990DB Project Thread

Verify that the dolby switch is indeed in the "off" ( center ) position.

Dolby switch is in the off position.

Should Rec Level and Play Cal control the volume in addition to the main volume potentiometer?

Make sure your meter power level button is in the out position. ( non depressed)

Should Rec Level and Play Cal control the volume in addition to the main volume potentiometer?
I'm not sure.Its been quite a while since I've messed with one.I wouldn't think it would have any effect in the "off" position.

Not great sound, but sound. Sound comes in clear from the Main in, but the volume has to be more than half way before I get loud sound from the AUX in or FM.

Check F01 and F02 out of circuit with your meter and the solder connections to the same fuse clips.

I'm not sure.Its been quite a while since I've messed with one.I wouldn't think it would have any effect in the "off" position.

In the OFF position there should be no effect. In the Dolby Play position the play level does interact with the main volume control. I can't remember the impact of the REC control and can't check because I'm away from home...

In the OFF position there should be no effect. In the Dolby Play position the play level does interact with the main volume control. I can't remember the impact of the REC control and can't check because I'm away from home...
On mine it slightly increases the volume, even with Dolby set to off. I will double check the solder joints to make sure there are not any connections being made where there shouldn't be. However, when I looked last night, they all appeared to be okay.

I tested the fusistors on the other boards and they all tested okay. I'm sort of scratching my head on this. Short of some bad capacitors, I'm not all too sure where to go from here.

Since I get sound from the main amp in, would that mean I have an issue with the driver board? I changed out all the fusistors and resistors that tested out of spec, but I have not touched the caps, diodes, or transistors.

Found part of my issue: the fuse holders were not making solid contact with the fuses. I now have consistent meter movement at max volume with the FM. Still only quivers when on Aux.
I replaced the VD1212 diodes with paired 1N4148, since the diodes did not even read on my meter. I am going to test more components on the driver board and see if there are other issues.

Customer had incorrectly installed the dolby selector knob ...

I wish it were that simple. I've reflowed the solder on everything on the power supply circuit. No changes.

Could this be an issue of power? Where are the test points I should be looking at?

After some late night (for me on the east coast) thread reading I came across a post about the metal shaft of the dolby switch becoming dislodged.

I didn't think a fix could be so simple, but it was! I have both meters and normal audio! I guess I didn't notice when I had it off the dolby board to deal with the pass throughs.

Where/how should I glue the shaft to prevent this from ever happening again?

It still needs some tweaking. But, at least I can play some tunes while I decide whether to tear this thing down and do a full restoration.

Back
Top Bottom