Challenge for the modern fans - The best $1000 system.

How 'bout this?

EMOTIVA TA100 Premap/Tuner/DAC /Integrated Amp $400
ONKYO C-7030 CD Player $150
POLK AUDIO Monitor 70 Series II (Pair) $400

TOTAL $950
ta100_front_phono.png
front_large.jpg

Polk_Monitor_70_Series_2_studio_front.png

Option 1:

PS Audio Sprout100 $600 (PSAudio.com)
KEF Q100 $250/pr (Amazon.com from my business account. Not sure if that is the same price as a regular or prime, but the account is free if you own a business)
Signal Cable Ultra Speakers Cables $110 (signalaudio.com)
Pangea Audio Premier SE USB Cable $40 (Audioadvisor.com)

Option 2:
Emotiva TA-100 $400 (emotiva.com)
Emotiva BasX SAT Pair $89 (emotiva.com)
Signal Cable Silver Phono Set $79 (signalaudio.com)
u-turn Audio Orbit Plus $289

Last edited:
Option 1:

PS Audio Sprout100 $600 (PSAudio.com)
KEF Q100 $250/pr (Amazon.com from my business account. Not sure if that is the same price as a regular or prime, but the account is free if you own a business)

Option 2:
Emotiva TA-100 $400 (emotiva.com)
Emotiva BasX SAT Pair $89 (emotiva.com)
Signal Cable Silver Phono Set $79 (signalaudio.com)
u-turn Audio Orbit Plus $289

Looks good except for the $600 Sprout. Many more amp options that use the same chip for far less money.

Looks good except for the $600 Sprout. Many more amp options that use the same chip for far less money.

Most people who are really into audio are going to spend at least this just on speakers. Someone who is buying this type of system is going to likely not want a huge AV rack. The sprout is sexy and has wireless in a small form factor. I like monoblocks, but I assume the average person with this system isn’t looking for that. I would agree that you can get better. If you are into audio and 1k is all you can afford, look at used gear.

Polk Audio TSi400 Floorstanding Speaker $398 for the pair
Teac TN-350-WA Turntable $300
Yamaha R-N303BL Stereo Receiver with Wi-Fi Bluetooth & Phono Black $250

All priced today on Amazon, price includes shipping with 50 dollars left for cables\accessories

There is records, radio, network connectivity and Bluetooth for sources.

Is this audiophile? Most likely not but it would not embarrass anyone either with good room filling sound for any type of music.

You could change the Teac for an Onkyo DP-300F for a savings of $70 to further upgrade receiver or speakers.

Last edited:
I will throw my current system into the mix:

Speakers: Elac B6.2 - $250 when on sale.​

Subwoofer: Bic v1020 -$170​

Amp: NAD D3020: - $400

Wires: 100ft of Monoprice copper 14g- $20​

Source: Optical signal from Apple Airport Express - $100​

Total: $940 + Tax!

I love what I've put together, and I think it compares very well with the vintage gear I have owned.

Onkyo TX-8255 receiver $185.14

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AMSPQI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Onkyo C-7030 CD player $187.31

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UR487A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Pro-ject Debut Carbon 399.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00856L1J0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&smid=A14FMGGKFTICNN

Infinity Primus P163 bookshelf speakers $85.83 each- need two

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045NCB32/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Total $943.11

Add some RCA cables and speaker wire from Monoprice and you've got a nice little system for a $1000 with TWO sources.

Two minutes for including a discontinued receiver!

The prices for modern quality gear that sounds great are NOT out of reach. In fact, based on cost-of-living, this new stuff is as cheap as ever. I had to walk for a couple of months back in 1979, just to be able to afford my new $300 Pioneer SX-780 (which I still own... an AK member is scheduled to give it a full D-and-C shortly!)

What IS missing from the new stuff, for me anyway, is ANY SENSE OF STYLE OR SOUL from most any audio manufacturer out there!

Sure, THEY sound good, but... 98 percent of them are BLACK MONOLITHIC BLOCKS. About as interesting as dry rye toast :no:
"NO." I say... KEEP IT.

You've seen the revolution returning back to 2-channel audio from all that 5.1, 7.1, and 9.1 idiocy ... any one of the big manufacturers could totally run away with the whole game right now just by coming out with a 60WPC 2-channel receiver that looks good... looks interesting.
Price it at $799 and steal the show!

And; NO... I don't mean that Outlaw Audio mess... "What is and what should never be" :no:

Like the Outlaw?

No DIY.... I've lost interest already..... All the best sounding systems I've heard seem to either use upgraded off the shelf components or be full DIY. Actually I don't have a single system around the house fits the no DIY category.....

Fantastic thread... but as an estate liquidator who comes across AMAZING USED GEAR for next to no money. there is just so much great used kit out here... there is no reason to buy new - the audiokarma is much stronger when we recycle - pun intended! (But if you need to add to the landfills with more poor packaging... please buy new!)

No DIY.... I've lost interest already..... All the best sounding systems I've heard seem to either use upgraded off the shelf components or be full DIY. Actually I don't have a single system around the house fits the no DIY category.....

Must be minimally modifiable by the newbie solder handler, I think. That way a 0.03 system may jump up to a 0.3 or even a 3.0 type level with nary a few caps or and resistor changes.

That would rule out the too cute APPJ2013 altogether. If you like the sound of that unit stock, then that is what you must settle on, barring on some tube upgrades. It is also mostly unrepairable except for the mighty and learned lol

Triangle Bro3 Speakers - $549
APPJ/Miniwatt 4 tube model - $99 ( often on sale at Drop )
Topping D10s DAC - $99
VIVO speaker stands ( for near field ) - $59
Yearly subscription to Amazon Music HD - $130

I would just do a simple system based on a U-Turn Orbit turntable ($350+/-) and a Pluto preamp (onboard or outboard) (under $100) and Audioengine A5 speakers ( $500) and call it a day. Or even the Edifier speakers ($130) with Bluetooth as an optional source for the system. If I wanted a CD source I would get the Yamaha CD-S300 player ($350).

Back
Top Bottom