anyone ever contemplate just getting rid of everything?

Sounds like you've moved on to other endeavors mostly but still listen. When you go a year without firing it up, then consider ditching it. Once a week justifies it's presence.

And it happens. As we can attest to, many homes do not have the requisite stereo system anymore. Many adults I know don't listen to music in the home at all, maybe in the car or out but that's it. Old suckers nowadays seem to like the TV and news programs. To each their own.

I can see getting rid of all kind of stuff in the future but will always have at least one main system for listening. I'm addicted, but liking it.

I dunno, it is just a possibility that the OP, instead of getting rid of the gear just needs a transfusion of new to him music to bring him back to the fold. For much of my life I worked 10 hour days, and sometimes even 12, chasing work all over Alaska and down the west coast, but while home I still found time enough to enjoy music although due to moving all around for a period of 30 years I did need to lighten my load on gear. In 1985 I sent my JBL L200's to my brothers place along with my Kenwood seporates.

Well somehow 30 years went by and by that time I just figured it was his. Then he called me up out of the blue and wanted to know if I wanted it all back as he wasn't using any of it. So, a few years ago I got all my old stuff back, spent time and money getting it rebuilt and am pretty darn grateful for what I have, bought new by me when I was barely old enough to drink (45 years ago!). Had I sold all that stuff 30 years ago like I could have justified doing, I would have regretted it the rest of my life!

Think carefully... And nope, it is more than a freakin toaster oven we are talking about here. Appliances and nice vintage or modern audio gear have no comparison what so ever IMHO!

I'd really like to gather up all my misc. gear, photograph it, list it ALL for 1 price, take it or leave it. And may I add, "the price forced me to buy it", price.

As I get older I'm starting to value quiet times more but that doesn't make me appreciate my stereos any less.

This is totally me.

I've mentioned it before, but I'll repeat it here; I've got a lifetime behind me of working in bars and nightclubs, usually with music played at damaging levels.

Now I'm perfectly content with silence. Neither my car nor my jeep have a stereo in them. It drives people insane to ride in my vehicles LOL - "how can you drive without any music playing!?!?" A lot of times in the house, there's nothing playing either. Just listening to the nature sounds coming from the farm that surrounds - the little coqui frogs (like tonight :) ), the guinea hens and the geese when they get to talking, or even the "crazy rooster crowing midnight" or at 2AM, or 3, or 4 etc (those things never sleep). LOL

The stereo is there when I want to listen. And there are times that it may be on all day. But sometimes, a lot of times actually, I'd much rather just enjoy the silence.

I sold most of my 110V gear a few years back when moving to New Zealand. Took a few things with me, but learned that converting it to 220V is easier said than done. Sold or gave away all of it in the end. I took with me and still have more speakers that I can use here. Affordable houses in Auckland are much smaller than in Ohio.

Sold my record collection too, and gave away a couple of hundred tapes. I still got the CDs, but ripped them all to FLAC.

Here I bought a couple of amps of which only one is in regular use. So nothing like what I had in the US. I've got a decent system to listen to now, but I am not trading up and down anymore trying to improve it. I am spending much more time at the beach now. :thumbsup:

Well then, I`m retired, and at home most(99%) of the day.
So, I have background music running through 4 different room`s system`s fed by a master ripped music source from the time I wake up until I switch over to BR/DVD`s movie for the evening`s movie watching(no sat. no cable, and no OTA programing used, or desired.

I don`t "have more gear than I need, and don`t need any more gear then I have", with a few reasonable important backup gear(SS/tube amplifiers, usb capable DVD players, preamps, computers, and surge/spike protectors) stored about my house, plus a pretty well appointed electronic repair work shop, with two benches, and some skills to address most problems

I have had in the past had multi CD players, or now gone dark, big dish digital music "DMX streaming", (with now 2 independent duplicated 10, 000 + song ripped music sources) I have always had quality sounding background music playing in my house for decades, and the few times that for whatever reason it wasn`t, my house seemed like it was dead, or at least lifeless, and that was promptly looked into until it was resolved, as outside sources, such as FM, etc. was not a option for me, unless a total last resort !
I wouldn`t wish to try to live without my all day background music, as I would be ready for a "dirt nap" after a period of time.

