Stopped in a record shop and holy crap!

Well if they are going to advertise audio equipment for sale they should think about actually carrying some inventory ;):D

That is quite a "store-full" of decent stuff. That Kyocera stack is sweet...thanks for sharing Glenn!

Last edited:
I live in the Vancouver, BC area and for a number of years there were few dealers I knew of which specialized in old audio gear. One was around since the 1970's starting as a pawn shop. Another seller, a long established clock store, started carrying vintage audio I presume because it went hand in glove with the vintage time keeping pieces that interested his affluent, new to the country, clientele.

Recently, new start ups have joined the fold, and I've not visited them all.

Like everywhere, prices have escalated. To the best of my knowledge, all gear is serviced or at least assessed by a technician. At least one would hope that is so. One shop has an on site service department and others I've visited have an alliance with independant service shops/people.

Prices are high, a lot more so than I'm used to seeing but generally, warrantys are included from 6 months to 1 year.

I suppose the market depends on population. Around here, so many people have inundated the area, residences can't be built fast enough. Condo towers are going up everywhere and they are far from cheap. Population density will get high, very high and since only the well off can afford to buy or even rent here now, a neighbourhood vintage audio store is probably a good bet. And chances are good, few will balk at the prices.

I wish the rents around here were sensible enough to allow a business like that to survive. The stuff is here but no way can one make a living with a shop like that. I’d totally open one if I had a large lottery win behind me to pad the losses. I miss that kind of shop!

Well if they are going to advertise audio equipment for sale they should think about actually carrying some inventory ;):D

That is quite a "store-full" of decent stuff. That Kyocera stack is sweet...thanks for sharing Glenn!
You bet! Sharing is what the hobby is all about! Maybe some MA Akers can check out the place.

I highly doubt they're selling much of it. The Pioneer "system" at $3,000 is a laughable.

Some would say the same about $1000 power cables but those companies seem to keep chugging along. Most people interested in acquiring some older gear are not savvy enough or in the loop on this kind of equipment. There is a lot to be said for a consumer to be able to buy from a brick and mortar store. There is, I would imagine, a guarantee the components work to there specs, you have a warranty, there is no shipping involved, and it’s a face to face transaction. All of this holds value to consumers who haven’t a clue about checking, cleaning, servicing equipment, or even know what they like.. Plus you can go in and touch the product, listen to it, compare, that’s the fun part of the experience.
The prices are never set at these places, like previously mentioned you have to start somewhere so it might as well be high. I’m willing to bet the prices are not to far off from EBay with shipping involved.
I have bought and sold with Tomssound for a few years now, I’ve established a minor relationship with the store which has evolved into both mine and Toms favor. I know and he knows walking in I will most likely leave with something, after a bench test right in front of me, and a warranty. If anything I’ll buy a record or two in his guitar store next door.
There have been post about younger generations not getting involved in hifi gear. Places like this are a great starting point.

It looked like the bulk of the cash flow is with vinyl. The selection was huge, and well organized.
If I had several hours to pick through the vinyl, I would have probably bought at least 5-10 albums. The time is pulling every disk to inspect, and play to make sure it sounds good with minimal popping and noise.
The few I did look at, looked to be in decent condition, but a bit dirty.

I wish the rents around here were sensible enough to allow a business like that to survive. The stuff is here but no way can one make a living with a shop like that. I’d totally open one if I had a large lottery win behind me to pad the losses. I miss that kind of shop!
You would need to have a very visible location, good reputation for working gear, and have savvy marketing skills with social media so sell on all fronts.

You would need to have a very visible location, good reputation for working gear, and have savvy marketing skills with social media so sell on all fronts.
Even Stereo Exchange had to give up their second hand biz a while ago. Most of the guys in the city rack the stuff in their personal space and operate on audiogon or eBay. I follow quite a few.
I do love the physical racks and stacks tho. I’ll have to go find one to peruse.

I highly doubt they're selling much of it. The Pioneer "system" at $3,000 is a laughable.

Here we have a Strong AK bent on the pricing. This gear is not meant for an AKer, in general. It is meant for folks fresh out of school with little to spend money on since there are no kids and they are making over 50k. Easy to find some coins to grab some gear. Or maybe some older folks that don't want to hunt, just want gear that works and have the funds to buy it. With the age of AKers varied, the SS set might not be in a position to buy but have the time to hunt. Good luck to them, the gear is out there for chump change.

I explained that the price on that Pioneer Set is absolutely correct. Calling it laughable is being out of touch with reality of a storefront with sales and enough service to be able to supply working gear.

Last edited:
Calling it laughable is being out of touch with reality of a storefront with sales and enough service to be able to supply working gear.

It also assumes that the price on the item is set in stone, which I highly doubt. Anybody that walks in, plunks down the price on the item without at least asking for a better price it pretty much a boob.

I see that at some of the shops I visit, but not to that extent. I mentioned a record store that sells gear to a tech, and he said he repairs a lot of gear bought from them that dies soon after purchase. Outside of a spit shine, and a Deoxit treatment, I'd be skeptical about any claims as to "fully serviced", no matter where purchased. Wonder where the thrift scores are? I can guess. I AM drooling over the gear pictured. :)

Fun! Would have been a troublesome stop if I had made it on Mothers Day. Not where I should be.

You own a shop like that, you guys realize the gear just walks in?

Back
Top Bottom