I Regressed And Bought A New Watch

Bodyblue

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Over the years I have been ":into" several different hobbies.......always cars but when I retired I caught the wristwatch bug. Within a year my wife and I had several hundred. After a few years the bug just lifted; it had been fading slowly and one day BAM! GONE. Within six months I had sold all but 4 of my watches (my wife still has 20 or so).

Fast forward to 2018 and two weeks ago on BT a member was selling a really nice Seiko diver at a fantastic price. It was a smaller model (37mm) so when it arrived my wife snagged it. OK, now I had the bug (a bit) again.....SO in the past few weeks I have bought myself three divers A Seiko 007, Orient Mako and a Vostok.

I feel the flames of watch passion ebbing again, but I do enjoy a nice diver.

Orient Mako:

20180514_155151.jpg

20180514_155315.jpg

I've been so proud of myself that I've been controlling my watch bug for quite a while now, almost ten years, not even replacing the batteries in the quartz watches, stiff upper lipping it with my existing automatic or mechanicals. Expensive hobbies, who needs them, eh?

I will always pick up Seikos and G shocks if the price is right.
Replacing the batteries in the Casios can be a PITA but if the gasket holds after replacement they are still great watches. I
give them out when I go to the Philippines. I test them by washing them in the washing machine after battery
replacement.

I found a Pepsi pogue for $2.99 once and a Seiko 9T82-0A40 for $128. The latter was for the Japanese market I think and only 1000 were made.

I would like an Orient diver also.

You bought three classics. Now all you need is a Seiko turtle diver. I'm currently wearing a Seiko 007 with a cowhide leather band. I have a Rolex automatic, but for anything rugged, I throw on the Seiko. My wife enjoys her Momentum diver. Small and rugged.

I like the 7002s as well. The Tunas are way too big for me however. I just sold my last Bulova Marine Star, but I love Bulovas. I have worn Seikos and Bulovas for almost 40 years and I used to be really into Accutrons.

I only bought the Vostok because it was cheap and hope it is not as shitty as all the other ones I have had.

20180514_182151.jpg

Replacing the batteries in the Casios can be a PITA but if the gasket holds after replacement they are still great watches. I
give them out when I go to the Philippines. I test them by washing them in the washing machine after battery
replacement.

I found a Pepsi pogue for $2.99 once and a Seiko 9T82-0A40 for $128. The latter was for the Japanese market I think and only 1000 were made.

I got the Mako, not the XL because the Ray was too similar to the 007. The bezel on the 007 is much nicer feeling but the quality is damn good on the Mako. I bought the 007 with the Jubilee but changed to black mesh for the vintage diver look.

I've been so proud of myself that I've been controlling my watch bug for quite a while now, almost ten years, not even replacing the batteries in the quartz watches, stiff upper lipping it with my existing automatic or mechanicals. Expensive hobbies, who needs them, eh?

I like quartz units as well, just depends on the model.

2EA8BC7A-C1A6-48F2-B910-7B09F0DC2546.jpeg
replacement.

I’m a sucker for Seiko 5’s. So cheap and can be so good looking.

One of the reasons I got back onto audio is that there is a LOT more interaction with audio equipment than with watches. I like watches and have worn one since I was a kid, but there really is not a lot one can do WITH a watch besides look at it! When I was up to my ass in watches I realized one day it was the thrill of the chase and not the actual item I enjoyed. There is some element of that with audio I admit but not nearly as much as with watches.

Next thing you know, you've got a closet full of winders to keep your automatics in running order.

I never got that far into it......there were members of Watchuseek.com that posted logs of all their watches with how fast or slow they ran each day etc and that always struck me as insane. If people think that IC or speaker cable threads get crazy on here, one should see the quartz vs auto threads.......absolutely insane. I mean there are people that claim to be agitated by quartz watches' ticking once second at a time and other crazy shit like that. If one is staring at your watch for more than just a second or two at a time, you have WAY too much time on your hands. Then there are those that claim that automatics have a "heart" or "soul" and that quartz do not......just IN-SANE. My favorite were the people that compared a watch to the thrill of driving a sports car......I almost got kicked off a few times for flat out stating that a watch has NOTHING to do with a sports car.......I had a Mod warn me that my comments might have hurt others feelings about watches.....WUS is the ultimate snowflake site.

Like tubes vs. solid state. My dad, who gave me his 1967 Rolex when he retired, would often note that his Casio digital kept better time. Indeed, I really like all the features on my kids' Casio running watches purchased from Walmart.

I've got a Citizen Eco-Drive which uses light converted into energy and stored in a solar cell to stay running. Pretty cool and inexpensive for a decent Jap-movement watch. Of course, the chronograph feature is cool but sorta useless.

I'll admit I use the timing bezels on my watches mostly for timing a steak on the grill.

Like tubes vs. solid state. My dad, who gave me his 1967 Rolex when he retired, would often note that his Casio digital kept better time. Indeed, I really like all the features on my kids' Casio running watches purchased from Walmart.

I've got a Citizen Eco-Drive which uses light converted into energy and stored in a solar cell to stay running. Pretty cool and inexpensive for a decent Jap-movement watch. Of course, the chronograph feature is cool but sorta useless.

I'll admit I use the timing bezels on my watches mostly for timing a steak on the grill.

LOL I use mine to time the laundry! I took my Bulova Marine Star swimming last summer just for the hell of it......I figured that I would at least get it wet once! Then there are the crazy people that want to shower with their watches on etc. Another time I got in trouble on WUS was when I asked a poster "Why in the world would you want to shower with a watch on?" I kind of see these people in a catalog ad for patio furniture posing looking at their watch.

My dad, who gave me his 1967 Rolex when he retired, would often note that his Casio digital kept better time.

A item with family history is very important and expensive watches are really more jewelry than time keeper and that is fine....... Just like on here, a lot of people identify with their equipment to an extreme level.

... but there really is not a lot one can do WITH a watch besides look at it!

Says who?

sc1502feb05pictga10087.jpg

Back
Top Bottom