I Regressed And Bought A New Watch

I have about a dozen automatic watches... this is my favorite
20140731_wristcheck.jpg

I like the hidden or "turtle" lugs....very handsome!

I find that time tracked by an analog watch is richer and fuller than time tracked by a digital watch. :biggrin:

What I’d really like is a camping/retirement watch that only tracks day and date- no hours or minutes- but haven’t found one like that yet.
Definitely warmer... seriously, I prefer an analogue face on most things with the exception of test instruments. Just can't beat an 'in a glance' information format.

Definitely warmer... seriously, I prefer an analogue face on most things with the exception of test instruments. Just can't beat an 'in a glance' information format.

I prefer analog faces for watches since they of more of a jewelry item.

I've always liked Seiko. I've had a SNJ007 for some years now, it's been great. Every Seiko I ever owned was flawless, reliable, and quite accurate.

This one has dual time zones, stopwatch/chrono, alarm, all the things.

SNJ007.jpg

I don't have many watches anymore (they were mostly stolen about 20 years ago), but I still have these two dress watches I bought in about 1987/89.

The Citizen is my all time favourite (full moon phases, day, date etc) and the first thing I'd ever put on lay-by. It cost me AU$210 back in the day. It is the most accurate watch I have ever seen- in a year it doesn't lose or gain even a second- I must have got a great crystal in that one.

IMG_2263 (Small).jpeg

IMG_2268 (Small).jpeg

I remember buying this Pulsar and a matching ladies' one for my gf so we had the same watches. Still got the watch...
IMG_2264 (Small).jpeg

IMG_2269 (Small).jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2267 (Small).jpeg
    IMG_2267 (Small).jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1
I don't have many watches anymore (they were mostly stolen about 20 years ago), but I still have these two dress watches I bought in about 1987/89.

The Citizen is my all time favourite (full moon phases, day, date etc) and the first thing I'd ever put on lay-by. It cost me AU$210 back in the day. It is the most accurate watch I have ever seen- in a year it doesn't lose or gain even a second- I must have got a great crystal in that one.

View attachment 1188583

View attachment 1188585

I remember buying this Pulsar and a matching ladies' one for my gf so we had the same watches. Still got the watch...
View attachment 1188587

View attachment 1188588

Pulsar is a Seiko brand that they use for lower price points in Asia and the US. Lorus is the name they use in Europe.....both are great buys since they use reliable Seiko movements.......great watches.

How is your arm ?
Must have been quite a hit !!!

Ewa Beach, HI. Late January 2018. Easy, sunrise waves. Using my sister's 10 ft Bear board and I pearl. Slow motion. Only impact was the watch face smacking the coral. No scrapes for me and the board sailed over my head. Went to the North Shore for an early dinner at The Beach House and watched the real surfers on the Banzai Pipeline afterwards.

Caught this "Watch Virus" but in a small way. Invictas have been my downfall. They're cheap. Made from extra tank parts. You have to be careful to get Japanese insides. And the weight of them (Sub Mariners) helps you keep in shape. There is a Tissot in my group of watches, but it's the ugly duckling of the litter. My Russian purchase (no name) lasted maybe two weeks. A record?

Nice to know I ain't alone in this minor weakness of acquisition.

Q

I’m sure digital works with an analog display is doable, and probably a setting in something like an Apple Watch. I was being curmudgeonly and looking for a full mechanical example that didn’t need to be charged.

I like the orange display! Looks sharp!
It's actually red in person--it is based on an accurate scan of the Columbia label. It's just hard to photograph.

That other watch you mention is persona non grata at Casa Wildcat. ;) I strongly dislike square watches anyway--my first was square and it looks too geeky. That is why I rock an LG Urbane. Round faced watches (mechanical or digital) look the best especially with the analog "movements." There are many nice watch faces out there, some based on mechanical watches. I use the watch mainly for getting my data notifications like email, text, hangouts, etc., but especially the alerts I get via Pushover which are an integral part of how I monitor all of the servers I manage. (I prioritize the Pushover notifications so that they will throw an alert even if my phone is set to "do not disturb.")

My record label watch faces are a hit when I make the usual audiophile or record store rounds. I would sell or share them (some take a little while to create), but the copyright issues on the designs are a grey area.

Last edited:
I prefer that in an automobile as well--the gauges are somewhat in my field of vision when looking straight ahead, and I can see where the needles are at without needing to refocus and stare at them to interpret them directly. I've never liked digital speed, RPM, etc. readouts in a car. Give me a round meter or at least a bar graph to show information. Not numbers. And now with my nearfield eyesight being for crap, some digits are now blurred beyond recognition, yet I can still see the needles perfectly.

Same with a clock or watch. Ever notice how we can (or at least, I can) recognize the time much faster with a pair of hands than having to read and interpret digits?

Back
Top Bottom