Marantz 5010b piano buttons won't stay depressed

marty1966

Hi. I have done some searching and was unable to locate a fix. I have a 5010b that I just replaced the belts on, they were melted, crazy. It belonged to my grandfather and I want to get it going.

When I press any button it does its job, that is to say the reels spin, but the buttons won't stay down.

Any thoughts? I knew it did this prior to replacing the belts, but I was hoping the belts had something to do with it.

Cheers.

Check out the autostop mechanism. Maybe there is some gummed up grease preventing it from releasing.

I haven't worked on one of these in years so I don't remember where the autostop is, Examine the piano key mechanism carefully and try to figure out what is supposed to latch it in place. Sometimes it helps to look at what the stop button does.

I agree with dr audio. The entire transport and mechanical control system is full of flat parts that rub together on a thin film of grease. That grease has hardened over 40 years, and you likely have several points that don’t move properly. Access to the transport is difficult without removing it. And removing it requires unsoldering leads from the heads. Tedious, but doable. Your only other choice is to poke around the edges of the transport/controls and see if you can find sliding parts that don’t move well. You might be able to use a q-tip with alcohol to clean it, then apply new grease (not oil — oil running around in a transport mechanism is trouble with a capital T) When pushing buttons on these units doesn’t result in the expected action, it’s nearly always hardened grease.

Thank you for the detail responses. Is there a chance that the unit doesn't detect the cassette actually in the cassette Bay? I had read that sometimes these type of cassette decks won't lockdown play fast forward and reverse if there isn't an actual cassette in there. I guess what I'm getting at is that is it possible that it doesn't detect the fact that I have a cassette in there

Sure. That’s a possibility. It’s just going to come down to you or someone investigating the movements in that transport. The service manual has pretty good directions for disassembly. But the first time you do it, take lots of pictures as you go so you can get it back together.

Back
Top Bottom