HDMI Output to RCA (analog audio).

62caddy

Trust but verify
Subscriber
A relative recently got a Sony UPB-X800 DVD player but it only has HDMI outputs. What would be needed to get an analog signal to feed a receiver so he can use his speakers.

Would simple adapter cables work or is some sort of D/A converter needed?

I'm not very knowledgeable about HT equipment - any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

That player has a coax digital out. Does your relative's receiver have a coax digital input? Most AVRs and non-vintage receivers have such connections even if they are too old to support HDMI (audio/)video. Suggest you find out the receiver model and look up its capabilities before deciding what to do. Also what is the PURPOSE of connecting the receiver? Surround sound, stereo CD playing, what?

Yeah, as awillia6 eludes to, knowing the make/model of receiver of topic goes a long way to making a good recommendation.

Receiver is an Onkyo TX-SV636; Speakers are a pair of Dynaudio S 1.4 on stands.

The receiver and speakers were purchased at the same time sometime in the 1990s.

The receiver and speakers were purchased at the same time sometime in the 1990s.

Since that receiver appears to have no digital inputs, I agree with Grenadeslio's recommendation. That unit is the one I normally recommend too. Be advised there is a very similar model that does not have 5.1/multichannel decoding capability. Spend the few extra bucks to get the one with 5.1/multichannel capability. Makes less problematic setup as it will work with either bitstream or PCM output setting.

Looks like that unit does not have a digital input... stereo analog RCA inputs only

You need an "HDMI Audio Extractor"... a basic 2.0 output unit runs about $20 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Extrac...rd_wg=VUR3B&psc=1&refRID=6ZN1BZ0DEG24JMBX8EYR

This lets you run the HDMI signal to the HDMI input of a HDTV while sending L/R analog audio output to a stereo system

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations.

One more question - which output should be used and what IC is needed? Is there any advantage or disadvantage of using either (aside of cost)?

I assume we use the output "audio only". Need the cable that connects that to the DAC.

sony_ubp-x800_09.jpg

Last edited:
DO NOT USE COAX OR OPTICAL as they are synchronous meaning they get out of sync fast and smear sounds.

I would get an HDMI breakout box which has a pass through for HDMI and can take off the audio to RCA - GSS61 beat me to it.

Could you explain further, please? I have optical out going from my 4K TV to my AVR's optical in; seems to work fine for all sources. Is there some sync that happens in the TV that wouldn't in the 4K BD player?

Can anyone recommend the cable ...

A composite video cable having RCA plugs would be fine or a cable with RCA plugs pulled from a component video bundle.

For that matter, practically any RCA-type cable will work over a short distance but I suggest one having coaxial-type construction rather than twisted pair-type construction.

From the orange jack on the player to the yellow jack on the DAC/decoder.

DO NOT USE COAX OR OPTICAL as they are synchronous meaning they get out of sync fast and smear sounds.

I would get an HDMI breakout box which has a pass through for HDMI and can take off the audio to RCA - GSS61 beat me to it.

Typically the issue is not optical/coaxial digital so much as it is the video processing in the display.

I think even if you extract the audio by HDMI extractor there is similar risk of having lip sync problem.The display still processes the video signal and that's where the video delay relative to the audio is normally introduced.

Can anyone recommend the cable that goes between this-

sony_ubp-x800_09.jpg

And this

index.php

Thanks!
RCA or optical, either will work. I have three of these and they work great. Parts Express has cheaper and more expensive models but I liked the fact it was small, and the outer case wasn't plastic. Anything connected to the tv (cable box etc.) plays through my 1970's era Kenwood just fine, no synching issues. Another connects to my 90's era Carver preamp without issues.

I then connected the DAC to the amp's tape input, this way it's just a flick of the switch for my lady to have her tv no matter what my last music source selected on the input knob.

Back
Top Bottom