Today's JAZZ playlist

KennyDorham_QuietKenny.jpg

Kenny Dorham: Quiet Kenny

I guess that, like anything else, if you don't care for it, it's "not crucial", but I really enjoy the 50s-60s era Ellington, so if I saw a recording of them tuning up and clearing their throats, I'd probably still want to buy it. ;)

Based on just one hearing, there's much to like. A few of the cuts could probably be characterized as "in development", but are not less interesting to me for all that. Gonsalves in particular gets a lot of room, and that's always welcome in my book. There's a cover of Blue Monk, and it's somewhat jarring to hear that given an Ellington-style arrangement and treatment, but I don't think I've ever heard him recording a Monk tune before. Excellent, informative, thoughtful notes by Stanley Dance; they point out how several of the tracks were reworked on subsequent albums. It's not on Columbia, but on a label I've never seen before: LMR or "Little Major Record" Distributors. Maybe he didn't have a recording contract at that time: around the same time, Money Jungle was on Blue Note, the albums with Hawkins and Coltrane were on Impulse, Violin Session was on Atlantic, just to mention a few others. It says Volume III, so there must be a number of others, and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up any more I see. (Of course, this one was $2 at a thrift store, so there was no way I was leaving without it!)

Just a quick look on Discogs tells us the following...
"This is one in a series of ten albums that, taken together, is the definitive collection of the significant compositions written by Duke Ellington and some other songs long associated with his body of work. These recordings were personally produced by Duke Ellington himself and have remained in his private collection since their completion. Documenting a large portion of his musical work, some of which have never been commercially released, these private recordings are being made available by Ellington's family for the first time."
Recorded 1962

I've listened to this one before BB. It's Jazz. Not mainstream, but Jazz none the less. Especially the cut where the Vibes kick in. It's like Warren Wolf on steroids, if you can picture that. Wolf already looks like he could smash the Vibes to bits with his bare hands. On steroids the Vibraphone wouldn't stand a chance. But I actually don't mean HARSH Vibes, I mean unusual sporadic Vibes. From memory, I think I can see why it would appeal to you in a slightly melancholy way.
Cheers for that BB...just bought the CD of Discogs...:thumbsup:

Just a quick look on Discogs tells us the following...
"This is one in a series of ten albums that, taken together, is the definitive collection of the significant compositions written by Duke Ellington and some other songs long associated with his body of work. These recordings were personally produced by Duke Ellington himself and have remained in his private collection since their completion. Documenting a large portion of his musical work, some of which have never been commercially released, these private recordings are being made available by Ellington's family for the first time."
Recorded 1962

Nine more to go, apparently! Thanks for that . . .

First time i have heard anything by RRKirk...never took him seriously enough to bother...just decided anybody that sticks so many musical instruments in his gob at the same one time ...like John McEnroe famously stated...you cannot be serious! :eek::p:rolleyes:
Well this track on here 'Slow Blues' is some serious sheet! Love it...:hug:

First time i have heard anything by RRKirk...never took him seriously enough to bother...just decided anybody that sticks so many musical instruments in his gob at the same one time ...like John McEnroe famously stated...you cannot be serious! :eek::p:rolleyes:
Well this track on here 'Slow Blues' is some serious sheet! Love it...:hug:

Some of his stuff can be eccentric, but it's well worth looking into. I've loved him since I first came across his records in the 70s. A couple of his more accessible albums are The Inflated Tear on Atlantic and Introducing Roland Kirk on Chess with Ira Sullivan.

A couple of samples from those records:

Some of his stuff can be eccentric, but it's well worth looking into. I've loved him since I first came across his records in the 70s. A couple of his more accessible albums are The Inflated Tear on Atlantic and Introducing Roland Kirk on Chess with Ira Sullivan.

Eccentric is a fair description of an original performer like Kirk...certainly an acquired taste!

Not sure if this qualifies as Jazz music...seems to have some well known names playing on here...not normally an aficionado of flute...Dolphy on 'Stolen Moments' is about it..
But this is loverly music with a tinge of melancholy that appeals to me...

