I Regressed And Bought A New Watch

I actually wear a waterproof watch when surfing, kayaking, or just drinking beer at the beach. I had a Freestyle (overpriced surfing brand with crappy mechanism) surf watch that finally bit the dust when slammed into some coral. I was kinda happy to be able to justify getting the Seiko SKX007 as a replacement.

I bought this vostok and its outstanding
s-l64.jpg

Started with Seiko 50 years ago, always had good luck with them. All my friends who own those "super premium" brands spend more on maintenance than I do on my watches....
About 6 years ago, I purchased this LumiNox Field Watch, it`s a nice, casual piece, and has become my daily knock-around watch. Keeps excellent time, I only have to set it every 6 months for the DST switch, and it`s less than a minute off at that point.

upload_2018-5-15_13-10-11.png

I find that time tracked by an analog watch is richer and fuller than time tracked by a digital watch. :biggrin:

What I’d really like is a camping/retirement watch that only tracks day and date- no hours or minutes- but haven’t found one like that yet.
Well OK then. :D How about digital that is analog-like?

IMG_20180515_132428-01.jpeg

Very hard to photograph correctly, but that's the gist of it.

Now you have me wondering if there is a way I could create a countdown calendar of some sort--the math would have to be hard-coded into the watch face (the start or ending date, in other words). But to make a watch face with day and date, and no time, would actually be really easy to do...

Another member of the Seiko Automatic Divers Club. Got this a couple of years ago and wear it everyday.

pOPAfoN.jpg

I like the 007 with the Jubilee bracelet, very comfortable! I changed to the black heavy mesh because I like the black strap look, but not rubber straps.

I like the 007 with the Jubilee bracelet, very comfortable! I changed to the black heavy mesh because I like the black strap look, but not rubber straps.
Yes, that bracelet is very comfy - quite flexible which makes a big difference over a stiff bracelet.

Lol, no rubber watch straps here.

Murray

I bought a vostok submariner from the early 70,s a few months ago.Keeps outstanding time as long as you wind it once a day.Never did adjust the date as I'm retired and don't really care what day it is ,lol.
41230857875_ab5d5e4b0c_c.jpg

This is the Amphibian or "Scuba Dude" that I bought for my wife.....I get it tomorrow. All and I mean all of the about 15 of the Russian watches I have bought, both new and vintage have been just garbage. Most at least worked and kept halfway decent time but ALL of them were assembled like crap. I brought a couple to a watchmaker across the street from me for some work. He is a Russian that fled the USSR and the first time I saw him he said "stop buying this Russian crap and buy a good Japanese watch!" LOL....he hated them. But this one was pretty much a steal and I will give them one more chance.

s-l1600.jpg

Well OK then. :D How about digital that is analog-like?

View attachment 1188027

Very hard to photograph correctly, but that's the gist of it.

Now you have me wondering if there is a way I could create a countdown calendar of some sort--the math would have to be hard-coded into the watch face (the start or ending date, in other words). But to make a watch face with day and date, and no time, would actually be really easy to do...

I’m sure digital works with an analog display is doable, and probably a setting in something like an Apple Watch. I was being curmudgeonly and looking for a full mechanical example that didn’t need to be charged.

I like the orange display! Looks sharp!

Last edited:
I bought a vostok submariner from the early 70,s a few months ago.Keeps outstanding time as long as you wind it once a day.Never did adjust the date as I'm retired and don't really care what day it is ,lol.
41230857875_ab5d5e4b0c_c.jpg

I know diddly about watches--haven't worn one since I was in my 20s--but that is a work of art.

I actually wear a waterproof watch when surfing, kayaking, or just drinking beer at the beach. I had a Freestyle (overpriced surfing brand with crappy mechanism) surf watch that finally bit the dust when slammed into some coral. I was kinda happy to be able to justify getting the Seiko SKX007 as a replacement.

Looks like they're gonna need lava-proof watches in our 50th State this week.

This is the Amphibian or "Scuba Dude" that I bought for my wife.....I get it tomorrow. All and I mean all of the about 15 of the Russian watches I have bought, both new and vintage have been just garbage. Most at least worked and kept halfway decent time but ALL of them were assembled like crap. I brought a couple to a watchmaker across the street from me for some work. He is a Russian that fled the USSR and the first time I saw him he said "stop buying this Russian crap and buy a good Japanese watch!" LOL....he hated them. But this one was pretty much a steal and I will give them one more chance.

s-l1600.jpg
You need a Kiev camera to go with that watch !

MaxxVolume I have a Kiev and Zenit cameras for mine,lol.Oh and a Russian winter military fur hat.Bodyblue where are you buying from?I got mine from the Ukraine.Theres actually a good collector following and theres actually fakes out there!!!

MaxxVolume I have a Kiev and Zenit cameras for mine,lol.Oh and a Russian winter military fur hat.Bodyblue where are you buying from?I got mine from the Ukraine.Theres actually a good collector following and theres actually fakes out there!!!

When I was buying them starting around 2012 I bought from third party sellers both here and in Europe. The old USSR stuff had some pretty dreadful quality control though there were some decent ones. The new Vostok stuff has been really hit or miss with quality control. A mis-aligned indices is rare for a Seiko or Citizen but quite common on a Vostok. The Russian stuff is indeed different than the far more popular Asian models but there is zero comparison in quality. I have never seen any russian watch that compared in quality to a Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, or even a Timex.

Their watches are like their cameras ,industrial.Im no collector but I read that there are some that are highly sought after.The one I have is rated pretty well vs like you say some pretty crappy ones.At least when you buy one your not out a fortune.Me ,unless I coat the back of a digital watch I will kill the battery in short order.I had a very nice Seiko years ago but some scumbag stole it at work while I was in the shower.Have a nice caravel by Bulova but it suffers from the me kill battery syndrome.I also have my granpas pocket watch that his employer gave him upon retirement .Its a Lucerne.

Back
Top Bottom