Magnum dynalab st-2 substitute ?

That Amazon whip looks like a car radio antenna. Could be a compatibility issue.
The couple that I have came previously owned from that big auction site.
They lived indoors and were as new. They pop up often but you have to act quick.
They all sell.
Good luck.

Does anyone have a good substitute for a magnum dynalab st-2 ? the current price for one is $129tis

so far I found this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K4YOQC/ref=psdc_10981691_t1_B06XYYGQCT

pretty much looking for a tall whip antenna

That antenna is just a basic quarter wave length antenna. It needs to have some type of ground plane to work correctly. This is somewhat supplied by the vehicle that it is mounted on. If it is just mounted on a mast, the feed line will become part of the antenna and the antenna's performance will not be well defined. If you get lucky the combination of the antenna and feed line may meet your needs.

The ST-2 antenna is an end fed half wave antenna with the needed matching network in its base. This allows the feed line to be fairly well decoupled from the antenna, resulting in more predictable performance.

In theory, if both antennas are perfectly installed the ST-2 will have some gain (be more sensitive) compared to the antenna that referenced.

The Metz antenna is basically the same type of antenna as the ST-2 (an end fed half wave antenna) and should have similar performance.

I have no affiliation.

upload_2018-5-12_18-24-33.png

pretty much looking for a tall whip antenna

How tall is tall?

The next step in length would be a 5/8 wave length antenna. If tuned for about the center of the FM broadcast band, it would be about 6 feet long. A 5/8 wavelength antenna needs a matching network in its base and ground plane radials to work correctly as shown in the picture below.

Below is an example of a 5/8 wave FM broadcast band antenna.

upload_2018-5-12_18-37-28.png

This antenna will likely be the best performing of all of the above antennas, but it is also not the cheapest, and it is somewhat more conspicuous, but it is not just a whip antenna.

This is the above antenna.

upload_2018-5-12_18-48-23.png

I am just copying this antenna

fm-antenna-stack.jpg

but is going to be a stellar labs http://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/30-2460/four-element-directional-outdoor/dp/97W3565?st=fm antenna and cheap whip antenna on the top

or anyone...

I might start using mine again. Will any coax cable work with it or does it have to be the RG (6 or 9?) that came with it?

Any 75 Ohm coaxial cable will work, but it is not a bad idea to use the lowest loss, best quality cable that you can. This will reduce signal loss and help to prevent the coaxial cable from picking up unwanted electrical noise due to poor shielding.

cheap whip antenna on the top

Given your additional information, either the ST-2 or the Metz antenna would likely be a good choice.

Be sure to use weather proof connectors for all outside connections and at a minimum, install a grounding block before the feed line enters the house. In the real world it is not a bad idea to ground your outside antenna to at least NEC code, or you local codes if they are more strict.

upload_2018-5-14_0-22-16.png

Back
Top Bottom