Ahhhhhhhhh! My $10 Infiniti Monitor II a story!!! Pics

ohmadv

Ok so, saw an ad for these speakers and jumped on it right away. They were posted for $100 and I knew they were nice even with a crappy photo. They needed a refoam and I was ok with that. Got there and saw some corosion on the mid and tweeter that concerned me and the guy couldn’t find the rear grills. So he said he would take $60. We landed on $40 and I was stoked because the cabinets were nice, so worst case I would come out with those.

While he was moving one up to the car he busted the top wing off of one of the cabinets.

My offer dropped to $10

And he took it. Now I have them and I don’t know what to do, I was going to try and glue up the broken pieces for the one side and see if I am rebuild all the drivers.

Does anyone have opinions on what I should do with these things?

Much advise needed.

BCAE4804-979E-4AD1-9FE7-FB8F4EBA3375.jpeg F98069B0-6D41-4140-81AF-AA2731ABBC7D.jpeg F066EA6B-73E1-46AC-B888-9021467E0FBD.jpeg F1F664D7-2A06-443C-8285-75B406363B17.jpeg 706E2DBC-D4E6-4CDF-A10A-5D8577C192E7.jpeg

Nice.
Test them for sound and working order.
As a unit and/or each driver.
Glue up the snapped off piece of cabinet.
Enjoy

Does anyone know how to repair the broken wires on the mid bass drivers? I have a nice soldering station but it seems to me they need to be replaced. Thoughts?

Does anyone know how to repair the broken wires on the mid bass drivers? I have a nice soldering station but it seems to me they need to be replaced. Thoughts?
I think you are referring to the Peerless midranges.
After carefully removing the coating covering the wire coming out of the dome you can attach a piece of lightweight wire long enough to easily reach the solder tab on the plastic flange.
I use a small artist paint brush and paint stripper to soften the wirecoating before exposing enough wire with a tweezers and exacto knife to crush and scrape away the softened coating.
That wire coming out of the dome is very delicate so care is needed the remove the coating.

I don’t seem to be getting sound out of the upper cone (Walsh?) tweeters either but I don’t see anything visibly wrong with them from the exterior of the driver. Unfortualy I don’t have a multi meter. Would I damage these by pushing low frequency to them? If I was to pull it and test it by it self?

I don’t seem to be getting sound out of the upper cone (Walsh?) tweeters either but I don’t see anything visibly wrong with them from the exterior of the driver. Unfortualy I don’t have a multi meter. Would I damage these by pushing low frequency to them? If I was to pull it and test it by it self?
You'll notice two tabs on top of the Walsh tweeter flange and in front of the cone.
While still in the cabinet, simply apply an audio signal to the left and right "tabs".
If possible turn the bass tone down, you should hear sound.

Yup no sound coming out of those beautiful gold cones... not sure if they are fixable or just totally shot.

or these?
EDIT: I see they are these;)
Did you happen to scrape the solder tabs for the best contact.
Also these theoretically playing only sounds above 10k hz.
How's your hearing?:)
IMG_2235-1.jpg

Last edited:
or these?
EDIT: I see they are these;)
Did you happen to scrape the solder tabs for the best contact.
Also these theoretically playing only sounds above 10k hz.
How's your heating?:)
IMG_2235-1.jpg
I got sound passing through the Walsh into the other tweeter so I’m expecting that they have good enough contact to play

I have the bass driver removed. The mid driver is dead given the broken wire so when I put sound through the main terminals or by contacting the contacts on the Walsh I only get sound out of the main tweeter on the front of the speaker.

Glue drying on refoam 1 of 2 for the bass drivers. As we speak

I have the bass driver removed. The mid driver is dead given the broken wire so when I put sound through the main terminals or by contacting the contacts on the Walsh I only get sound out of the main tweeter on the front of the speaker.

Glue drying on refoam 1 of 2 for the bass drivers. As we speak
If you think they definitely don't work you might as well take out the the Walshs and remove the cone flange from the magnet and inspect the voice coil for any repairable breaks.

I’m 30 so my hearing should be decent enough to hear that high. Or at least feel something... ‍♂️

You are playing with some speakers with some fairly valuable components, so it would be in your best interest to invest in at least a cheap multimeter to test for continuity and DCR. Just my thoughts--visual inspection is a crapshoot at best, unless there is obvious physical damage/failure.

You are playing with some speakers with some fairly valuable components, so it would be in your best interest to invest in at least a cheap multimeter to test for continuity and DCR. Just my thoughts--visual inspection is a crapshoot at best, unless there is obvious physical damage/failure.

Agreed! I really can’t belive I don’t have one! I’ll go buy one today! Thanks for the nudge! I don’t usually need one to buy a tool... lol

I got a multi meter and confined that the Walsh tweeters are testing open. :( I guess it’s time to dig into them and see if I can recessetate them

Might be worth paying a pro to fix those, unless you think you can disassemble and reassemble them without damage.

I wonder if Millersound can handle these?

Back
Top Bottom