ADS-910's

And it seems I have to instruct those shipping me stuff to do it in a specific manner which is more likely safer.

As I've gotten older and more experienced this just seems to be the norm, to have to instruct people how to do things the right way!

Some good news and some not as good.

The good is that the second box is open and additional pictures have been sent to the seller to share with the freight company to determine next steps regarding some sort of resolution.

The not so good news includes several areas of additional damage in the second box. This includes a top, rear corner of the cabinet being crushed down/in, the cross-over plate breaking out of the front of the baffle, a coil is removed from the cross-over and was loose within the box, though I do have it, one of the two screw handles / bolts that attaches the cabinet to the stand is fairly bent (I bet it's a 1/4" bolt thinkness!), and the screw handle is pulverized to bits.

The second stand itself seems to have made it ok but I haven't gotten into pulling any drivers yet to check magnet shifts, etc. The screens and all of the drivers visually appear to have no major damage which is pretty surprising given the other damage on the units.

I intend to upload pictures later today but they may not be for the "weaker of heart" amongst us.

And again, seller appears to remain genuine at this point so I'm optimistic, though at some point and some location I would certainly value other members thoughts and input on what appropriate "acceptances" would be on my part regarding what I paid for Vs. what was delivered, etc.

Thank you.

It's really hard to believe someone would ship 910's mounted on their stands. The stands are so easy to take apart and ship in a nice tight bundle. I'm really sorry this turned out this way but hope you can get them repaired so you can enjoy them.

People just don't know how to ship.

I'm glad I worked in a store back then, opening boxes whenever we sold the last one because if we had one there was one on the shelf. I got to see how to properly package gear to allow it to survive. Today, without item specific packaging, I go a bit further and then add something for the fact that the freight conveyor belts are 10 feet higher than they were back then. Damn almost talking myself into building a custom plywood box for anything I ship.

I sure hope this works out for you. If you can live with the repaired damage, they should be a great set of speakers. Those OCDs among us would have already sent them back. I'm not that way but sure do appreciate the gear in nice shape. Just spend way to many hours just making an SX-828 look nice. Easy to do that, spend way too many hours.

This thread is great and Ive been enjoying it and learning a lot. Thanks to many on a fb group, I became convinced ADS is what I wanted to add to the main system. Some of you may have participated in the recommendations. The result is that I am now a proud 910 owner. A nice nice surprise was the manuals that came with them. Not set up yet obviously. Just hooking them up tonight to try out. Its funny how they dwarf the NLAs and Heresy HIPs. And those were my big ones. They shipped on common carrier several states away...been a nervous wreck for days but they made it fine!
Jim20180515_182319.jpg 20180515_193349.jpg 20180515_193532.jpg

This thread is great and Ive been enjoying it and learning a lot. Thanks to many on a fb group, I became convinced ADS is what I wanted to add to the main system. Some of you may have participated in the recommendations. The result is that I am now a proud 910 owner. A nice nice surprise was the manuals that came with them. Not set up yet obviously. Just hooking them up tonight to try out. Its funny how they dwarf the NLAs and Heresy HIPs. And those were my big ones. They shipped on common carrier several states away...been a nervous wreck for days but they made it fine!
JimView attachment 1188434 View attachment 1188437 View attachment 1188439
Very nice looking 910's. Do you have the stands? Manual says they lift the cabs 10 inches, but it's really 7. It does make a big difference once they are raised off the floor. Enjoy those beasts!

Some damage pictures. Seller is filing damage claim with freight company, seller remains pleasant and communicative.

These are now added to the "project list".

Appreciate thoughts on restoration methods and/or repairs (assuming they're possible). :confused:

Last edited:
Some damage pictures. Seller is filing damage claim with freight company, seller remains pleasant and communicative.