1. In Tangier / Paradise Beach 2. Flying 3. Don't You Know The Way (How I Feel About You) 4. Miss Free Spirit 5. Waltz For My Son 6.

Pendulum Bass – Miroslav Vitous (tracks: 3, 4, 5), Ron Carter (tracks: 1, 2, 6) Cello – George Ricci (tracks: 1, 2, 6), Kermit Moore (tracks: 3, 4, 5) Design [Album Design] – Haig Adishian Drums – Bruno Carr (tracks: 1, 2, 4), Mickey Rocca* (tracks: 3, 4, 5) Engineer [Recording] – Adrian Barber, Dave Green* Flute– Herbie Mann Guitar – Sonny Sharrock Vibraphone – Roy Ayers Viola – Al Brown* (tracks: 3, 4, 5), Selwart Clarke (tracks: 1, 2, 6) Violin – Manny Green* (tracks: 1, 2, 6), Gene Orloff (tracks: 1, 2, 6), Peter Dimitriades (tracks: 3, 4, 5), Selwart Clarke (tracks: 3, 4, 5)

Good album. I personally like the melancholy stuff a lot. Herbie Mann was a legit jazz guy when he wanted to be despite the odd taste in clothes, or lack thereof.

One of the best deals and the best Jazz (IMO) is Slacker. They have a streaming service that's only $4.00 a month compared to $10 on the others, however, you can't choose songs. You can only stream channels of music. But they have dozens. I think they have about 8 or so Jazz channels. Big Band, Jazz Classics, Cool (west coast) Jazz, etc. Their "Late Night Jazz" channel had me spoiled for a long time because it's so nice for relaxing before bed, or when you are in bed. Now you CAN create streaming stations on slacker for that price. For example, you are playing a cut by Miles Davis that you love, you can create a "MILES DAVIS" station that will play cuts that are similar to that Miles Davis tune.

Slacker made me a deal of $25 for the entire year, so I jumped on it. Too good to pass up. @poppachubby recommended Slacker to me a few years ago and it is a winner. Especially if all you want is streaming commercial free HUMAN curated music. $4.00 a month or $25 a year is just too good to pass up. If Slacker offers me the $25 a year next year, I'll stick with them as well even though I'll drop all the others. It's just too good of a service at that price to pass up.

Like all the other streaming services, if you are diligent and thumbs-up or down songs, within a few weeks the streaming on Slacker will mold itself to you and you'll never hear a song you don't care for.

The only thing I personally miss about the streaming services is the live DJ. I actually enjoy (unless I'm in bed trying to get to sleep) an live on-air host talking about the music he or she is playing. Otherwise, streaming services are great.

Thanks Billy,
Slacker, may try it. Do they show performer, song and album? At $4, not much skin in.

Last edited:
I guess that, like anything else, if you don't care for it, it's "not crucial", but I really enjoy the 50s-60s era Ellington, so if I saw a recording of them tuning up and clearing their throats, I'd probably still want to buy it. ;)

Based on just one hearing, there's much to like. A few of the cuts could probably be characterized as "in development", but are not less interesting to me for all that. Gonsalves in particular gets a lot of room, and that's always welcome in my book. There's a cover of Blue Monk, and it's somewhat jarring to hear that given an Ellington-style arrangement and treatment, but I don't think I've ever heard him recording a Monk tune before. Excellent, informative, thoughtful notes by Stanley Dance; they point out how several of the tracks were reworked on subsequent albums. It's not on Columbia, but on a label I've never seen before: LMR or "Little Major Record" Distributors. Maybe he didn't have a recording contract at that time: around the same time, Money Jungle was on Blue Note, the albums with Hawkins and Coltrane were on Impulse, Violin Session was on Atlantic, just to mention a few others. It says Volume III, so there must be a number of others, and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up any more I see. (Of course, this one was $2 at a thrift store, so there was no way I was leaving without it!)

Ok, now that is different. You've a vinyl version of it. I've a 10 CD box set, no notes by SDance, mine is on the Saja label ( I'm not near it now) but I'm sure it's of EU origin. I would not part with mine, I must tap into it every month.

Back
Top Bottom