Infinity iCar speaker Emit tweeter problem

Microstudio

Hello all!

I have a pair of vintage Infinity iCar speakers that I bought for my car back 1983... I have had them sitting in a cabinet in the house for over 20 years and I thought to make a bluetooth stereo system and use them. One of the Emit tweeters is not working right and I am hoping I can replace it/fix it. Can anyone tell by the pictures what model Emit tweeter these are and is there any good tutorials that show you how to work on these?

Thank you for your time.

icar1.jpg

icar2.png

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
First I would ensure that the problem is the EMIT and not the crossover or the fuse. If it turns out that the problem IS the EMIT, there are threads here on how to repair them (your version is one of the more expensive types, although the diaphragms are pretty much interchangeable between all EMITs made in the 1980s, assuming you're willing to do the work).

Thank you, what would be the testing procedure be to find out if it is or is not the Emit tweeter that is the problem?

Pull the "dead" EMIT driver and desolder one of the leads to take it "out of circuit" and test for DCR with a DMM for continuity and resistance. It should read a in the low to mid 3 ohm range DCR. If it is just "distorting", you probably have an issue with a cap in the crossover or a diaphragm failing.

Pull the "dead" EMIT driver and desolder one of the leads to take it "out of circuit" and test for DCR with a DMM for continuity and resistance. It should read a in the low to mid 3 ohm range DCR. If it is just "distorting", you probably have an issue with a cap in the crossover or a diaphragm failing.

Ok I will do this, thank you.

Ok I tested the leads for DCR and got no readings so I then removed the tweeter as you see in the picture and inspected it for any damage and found none but with that said when testing for DCR there is no reading on my DMM.
What is the best next step?

Thank you for your time.

tweeter1.jpg

tweeter2.jpg

You need to look at the traces with a jewelers loop. There most likely is a tiny broken piece. You can also test by holding a lead on the solder button and working backwards from the other testing right on the foil.

You need to look at the traces with a jewelers loop. There most likely is a tiny broken piece. You can also test by holding a lead on the solder button and working backwards from the other testing right on the foil.

Thank you, I did what you said and sure enough I found the break, what can I do to fix it?

According to this post:

(490125 is the rectangular EMIT with the thick magnet structure. 490126 is the same except for a round faceplate. Later versions of 490125 were labled 902-5086. Later versions of 490126 were labeled 902-5023.

490123 is the rectangular EMIT with the thin magnet structure. As above, 490124 is the thin magnet structure with a round faceplate. Later versions of 490123 were labeled 902-2252. Later versions of 490124 were labeled 902-3082.

They all use the same diaphragm.)

The Emit's I have are 490125 I can use this diaphragms if my fix does not work.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom