How does RTR Stack up in MY System?

damacman

Resident Psycho
Well . . .

At present, I have never had better sources. I can listen to vinyl, cassette, RTR, CD, SACD, SACD multi-ch, DVD-A, DVD-A multi-ch, Bluray multi-ch, etc.

RTR is simply the most pleasing and rewarding format that I have access to. Sure, listening to Kraftwerk in Dolby Atmos is pretty off the charts too - but the rich, full, analog sound from my RT-909 puts a smile on my face every single time I turn it on. It's just easy to listen to. How is it possible that I can make a tape which sounds better than the record that I've recorded it from? Or is that my mind playing tricks on me . . . ?

And I'm not alone in my opinion. Three times now, I've had folks over for an evening and they agreed with me. They were just blown away by how natural music sounds off of tape.

Now, if blank tape wasn't so damned expensive!!

Yes I agree I have Vinyl, Cassette, Digital , R2R, CD ,Radio and also find myself listening mostly to R2R and yes I like the result of recording a digital file from my silent PC / NAS drive and it miraculously turns digital into Analogue :rockon:

Alan

Agree, definitely my preferred format too. Fortunately tape is not a problem here, I have tons of decent quality stock on hand and I have the machines that I record with most often biased for it. The results are amazing even with 1/4 track stereo on an average machine. Full two track is even better but with a 1/4 track machine that has been properly set up and recordings that are properly made the results always leave me grinning from ear to ear. :)

R2R is also my favorite playback medium....besides the enjoyment of watching the reels go `round, and the VU needles doing their dance, there IS something special about the sound of tape....I have a few factory tapes that are absolutely spectacular (Vivaldi`s Four Seasons, performed by Lorin Maazel and theOrchestre National de France, is one in particular, it`s a CBS Masterworks Series, it`s quite stunning).

upload_2018-5-15_20-6-27.png

R2R is also my favorite playback medium....besides the enjoyment of watching the reels go `round, and the VU needles doing their dance, there IS something special about the sound of tape....I have a few factory tapes that are absolutely spectacular (Vivaldi`s Four Seasons, performed by Lorin Maazel and theOrchestre National de France, is one in particular, it`s a CBS Masterworks Series, it`s quite stunning).

View attachment 1188391
Bought my very first factory tape from an AKer just a few days ago! I should have it next week.

I have a pre-recorded version of Stravinsky's "Firebird Suite" conducted by Stokowski and it is a stunning performance. I think these sound great partly because these performances were recorded on tape originally, so therefore skipped the vinyl mastering stage and it's inherent compromises.

Precisely! I bought the condensed version and let me tell you it's just mind blowing.
Thank you. I will keep looking.

EDIT: Found it. Yes, it is quite "mind blowing". Thanks for the recommendation. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom