Sub question

Jchooper2000

Nob alert.

I've been into music all of my 62 years but way behind when it comes to home theater. I have a 9.2 Onkyo receiver driving my Lansing Altec Studio 19 speakers. I've been looking on CL for some used Klipsch or Definitive Tech subs or any other brands. So what if the speakers have a build in amp would I hook that up to my receiver and double my power or look for a sub that either doesn't have an amp or the ability to hook up bypassing the amp build into the sub? Thanks - Jim!!

If the sub has a built-in amp then that is the amp that powers the sub's driver/woofer.

Some subs with built-in amp have high level/speaker level inputs, but using those inputs does not use the receiver's power in any additive way. Only a very tiny amount of that input is passed to the sub's internal amp as signal, which then amplifies it to power the driver.

More often though, for home theater, you'd use the low level LFE/sub outputs from the receiver into the low level input of the powered sub.

A power sub is the way to go. Try and get one with both low level (both red white RCA over a single input) and hi level (speaker feed thru) inputs. Controls for cut off and phase along with volume are added plus!
That way you can have sufficient bass without the need to crank the rest of the system if the need arises.

Inexpensive nice subs are Infinities and DCM.

Barney

When I hear the term "Powered Sub" does that mean it has a built in amp or requires electricity? I'm thinking the former.

PS I'm still rocking to my Marantz 2325 receiver I got in the mid 70s so getting into HT is new to me.

When I hear the term "Powered Sub" does that mean it has a built in amp or requires electricity? I'm thinking the former.

Well, it's a reference to the former, in general.

That said, if it has a built-in amp it also requires power, as in (typically) AC main connection in addition to the audio connection to your stereo/HT gear.

You mention your newness to home theater... But, you also mentioned only a pair of stereo speakers. Are these your only speakers or do you have other speakers?

At the moment all I have is the pair of Altecs. Hoping to add 2 subs and a center channel. Being retired I don't spend money like I used too.

At the moment all I have is the pair of Altecs. Hoping to add 2 subs and a center channel. Being retired I don't spend money like I used too.
Are the Altecs lacking in bass output? I've never heared them play. But, they look pretty substantial. I hear ya on the money part... I'm in the same boat being permenantly disabled.

So, again... what are you after? A better stereo experience? Or, a HT experience? Not always advised to mix the two.

My concern was with what he is starting with it will be difficult to tonally match the other speakers to the giant Altecs. If the OP's primary concern is music listening, and is far less concerned about the possible mismatch of sound for video, then he does have a great starting point.

The biggest issue I would have with adding sub(s) is that they're going to have to be large (and expensive), 12 inch woofers and up to add to the lowest frequencies i.e. below 30 hz.
What a sub can do is free up the Altecs from having to reproduce the lowest frequencies so they have less distortion or add bass if you're after room shaking. :banana:

I think you are going to need a rather large sub or two to keep up the Altec Model 19. Like something loaded with an 18" driver though a pair of 15" can do the trick. Got any interest in DIY? Very large high outputs subs are the sweet-spot for DIY. In this case you may be better off running an external pro-audio amp rather than an internal plate amp, particularly if you are running a pair of subs.

I'm looking to rattle my windows and PO my neighbors. I have 12" sub in my wakeboard board which works great at stunning the fish :rockon:

I'm jack of most trades and master of none ... so I don't know about making my own.

Back
Top Bottom