Recapping L100's

rocknroll1

I am getting ready to have someone recap my 100's. The question is do I stay with the same design as the originals with upgraded parts and the pods removed with a resistor tap is installed, with settings of -2db, 0db, +2db on both midrange and tweeter or go with something like the Murphy design? The guy is comfortable doing either and cost difference is not important. I have owned these for about a year and they are all original except I did replace the grills and foam ring around the tweeter. They sound pretty good but they make some funny sounds sometimes when starting of and after turning system off. I am know expert but I am thinking it is crossovers causing this,

I am getting ready to have someone recap my 100's. The question is do I stay with the same design as the originals with upgraded parts and the pods removed with a resistor tap is installed, with settings of -2db, 0db, +2db on both midrange and tweeter or go with something like the Murphy design? The guy is comfortable doing either and cost difference is not important. I have owned these for about a year and they are all original except I did replace the grills and foam ring around the tweeter. They sound pretty good but they make some funny sounds sometimes when starting of and after turning system off. I am know expert but I am thinking it is crossovers causing this,

I would think odd noises at turn-on and turn-off are much more likely to be caused by your amplifier, as opposed to the passive crossover. If your system allows it turn your speakers off before powering the amp on or off.

I would think odd noises at turn-on and turn-off are much more likely to be caused by your amplifier, as opposed to the passive crossover. If your system allows it turn your speakers off before powering the amp on or off.

But it has happened with 2 different receivers both restored within the last 3 years and it doesn't happen on any other speakers that have been hooked up to it. Even if its not the crossovers I think its time to recap them.

By your description I'm guessing you have a cap coupled amp/receiver. They have a little woofer action on start up and shut down. If it bothers you leave the speakers off for the first 15 seconds or so and off before powering down, but no harm either way. Those JBL woofers are pretty eager so you might not have noticed with your other unit(s).

By your description I'm guessing you have a cap coupled amp/receiver. They have a little woofer action on start up and shut down. If it bothers you leave the speakers off for the first 15 seconds or so and off before powering down, but no harm either way. Those JBL woofers are pretty eager so you might not have noticed with your other unit(s).

Back to main question though about recapping, original design or murphy design

I’m facing the same dilemma with my Centuries and I have yet to resolve it in my mind. It’s a personal choice that has to balance originality, simplicity, efficiency and low cost on the one hand, against improved, more neutral sound on the other. Since I already have several pairs of much more accurate speakers, I’m leaning slightly toward a simple recap.

I’m facing the same dilemma with my Centuries and I have yet to resolve it in my mind. It’s a personal choice that has to balance originality, simplicity, efficiency and low cost on the one hand, against improved, more neutral sound on the other. Since I already have several pairs of much more accurate speakers, I’m leaning slightly toward a simple recap.

I found a set on the bay that are built to order. They are based on the original ones with upgraded film capacitors. They are a little high but since I don't think I could do them myself probably not a bad deal. It also includes all new wiring.

Turn on and off noise is AMP related. I have an amp that makes a pretty bad turn off thump, so I set up a 4 pole double throw switch inline to shut off the speakers after turn on and before turn off. No more thump or risk of woofer damage.

Original or Murphy? Original.

I found a set on the bay that are built to order. They are based on the original ones with upgraded film capacitors. They are a little high but since I don't think I could do them myself probably not a bad deal. It also includes all new wiring.

Are those the ones where they replaced the L pads with resistors? They look fine, but losing the L pads would bug me. I like the adjustability, and seeing the knobs.

This is just an idea but is it possible to have two crossover networks installed in the cabinets? If the amp has a speaker selector, then the speakers would have 2 pairs of terminals, one set per crossover.

You’d need a switch in/on the speaker to allow the drivers to be connected to only one network at any given time. Otherwise the other network would screw things up. That switch would have to switch over all three drivers each time (triple pole, single throw?). PITA.

Back
Top Bottom