Am I missing something, kµV?

tbone8

Tuning meter on my 2252B out of the blue got out of alignment. Adjusted the lower core on the discriminator transformer and all is good now. As long as I am in there, thought I would adjust the upper core with the distortion analyzer. The manual says, "to set the signal generator to 1kµV at 98 MHz". Now, 1kµV would be 1000 microvolts, ie, 1 volt. Isn't that a tad high for this adjustment? Figured it would be 3-5µV like the other specs to do the FM alignment. Replaced the 700 board caps for good measure and wanted to note some of the polarities are backwards on the schematic...

no idea what schematic you are looking at but the one i have i dont see any in backwards .. which ones are backwards on you schematic ?

there does seem to be a chunk of the schematic missing .. between r722 and c726 ... might be how they did it . i dunno .

Last edited:
How did you type that u symbol using your keyboard ? Just what is a uV ? I see it in the alignment instructions all the time . It is also written on my Sencore SG80 . Is it a ratio or is it an actual voltage ?

How did you type that u symbol using your keyboard ? Just what is a uV ? I see it in the alignment instructions all the time . It is also written on my Sencore SG80 . Is it a ratio or is it an actual voltage ?

From a Windows machine, at least, it's easy using Character Map or the unicode number. Never tried to see abiut doing that on my smartphone, although holding down a key often shows alternate selections.

no idea what schematic you are looking at but the one i have i dont see any in backwards .. which ones are backwards on you schematic ?

there does seem to be a chunk of the schematic missing .. between r722 and c726 ... might be how they did it . i dunno .

On page 11 of the service manual, the circuit board layout C721 and C722 are backwards. Not the schematic, my bad.

On page 11 of the service manual, the circuit board layout C721 and C722 are backwards. Not the schematic, my bad.
schematics are most trusted thing next to how originals are on the board .. i simply put my own mark on the board if silk screen wrong . board layouts i suspect were done in a different department and possibly underpaid .

I just google "micro symbol" to get that character. In my haze of getting old age, I erroneously merged millivolts (mV) and microvolts (µV). There are 1000 mV in one volt, 1000µV in one millivolt or 1V=1000mV=1000000µV. For some odd reason, the manual listed the value in kµV (one thousand µV) instead of just stating 1 mV. I knew I was figgering something off by a huge factor, just my pride is bruised now...

From a Windows machine, at least, it's easy using Character Map or the unicode number. Never tried to see abiut doing that on my smartphone, although holding down a key often shows alternate selections.
I have a Mac platform . it is not on the keyboard . i even tried the alt button . lots of weird ¡™£¢∞§¶•ªº but I did find the degree symbol º cool !
No u symbol . Must be some where I will google it ....

schematics are most trusted thing next to how originals are on the board .. i simply put my own mark on the board if silk screen wrong . board layouts i suspect were done in a different department and possibly underpaid .

I can't recall off hand but I have come across schematics and boards being marked wrong, I think there is a page here somewhere that lists the "found" errors. I like to print the board layouts (silk screens) to highlight what I am replacing to keep everything straight. ;)

I can't recall off hand but I have come across schematics and boards being marked wrong, I think there is a page here somewhere that lists the "found" errors. I like to print the board layouts (silk screens) to highlight what I am replacing to keep everything straight. ;)
i do it the long way and one at a time ... would end up with spares otherwise

On a Mac one has to press Control ,command and space bar .. a font window opens up and the rest of the world of stuff is there . I will try the micro symbol now...
µµµ ...Hey it worked ! It is under the heading "letter like symbols." Happy typing . !

Back
Top Bottom