal should be that no matter where you live you should have access to high speed internet the standard should be at least 50 mbps up/down. with a ping of less the 75 ms. This ping would take into account some of the wireless delivery systems that would be necessary to get into the middle of nowhere which defines a lot of Wyoming, The thing is it is an investment that will pay off big time for the national economy. The Defense Interstate Highway System impact on the US economy is massive.

They are doing that exact thing in my rural area.
The locally owned Telco received a broadband grant from the state to run fiber to everyone in my town and the adjacent one.
We will have minimum of 100meg speed with no cap for $59/month by this August.
Goodbye 7mbps $114/month cable!!!

Bob

I have said for many years there needs to be a national federally financed program like Rural Electrification and Telephone Service Act of 1936.

There is. It was codified as part of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Specifically, 47 U.S. Code § 254 if you want to look it up. Unfortunately, the program's effectiveness often depends upon who your local telephone/broadband provider is. The large Bell Companies (remember US West?) basically abandoned many rural areas. The REA (Rural Electrification Administration) has changed its name to RUS (Rural Utilities Service) and still provides loans for the provision of rural broadband services.

In Wyoming Greybull, Wyoming got sick and tired of the internet service they were getting from US West. The city decided to put in their own modern Fiber Optic system. US West sued trying stop the city from doing this. The court threw US West out of court room. Since that time numerous retail stores have moved their online ordering operations to Greybull putting a lot of people in tne city to work. The pay back for Greybull has been very good.

Last edited:
Copper is no good to us, we are too far from the exchange for decent internet. Australia has a national broadband build going on, but we aren't going to see it.

Our internet comes from a line of sight microwave link (from the red circle), about 18km (as the crow flies) away on the border ranges.

billborough repeater.jpg

Here's the repeater zoomed in. (it's a lovely day today huh?)

billborough zoomed.JPG

My current speed isn't too bad, no good for any type of streaming however but we don't care.

speed test.JPG

There is. It was codified as part of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Specifically, 47 U.S. Code § 254 if you want to look it up. Unfortunately, the program's effectiveness often depends upon who your local telephone/broadband provider is. The large Bell Companies (remember US West?) basically abandoned many rural areas. The REA (Rural Electrification Administration) has changed its name to RUS (Rural Utilities Service) and still provides loans for the provision of rural broadband services.

This is one of those Black Hole funds. You can follow this sort of thing over at Broadband Reports. So much of the money in these programs have been used to build out systems in suburban areas.

100/10 Mbps here. About $65/mo if standalone Internet service, knock off $10 or so if you have bundled with TV. Normally I get about 20% over at one house and about 5% under at the other house. Same town, albeit East side vs. West side, same CATV provider.

We just got fiber in our neighborhood (Comcast) so I’m at 1gbps or 1000mbps but that’s only if using cat 5 , if using WiFi it’s at around 500mbps which is still blazing fast. I’m paying $70 for that and loving it so far . Streaming 4K ,gaming etc with no worries .

Audiofreak71

I love the city, TEHO, but we just moved into a brand new highrise, and get 1Gbps down AND UP! Symmetrical. It's awesome and I have 3 devices hard-wired into ethernet ports built into the rooms. all for $75/month, BUT the only downside is, it's my only choice, I have no way of switching providers and they are the only one I get.

Won't happen until there's enough people near you per mile, or some Billionaire who wants to be wired, pays obscene $$$ to get good pipes extended out to you., or a Utility company who installs high speed fiber to remote read their meters. and you can ride on that cheaply.
Our utility company is supposed to have us connected by the end of next year. Our two choices are the phone company or satellite Internet. Pick your poison, I suppose. It takes close to an hour to upload a 45-60 second HD video, but I can upload it from my phone in minutes. They require you to have home phone service to be able to have their Internet service. I have a feeling they're going to lose a ton of business when the electric company gets it ran out this far.

Verizon DSL is it for us, unless we want miserably slow dial-up or overpriced, slow, unreliable satellite. The DSL hasn't even been here that long, and the service line ends less than 2 miles down the road. We probably only got it because a local woman started a petition (which we gladly signed) and bitched and moaned constantly to Verizon.

Cell internet is out of the question, too. Unless you stand in certain spots outside, there is no usable cell service here to even make a call.:mad:

I could be wrong, but I swear that they ran fiber along the main road that is 1 mile away, but that was a number of years ago. If they did, it wasn't for anyone around here's benefit.:rolleyes:

In all honesty, the DSL isn't bad. It's sufficient for us. It's a good thing too, because it'll probably be a LONG time before anything better comes through.

Last edited:
Our utility company is supposed to have us connected by the end of next year. Our two choices are the phone company or satellite Internet. Pick your poison, I suppose. It takes close to an hour to upload a 45-60 second HD video, but I can upload it from my phone in minutes. They require you to have home phone service to be able to have their Internet service. I have a feeling they're going to lose a ton of business when the electric company gets it ran out this far.

Satellite is so slow, that it makes 56K modems look reliable.

Wow. The US is still practically in the internet Dark Ages it seems. Well that's what you get when you let the "free market" (LOL!) take over something that should be treated as a public utility.

Wow. The US is still practically in the internet Dark Ages it seems. Well that's what you get when you let the "free market" (LOL!) take over something that should be treated as a public utility.
It all depends where you live. If you live in a rural area, the utility companies aren't going to spend a fortune to upgrade service for just a handful of people. It would take them a long time to get their money back (if ever in some cases).

I don't like it, but I can understand why it's that way.

Last edited:

LOL.. yeah the US is such a small little country... Getting 1000Mbps up AND down for $70/month is internet dark ages. I guess where you're from you can be on top of a mountain and get fiber to your house for $25/month?

Back
Top Bottom