Appreciate thoughts on restoration methods and/or repairs (assuming they're possible). :confused:

Damn. The seller so far seems like a stand up gent, hope he stays that way.
Regarding the damage.
The crossover cover latch areas looks like it can be repaired with some epoxy to get those pieces back flat in original position.
That crunched corner may improve with water to swell it back out some, may not be fully back to original level, but an improvement. If your really brave, after treating it with water, and see where it raises to, you could make cuts on the rear surface and tap in shims to force it back to level or just a little past it, then sand smooth. My gut tells me that may work well.
The broken stand leg should be welded at a local metal shop, ground smooth, and repainted.
The stand screw knob shaft can be straightened, very carefully. The knob glued back together. Profit all the pieces before actually gluing back together. You may need to make sub assemblies before the entire knob can be made whole again.
Glenn

I don’t think I’d accept anything but a full refund. Negligent packing job for sure. So sorry, such a bummer.

I'm very appreciative for the sharing of information and support from this community!

Aptone that is very generous, Conversation started.

Glenn, appreciate your counsel on getting these fixed-up, very helpful.

The damage is certainly disappointing but with the guidance of the knowledgeable folks here I'm hopeful to get these pieced back together and singing again.

I feel that the risk in shipping them back risks them to be damaged even further not to mention the uncompensated time, effort and expense. My hope is that the time and effort going into repairs would be more productive or at least personally worthwhile in getting them back in playable condition.

I'm very appreciative for the sharing of information and support from this community!

Aptone that is very generous, Conversation started.

Glenn, appreciate your counsel on getting these fixed-up, very helpful.

The damage is certainly disappointing but with the guidance of the knowledgeable folks here I'm hopeful to get these pieced back together and singing again.

I feel that the risk in shipping them back risks them to be damaged even further not to mention the uncompensated time, effort and expense. My hope is that the time and effort going into repairs would be more productive or at least personally worthwhile in getting them back in playable condition.
Totally agree, I wouldn't risk shipping them back.
No question these are worth repairing. These will blow you away, and maybe the neighbors! Feed them good high current power. They just get better.

Very nice looking 910's. Do you have the stands? Manual says they lift the cabs 10 inches, but it's really 7. It does make a big difference once they are raised off the floor. Enjoy those beasts!
I don't have the stands. I have a couple Harbor Freight little carts on the way to set them on - also from reading this thread. 6" I believe the comments said. Anxious to see the difference in the bass. I work at a manufacturing facility so believe me I'm thinking of options. Still need to rearrange the room. My room isn't big enough to fully appreciate them but already they are great!
~ Jim

Thats heart breaking. Glad the seller seems to be a stand up guy about it. I JUST received my first 910s this week and they came from Florida on LTL carrier. I'm in Oklahoma and was a nervous wreck from Friday to Tuesday. Amazingly mine, although separated from the skid they were strapped to, had not a single nick on them nor a snag in the fabric. Whew! You are going to repair yours I hope.
~ Jim

I don't have the stands. I have a couple Harbor Freight little carts on the way to set them on - also from reading this thread. 6" I believe the comments said. Anxious to see the difference in the bass. I work at a manufacturing facility so believe me I'm thinking of options. Still need to rearrange the room. My room isn't big enough to fully appreciate them but already they are great!
~ Jim
They are great!
I just checked the raised height, and it's 7 3/4 inches from the floor.
Enjoy your 910's!

They are great!
I just checked the raised height, and it's 7 3/4 inches from the floor.
Enjoy your 910's!

I got the little dollies and put the 910s on them. Ugly as hell and only raised about 4.5" off of the floor but wow, there is a very noticeable difference in the sound - bass especially. I see why the stands were "strongly recommended". If I didn't know better and couldn't see the speakers I really would think I was hearing different speakers altogether. Its amazing that just raising them makes that much difference. I love the 910s more today than yesterday and still have a few inches more to go!! Ah, new love.
~ Jim

Recently on this thread I think there were posts regarding badging and SN. Mine are much later and have the ADS (no 910) badge, serial 6940A and 6941A. What does the 'A' signify?

Recently on this thread I think there were posts regarding badging and SN. Mine are much later and have the ADS (no 910) badge, serial 6940A and 6941A. What does the 'A' signify?
I wish I could answer your question. There's a couple AKers who use to work at ADS that may know. Nice that they are sequencial.

Back
Top Bottom