I have never actively got into seeking/collecting stereo gear, though over my 40 plus years of being involved in the audio business, I have picked up some gear over the years, but most of that was repaired, if needed, and given to, or sold at my cost to friends, who were without, or could benefit from an equipment upgrade, and that were interested..

I, being never married, and a person of means, could easily and stupidly fill up my house with all kinds of unneeded/unused stereo equipment, but can`t see the point for my 63 yr. old mindset !!

But, I don`t judge or criticize those who wish to, as that`s their gig, and more power to them.

Sorry about the long winded diatribe..

Take care folks, and have a great weekend.

Kind regards, OKB

Never. I'm still trying to figure out how to enjoy my Cerwins after I die. What with them being too big to fit in a casket and all.
Maybe I'll be cremated and half ashed poured into each bass port...

instead of getting rid of the gear just needs a transfusion of new to him music to bring him back to the fold.

That's probably a very valid point. It is for me. I realised I haven't bought anything much 'new' (as in year 2000+) music. I'm sort of wedded to the 70/80/90s and classical/jazz.

You have pretty nice stuff, Mike. And I'll echo what some others have said - you need not listen all the time to make having it worthwhile. Right now, my turntable gets used once a week or so - wouldn't dream of getting rid of it.

That said, you could move a few pieces and not miss a beat. I know you have some desirable pieces not in use. I sold my Gallos, and it felt really good - someone else is enjoying them, and I freed up some space, upgraded my sub, got some nice stands for my bookshelves, and stuck a few bucks in bank too.

That's probably a very valid point. It is for me. I realised I haven't bought anything much 'new' (as in year 2000+) music. I'm sort of wedded to the 70/80/90s and classical/jazz.
Yeah, music is vast, and I was stuck in my past for a good while and ended up drifting away from enjoying music as anything more than background, or driving tunes. I let my old system slide into disrepair. Now I have my original system back, rebuilt and am shifting to new genre, and discovering new music I never listened to before, both new and new to me but been around, some of it 50 years. It is keeping me rived to listening for at least a couple hours every evening.

New gear is fun to spend money on, but once satisfied with the quality of playback the best audio enjoyment for the buck for me is always new music!

I have owned, used, and loved various stereo gear every day since 1969. The thought of parting with it gives me the same feeling as slamming my testicles in the car door....

Just bought a “new to me” used power amp. Loving the sound.

Never gonna stop listening and will continue to slowly, methodically, try to make improvements.

I sold most of my 110V gear a few years back when moving to New Zealand. Took a few things with me, but learned that converting it to 220V is easier said than done. Sold or gave away all of it in the end. I took with me and still have more speakers that I can use here. Affordable houses in Auckland are much smaller than in Ohio.

Sold my record collection too, and gave away a couple of hundred tapes. I still got the CDs, but ripped them all to FLAC.

Here I bought a couple of amps of which only one is in regular use. So nothing like what I had in the US. I've got a decent system to listen to now, but I am not trading up and down anymore trying to improve it. I am spending much more time at the beach now. :thumbsup:
You gave and sent me a Nakamichi remote way back in our early days here.Still have it and use it.Glad your enjoying youself.Thanks again. Ron

A normal person.... wait, a person acting normally can have a stereo in the home for when it's needed. A person acting normally doesn't make a stereo their main focus in life or entertainment. There is a lot more to life than sitting listening to music and starring at it. It's an appliance that's there to do a job when needed to entertain you, it doesn't need to be used hours everyday to justify it being in the home.
And what makes you so "normal"?

After moving to a new home which meant moving what must have been a ton of audio gear, I'm starting to align myself with the OP.

Back
Top Bottom