Human 81 FR Response

Your link says "The eight inch woofer, in this cabinet, is flat from 42 Hz to 1800 Hz, the one inch concave aluminum dome tweeter takes over (most tweeters couldn't handle a crossover this low) and finishes the job out to 26 kHz, beyond human hearing."

I guess it doesn't suggest the tweeter continues the "flat" response, but that's roughly a 70-dB drop to 20kHz from the crossover point.

Yep; could be a product of the pink noise I used. It was not equalized and the tone settings were flat. Huw does attenuate the tweeter some as well. I have not checked the data yet between 170-17,000 Hz. This is just a quick raw measurement with a single calibration based off a SPL meter. Notice I have averaging turned on as well so I'm only looking for anything material in the response line and not the slope downward.

Last edited:
Here is a sine wave pass. I'm starting to wonder if this is intentional by design. I mean I have no complaint how they sound.

15_May_2018_17_20_24.jpg

It can't sound good if the response is 60 db down from 100hz and 40 db from 1000hz. (If I'm reading that right.)

I suspect something wrong with measurements. What kind of results do you get with other loudspeakers?

I have a pair of Energy bookshelf I can measure later. In the meantime I tried a different mic and got similar results. I also did a sine wave pass 1800-24,000 near field and the same down slope. This second Mic is the1/2-inch electret condenser microphone in my Galaxy SPL meter.

Last edited:
Amazingly heavy in the bass for an 8-inch woofer, if the graphs are to be believed. I might call it "Human-error" but I'm not really into puns. :D

The Human 81 doesn't have any padding on the tweeter. You list a 5.6R resistor on the tweeter. Take it out, and check the measurements again. I think you'll see much better results. I have a pair of the 61s, and that speaker, just like the venerable EPI M50, has a 5Ω resistor on the tweeter, to balance it with the smaller 6" PRO 007 woofer.

These came from Huw himself. He put those resistors on there for some reason. I was thinking on taking them out. About a month ago I created a FRD file for the Model 81. Those tweeters drop like a rock after 10,0000 Hz. I attached the frd as txt. At this point I'm going to say using Android apps has limitations but I still think we might have a problem with the tweeters.

Attachments

• Human system - Copy.txt
    11.6 KB · Views: 23
I think Huw must be doing that on purpose for some reason or another. Anyway, here are the T/S for the tweeters.

Left Tweeter
* f(s)= 1721 Hz
* R(e)= 5.758 Ohms
* Z(max)= 9.533 Ohms
* Q(ms)= 1.809
* Q(es)= 2.759
* Q(ts)= 1.092

Right Tweeter
* f(s)= 1587 Hz
* R(e)= 5.777 Ohms
* Z(max)= 10.52 Ohms
* Q(ms)= 2.248
* Q(es)= 2.74
* Q(ts)= 1.235

I'm going to put together a tweeter and woofer .frd file and use Xsim modeling to see before and after 5.6R resistor as a next step.

Back
Top Bottom