What, No Yanny vs. Laurel Thread on AK!?!

They are actually playing that on the radio this morning.

And "yanny" has it. They played it backwards, sped up, and slowed down and it was always that for me.

Me, too...until I played on laptop.
I'm just hoping this will explain everything: tubes v SS, IC and speaker wires, vinyl v digital....and "it depends..."

Funny thing, I heard this on the morning TV news, and definitely heard "Yanny".

Then, and the AM radio show on the way to work, I heard "Laurel", and in a much deeper voice.

When I played your link, I heard "Yanny" again........:dunno:

There's an interesting hypothesis/explanation that the high frequency content sounds like "Yanny" and the low frequency content sounds like "Laurel".

Apparently, if you can hear the high frequencies, you still might hear "Laurel", but if you can't hear the high frequencies, "Yanny" is entirely absent.

OK, I am officially nuts!
I played it again for my coworker, and I clearly heard "Laurel", while my coworker clearly heard "Yanny" even after several plays.

AARRGGHH!!

That loss of high frequency hearing is a good explanation.

I too heard it played on AM radio this morning and it was definately Laurel. The two broadcast hosts also stated the same. Based on what test tones I can distinguish, I know anything above 10k is absent. Those radio hosts are pushing 60 if not over which is the same age range I'm in.

Maybe younger people hear Yanni?

I wonder what context that sound bite came from and how did the debate get started in the first place.

th
vs
th

Back
Top Bottom