MAD magazine

Best National Lampoon special edition of all time. Must have read it 100 times. Still have it. Hullarious!
View attachment 1003031
IIRC the "hot" girl was Tina Spermatozoa. The Sixties issue is hilarious too - a great "what if" - What if JFK had pushed Jackie O in front of him to take the bullet? Great mag - that's where I got Shit 'n' Piss Texas from. :biggrin:

IIRC the "hot" girl was Tina Spermatozoa. The Sixties issue is hilarious too - a great "what if" - What if JFK had pushed Jackie O in front of him to take the bullet? Great mag - that's where I got Shit 'n' Piss Texas from. :biggrin:
Drop A-Bomb here.

Well, almost ANYTHING was better, after the Sanctimonious Sixties...I'm a big, fat, bespectabled 3rd generation Kraut, People laugh at or with me frequently. I RARELY, if EVER, get all "Bent out of Shape" about that kind of stuff...If YOU tell a joke at MY expense, & your version is , BETTER than my version, Watch Out, Jasper.....I have NO shame.... I'll STEAL yr joke faster than you can say Jack Frost.. I've been a regular Nut for as long as I can remember....And at 60, I'm too old, decrepit I AIN'T gonna change now..

Mad Magazine was pretty much how I learned about the world between ages 8 and 11.

Same here. As a child growing up under "protective" Catholic parents in the 1960s, I was sheltered from much of what the real world was about, things my parents were uncomfortable talking about but that I was noticing, like, um, pretty girls. Also civil unrest, literature, movies, etc. Case in point, I was not allowed to see James Bond movies. i also was not allowed to go see anything more serious, like The Graduate. But I could get a pretty good idea what they were about in Mad's parodies of them. I think MAD also helped me start questioning things, those things my parents didn't want me to question, like politicians, teachers, the police, priests, etc. And for those reasons, I often had to sneak the magazine into the house, although I was invariably found out. After a couple of years, my parents gave up the fight. And here I am!

Used to read it in junior high, early 70's. I still remember and can sing some of the parody lyrics to songs...."God rest ye merry football fans, this Christmas don't dismay...thank god there is a playoff game tween Dallas and Green Bay", etc.

Last edited:
because i enjoyed MAD back in the 60s when it was XLNT, and don martin reigned supreme (some other guys in hs nicknamed me don martin), i tried subscribing again but have been largely disappointed. sure, some Tchump humor struck me as funny at first, the mag as a whole is a mere shell of its innovative self.

national lampoon WAS damn funny, my most memorable issue had a parody of the dick and jane school primers called dick IN jane! tremendous. too bad it went away.

mad tv was hilarious and proved to be a great medium for that kind of humor. oh well.

I hear ya, HFT. The thing is, MAD Magazine was responsible for its own decline simply by being MAD Magazine. It put that kind of humor "out there," as it were, in an era when there were few if any other venues for that kind of humor. Then, as media began to multiply in forms that probably couldn't be imagined then (eg, cable television, the Internet, etc.), more venues became available; people wanted the kind of satire they grew up with in MAD Magazine, but now they could satisfy that want in other ways.

MAD served a purpose and served it nobly in its era. As much as I hate to say, it's mainly irrelevant today, mainly due to the alternatives inspired by the magazine itself.

because i enjoyed MAD back in the 60s when it was XLNT, and don martin reigned supreme (some other guys in hs nicknamed me don martin), i tried subscribing again but have been largely disappointed. sure, some Tchump humor struck me as funny at first, the mag as a whole is a mere shell of its innovative self.

national lampoon WAS damn funny, my most memorable issue had a parody of the dick and jane school primers called dick IN jane! tremendous. too bad it went away.

mad tv was hilarious and proved to be a great medium for that kind of humor. oh well.

I suspect the first nail in the coffin for MAD was the increasing popularity of National Lampoon, followed by SNL on TV.

Used to read it in junior high, early 70's. I still remember and can sing some of the parody lyrics to songs...."God rest ye merry football fans, this Christmas don't dismay...thank god there is a playoff game tween Dallas and Green Bay", etc.

I can still remember the opening line from "The Guy From Jersey City"

Same here. As a child growing up under "protective" Catholic parents in the 1960s, I was sheltered from much of what the real world was about, things my parents were uncomfortable talking about but that I was noticing, like, um, pretty girls. Also civil unrest, literature, movies, etc. Case in point, I was not allowed to see James Bond movies. i also was not allowed to go see anything more serious, like The Graduate. But I could get a pretty good idea what they were about in Mad's parodies of them. I think MAD also helped me start questioning things, those things my parents didn't want me to question, like politicians, teachers, the police, priests, etc. And for those reasons, I often had to sneak the magazine into the house, although I was invariably found out. After a couple of years, my parents gave up the fight. And here I am!
Subversive stuff. Anything not "faith promoting" was deemed suspect in my youth.

Last edited:
Mad TV actually was very good and tv was the perfect venue for much of the content of Mad. scientifically, that's called EVOLUTION.

I hear ya, HFT. The thing is, MAD Magazine was responsible for its own decline simply by being MAD Magazine. It put that kind of humor "out there," as it were, in an era when there were few if any other venues for that kind of humor. Then, as media began to multiply in forms that probably couldn't be imagined then (eg, cable television, the Internet, etc.), more venues became available; people wanted the kind of satire they grew up with in MAD Magazine, but now they could satisfy that want in other ways.

MAD served a purpose and served it nobly in its era. As much as I hate to say, it's mainly irrelevant today, mainly due to the alternatives inspired by the magazine itself.

Not sure if anyone has read a new Mad magazine, but I definitely wouldn't say they are irrelevant.
They started over ~6 issues ago, back to #1... its kind of a trip to read.
It IMO is still very "Mad Magazine," but more to the "tune of today."
Some of the "articles/parodies" have taken me-aback and are brutal as much as they are relevant.

One recent example, I present is "The Ghastlygun Tinies": https://imgur.com/gallery/eSvwrD1

*note, not meant to launch political discussion, just a modern example

Ben

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom