The WEATHER...how much does it effect you?

Been giving this topic/issue/concept some thought for a while and decided that WEATHER is effecting me more all the time!

This year has been so mixed up, I can't tell it's Summer, or Spring or Fall (autumn to some). The temps have been all over the map. One day in the high 70's...other days it's in the high 30's. And rain! Gloomy skies like never before...so it seems. Even the birds are completely PO'd! Some are chirping they want to go back south, like right now.

I know many activities have been cancelled. Weddings are a mess for photos. Fields are so wet many can't be used. And the famers? Well, don't go there. Most are in the coffee shops...grumbling.

Have we messed up the climate so badly, or is it just a cycle thingy that we are going through. Even Europe for the most part had a he## of a winter.

I guess, you can suspect, that weather is bothering me...just a little bit.

Thank God for the Cave!

I 've got to be the only person effected by this thing called...WEATHER.

Q
Whether the weather affects me depends on whether I decided whether or not wearing weather gear was required for the weather we are experiencing and whether I've decided to stay inside because of the weather as my weather gear might not weather the storm.

Hope that's clear.

I just moved from East Texas so weather is no stranger to me.
We get snow and temps down to the 20's and heat in the summer at highs in the 100's with humidity of 85%. And the spring time is Tornadoes, we had one drop down less then a 50 yards from the house and then jump over the highway.
Does it affect me, your dang right it does, I either stayed in the house or stayed in the shop only to venture out when I need to.
Of course some of that is me being a hermit of sorts. But, nowadays the cold goes to my bones and the heat just melts me.
Now that I'm in Utah................well, lets just say it's a place to hang my hat, not to live.

Give me winter any time!

Long nights, good sleep, quiet neighbours, and no yard work!

Heat and humidity make me miserable.

Willyrover summed it up for me.

I live in northeastern Arkansas...so we see lots of wild swings in the weather. 40 to 50 temperature swings in one day are fairly common.
We are now cycling into summer....it will be around 95F for the next several days. A couple of years ago we had two weeks of 110 to 116F heat
during August. In the winter...we always get some ice and snow...but nothing that usually lingers on. But the temps get into the single and minus digits!

Celt, I live in South Central Ky. It's the same thing here. We have 2 seasons, the hot one, and the cold one.

Ya, here in S Fl we also have two seasons, hell, and lesser hell.

But it's paradise lol.

I must admit, 90 degree days in January beat the hell out of snowing in June.

I am not alone after all.

Weather for the most part divides people into to basic camps...the summer and winter groups. Then you have the other two who claim that Spring and Fall are their fav times. These happen to be my wife's favs.

As many pointed out, the age factor does come into play, more than we like to admit. Screaming down the slopes on a pair of skies in just above freezing temps, meant little to us who were involved in this sport. The first run of the day stays with me forever. On the other hand, I could never figure out the ice fishermen, the ones without a heated huts, who brave the lower temps, dangling their lines over a hole in the ice. I guess each to their own, eh?

And the lazy hazy summers?...laying out in the sun, applying a lot "baby oil" to speed up the rate of tanning? Little did they know that in later times, melanoma would be their price for these days of languishing in the heat of mid day. Many today claim that the sun's changed and is a lot more intense than in the past. On the other hand, maybe their skin has thinned out and they can't take the sun as before.

For, me, I used to enjoy the time between late Spring to early Fall, but with the wet Springs, and the vacillating temps all over the map these days, it difficult to know what to wear anymore.

I guess it's really the extremes the bother people the most...the highs,lows and humidity or lack of it. Mind you wind seems to really bother some. This, you get a lot of in the West.

I've also found that what part of the country you live in dictates what skies you are going to have to deal with most times...but the old timers say, even that's changing.

Perfect weather? I think that's a myth.

Q

Last edited:
Summer in Houston is brutally hot and humid. For me it is a mind over matter game. If I allow myself to become obsessed with it I don’t want to leave the comfortable house, but much like those in crazy cold places you just press on soon you are enjoying whatever activity you are doing. We get out basically all summer. I try to save tree cutting and difficult outdoor jobs for winter but sometimes not an option. I didn’t care for the freezing temps this winter as it took a toll on my plants, but other than that it was ok too.

I've lived half my life in places where it got very cold and the other half either on or close to the 30th parallel.
I'll take the heat any day. Cold weather makes me look far too longingly at the whiskey bottle far too early in the day.

I do however much prefer the desert to a sub-tropical climate.
The humidity in both Houston and New Orleans made me feel like I was always on the verge of being suffocated.
Unfortunate really, as I loved living in New Orleans, but after 8 years I finally realized I was never going to get used to it.

Current plan is to move to my preferred habitat.....the higher elevations in and around the Chihuahuan Desert.
More moderate highs than you might think during the summer, usually dropping 30, even 40 degrees at night.
Average high in the winter is in the mid-60's.
Almost never snows.

Ya, here in S Fl we also have two seasons, hell, and lesser hell.
Having been in Miami for several weeks in the middle of the summer, that sounds about right.

Temperature and humidity in the 90s. It's sunny for a while, and then it rains just long enough to make sure it stays steamy and miserable. Not only is the weather miserable, so are a lot of the people there, too.

I don't know where I would like to live ideally, but that ain't it.:no:

Current plan is to move to my preferred habitat.....the higher elevations in and around the Chihuahuan Desert.
More moderate highs than you might think during the summer, usually dropping 30, even 40 degrees at night.
Average high in the winter is in the mid-60's.
Almost never snows.
That sounds pretty good to me.

Whether the weather affects me depends on whether I decided whether or not wearing weather gear was required for the weather we are experiencing and whether I've decided to stay inside because of the weather as my weather gear might not weather the storm.

Hope that's clear.

Pretty convoluted, but I kind of get it Grenadeslio

Weather doesnt bother me much at all. I like gloomy weather and i like rain
I dont care for really hot days above 85°.. or humid weather especially
So that
I love playing golf on super windy days for instance
Love hiking photographing in the snow

I like it challenging
Humidity and intense heat is just gross and/or dangerous

I live in northeastern Arkansas...so we see lots of wild swings in the weather. 40 to 50 temperature swings in one day are fairly common.
We are now cycling into summer....it will be around 95F for the next several days. A couple of years ago we had two weeks of 110 to 116F heat
during August. In the winter...we always get some ice and snow...but nothing that usually lingers on. But the temps get into the single and minus digits!
What part of NE Arkansas? I'm in the Missouri Bootheel.

This past March & April was brutal and it was really getting to me then one day I said enough. I realized I can't control the weather and I decided to make an effort to not let the weather control me. I found that this thought pattern helped a lot and going forward I will do my best to not let it affect me.

Back
Top Bottom