Your first, early, back in the day systems

shedshrine

Post your earliest system pics, or a pic of the piece if you don't have it in photo form.
(Research: Checked for this being done before, found an earlier thread here but the majority of pic links are dead now.)
EDIT: Photobucket has changed its policy and is now allowing previously blocked 3rd party hosting images to be viewed as of today 5 19 2018

My first system, all in one with tiny tinny speakers. photo circa 1978.
my%20room%201070w.png

The speakers pictured I got cheap and shortly after blew their tweeters so I jigsaw cut out space for Realistic horns. Had no idea what I was doing, just thought they looked cool...sound was not that great. Guitar falling into and ripping the woofer did not help, but the used AR speakers I got next changed the equation! Photo circa 1980.
my%20room%201981.png

Last edited:
Sad, I don't have any pics of my first 3 systems from 1971 until 1980 or so. After that, I have pics of the recievers, amps, etc, but all are just the stuff being in the background.
I saw a close up pic of my Audiocontrol C101, I really liked the LED show:
watch

Ds2000
So what are we looking at in the rack there? and was it conducive to good drafting? (looking at the table next to the rack..)

hemiram
Looks like a little radar system there.

First system Yamaha NS-1000, M-4,C-6 , T-1 , P-750/shure V15type IV and a Nak 480 tape deck. All purchased from the BX in Germany 80-82.

Sorry no pixs

Last edited:
Ds2000
So what are we looking at in the rack there? and was it conducive to good drafting? (looking at the table next to the rack..)

hemiram
Looks like a little radar system there.
Well let’s put on the remember 1990 hat.
On the drafting table is a copy of “The Westfield Leader”, the local paper of my town. I think I was going to use some images out of it and maybe the title in a collage/assemblage type thing. There are some hanging on the wall above the system. The black and white imagery under the table is just wallpaper of Victorian scenes.
The amp is a JVC A-X911, the cd is a NEC CD-903 and the cassette is a Sony TC-K 777. The speakers (not seen) are McIntosh ML-1C. My bro in law has them, we are going to do the surrounds and caps. Recently I found the proper environmental eq for them. I still have the Signet ultrasonic stylus cleaner. I also see the gray speaker cable, Stuart’s Audio special, a local hifi store house cable.

I think about the C-101 being the granddaddy of the spectrum display available on phones and PCs now.

I'm young, so my first stereo gear was a Panasonic shelf system (in 2005) that's still going strong in my parent's garage and a pair of Bose MediaMates (still used for travel).

Here's my first serious setup circa early 2013, which was basically the same as when I got the gear in December 2011 just moved to a different spot. Yamaha RX-V671 (still my surround receiver), Klipsch B-20s, Klipsch 10" sub, Ion turntable, Toshiba CD/DVD player, and Creative X-Fi HD Soundcard (still use for digitizing vinyl and tapes). The Klipsch and Ion were given to my brother to start his setup.

I've come a long, long way in a few years.

2013-01-21_12-56-10_343.jpg

LXI 9299 stereo system.jpg
The first stereo I bought with my own money... Sears LXI 9299 component system (found pic on the interwebs) . What was I thinking? Oh, yeah... now I remember. I was 19 and the stereo was LOUD!!!:rockon: I also bought a CD player but dont remember the brand/model.

Ok, this really makes me feel old! Early 1980's, right after I got married:IMG_0121.jpg IMG_0006.jpg Pioneer SX-6 receiver, Techniqs SLQ-300 turntable (still have), Sony CDP-102 (still have but doesn't work), Akai cassette deck, & Bose 601 series 2 speakers.

electrophonic.jpg

This was my first real stereo. Electrophonic all in one system with advanced air suspension speakers.

Still have it and it still works. Speakers are long gone.

Had it in layaway for a while paying what I could on it.

Amp was a Fisher Tube KX-100 kit I built. Tuner was an Arkay FM only kit I built with a Knight stereo converter. TT was a Garrard 210 3 speed with gobs of rumble. Cartridge was the first of GE stereo copied after their original GE VR II mono, only in stereo. Tape deck was a Sony play only 2 speed reel to reel. Speakers were EV 12" Wolverine in EV Patrician enclosure kit (I think) corner enclosures. Once in a while when the wind was blowing from the right direction I could even hear some bass notes.
The listening fatigue was very low. By low I mean maybe 15 minutes until my ears ruptured. This was in 1962/1963 when I was a Tool & Diemaker apprentice.
The first thing to be replaced was the KX-100 when the output tubes started welding themselves into the tube sockets. In 1972 I got a Marantz 1060. Still have it.
Eventually the speakers went and I got L-100's. Then a Scott 312 tuner. Then a AR TT, first ones made. Eventually I moved out of the city and got a Crown FM-1 tuner that I still have.

Amp was a Fisher Tube KX-100 kit I built. Tuner was an Arkay FM only kit I built with a Knight stereo converter. TT was a Garrard 210 3 speed with gobs of rumble. Cartridge was the first of GE stereo copied after their original GE VR II mono, only in stereo. Tape deck was a Sony play only 2 speed reel to reel. Speakers were EV 12" Wolverine in EV Patrician enclosure kit (I think) corner enclosures. Once in a while when the wind was blowing from the right direction I could even hear some bass notes.
The listening fatigue was very low. By low I mean maybe 15 minutes until my ears ruptured. This was in 1962/1963 when I was a Tool & Diemaker apprentice.
The first thing to be replaced was the KX-100 when the output tubes started welding themselves into the tube sockets. In 1972 I got a Marantz 1060. Still have it.
Eventually the speakers went and I got L-100's. Then a Scott 312 tuner. Then a AR TT, first ones made. Eventually I moved out of the city and got a Crown FM-1 tuner that I still have.

It took some time but I finally found the only photo I have of the setup from 1963 or so.IMG_0231.JPG

Back
Top Bottom