AR2ax pot knobs

dzkfraser

Hey, I have a pair that are beat to s**t that I'm going to fix up. There aren't any knobs on the pots, Anyone know of a good replacement, have no idea what the originals would be. Was thinking I could cob some together using some large wire nuts I have lying around(pretty clever huh)

I think that by the time the 2ax appeared, AR might have already abandoned the original knobs found on earlier pot stems. But if you want the authentic item from earlier models, look for these.

knobs.jpg

So I’ve seen a “few” expamples of AR2ax speakers, and none of them had knobs. I’m pretty sure 2ax’s weren’t supposed to come with knobs. BUT, if you want knobs, the knobs ra.ra has shown look just like the type AR was installing on the 3a’s.

Those "chicken heads" are the real vintage deal. If you aren't concerned about authenticity, surely you have some old equipment lying around you can steal knobs from. Look for knobs with a tiny set screw.

My local ACE Hardware has the cool chicken head knobs or the round ones in the little drawers of all hard to find specialty items etc. Usually above the nuts and bolts.

So I’ve seen a “few” expamples of AR2ax speakers, and none of them had knobs. I’m pretty sure 2ax’s weren’t supposed to come with knobs. BUT, if you want knobs, the knobs ra.ra has shown look just like the type AR was installing on the 3a’s.

That's odd, why wouldn't they put knobs on them? I like to keep the original vibe, but they really do need knobs, I'll check the big boxes to see what they got

That's odd, why wouldn't they put knobs on them? I like to keep the original vibe, but they really do need knobs, I'll check the big boxes to see what they got
Beats me, but I’ve seen 4 sets, definitely two of them were never touched and none had knobs.

That's odd, why wouldn't they put knobs on them? I like to keep the original vibe, but they really do need knobs
It is far more common to find classic AR speakers without the knobs - - at some point they must've felt that the textured stem on the pot was sufficient - - I think it works well enough but the little knobs look more finished. Pic of AR-2ax and AR-6 attached.

2ax rear terminals.jpg
rear terminals.jpg

Attachments

• 2ax rear terminals.jpg
    2ax rear terminals.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2
It is far more common to find classic AR speakers without the knobs - - at some point they must've felt that the textured stem on the pot was sufficient - - I think it works well enough but the little knobs look more finished. Pic of AR-2ax and AR-6 attached.

View attachment 1189092
View attachment 1189094

Sorta gotta wonder what their thinking was at that time. From everything I've read about vintage AR, it seems they really emphasized the "Research" part of their name because some of their design decisions are truly mind boggling. i can live without knobs but those knurled nubs are a little hard on the digits when turning them.

....because some of their design decisions are truly mind boggling.
I'd be curious to know which items are bugging you. What drives me crazy are those original and unreliable Aetna-Pollak pots, and I also dislike the little exposed tinsel wires used on front-wired tweeters and mids.

Re: original knobs, there was also this version found on some AR-2's.
AR-2 knob.jpg

I'd be curious to know which items are bugging you. What drives me crazy are those original and unreliable Aetna-Pollak pots, and I also dislike the little exposed tinsel wires used on front-wired tweeters and mids.

Re: original knobs, there was also this version found on some AR-2's.
View attachment 1189918

What you mentioned and the way the did the caps, I dunno, just the overall design, seems it could have been simplified a bit.

Back
Top Bottom