My (out of hibernation) system

Mike Cate

Back in the early 90's I discovered Adcom. Being in the US Navy & married with 3 kids, I wasn't exactly made of money. (Still not!) Adcom offered impressive sound that didn't stretch my budget too much. I purchased a GTP-400 tuner/preamp, a GFA-545 ii amp, a GCD-600 CD player, & later on a pair of McIntosh XR 240 speakers. I retired from the Navy in 07, & the GCD-600 didn't survive the move back to Indiana. I lost interest & never hooked it back up. 10 yrs later my oldest son gets into vinyl, & rekindled my interest. Last fall I picked up a GCD-600 on Ebay. I wanted to do some upgrades & decided to stick with Adcom. So this spring I've picked up a GFT-565 preamp & a GFA-555 ii amp, & GFT-555ii tuner from Ebay. I also bought a new Audio Tecchnica turntable, which I removed the onboard phono preamp from. I also replace the cartridge with a Nagaoka MP-110. The McIntosh XR 240's are still working great, & I'm very happy a system that sounds great to me, & didn't break the bank.
20180510_173711.jpg

My daughter rekindled my past when she too got into vinyl.
Needless to say that I can afford quite a bit more today as opposed to when I was a teenager.I enjoy every moment.
Enjoy

Very nice! How are you liking the Nagaoka MP-110?
I like it a lot. I originally bought a Vessel from LPGear, but its voltage output was really low. Like 2.5mV. I lost a lot of volume. The Nagaoka has a much higher output. I thought both it & the Vessel both sounded better than the AT that came with the TT, but the Vessel was just too weak.

Back in the early 90's I discovered Adcom. Being in the US Navy & married with 3 kids, I wasn't exactly made of money. (Still not!) Adcom offered impressive sound that didn't stretch my budget too much. I purchased a GTP-400 tuner/preamp, a GFA-545 ii amp, a GCD-600 CD player, & later on a pair of McIntosh XR 240 speakers. I retired from the Navy in 07, & the GCD-600 didn't survive the move back to Indiana. I lost interest & never hooked it back up. 10 yrs later my oldest son gets into vinyl, & rekindled my interest. Last fall I picked up a GCD-600 on Ebay. I wanted to do some upgrades & decided to stick with Adcom. So this spring I've picked up a GFT-565 preamp & a GFA-555 ii amp, & GFT-555ii tuner from Ebay. I also bought a new Audio Tecchnica turntable, which I removed the onboard phono preamp from. I also replace the cartridge with a Nagaoka MP-110. The McIntosh XR 240's are still working great, & I'm very happy a system that sounds great to me, & didn't break the bank.
View attachment 1185888
welcome to ak sailor! from a land grunt- former 12b combat engineer from the 131st out of ft leonard wood Mo "97"-"06"

Back
Top Bottom