Mitsubishi LT-5V, calling all vertical Mitsubishi TT owners!

meatpants

I've been reading up on my LT-5V as much as possible and I was hoping someone could give me a hand. I have most everything sorted out but I just need some help with a couple of things.

1. Replacement bulb types and sourcing. Links to the bulbs in previous threads are dead and I've read seen folks mention 2 different type of bulbs that seem quite different. 3mm 12v 50mA lamps, and also 3mm 6v 5mA lamps. I'm not too sure which I should try and source.

2. The prism light, the light on the plexiglass "Prism" that shines on the platter to sense the record size turns on when the power to the unit is turned on, them randomly turns off, then on for a while. If someone has had a similar issue, or could offer up some advice on where to start, that would be fantastic

Thanks for your time!

LEDs work great. I used them in a Mitsu a few years ago. The tricky part was making them fit with a resistor soldered to one lead but there are some on eBay and elsewhere with the resistors already attached and coveted in heatshrink.

Measure the voltage at the bulbs or check the SM. I don't recall offhand what it was but choose voltage accordingly.

I had a look in the service manual, but I don't think the values are listed. I know how to to test for voltage but not sure how to figure out mA rating? Sorry if I have the terms incorrect.

LEDs work great. I used them in a Mitsu a few years ago. The tricky part was making them fit with a resistor soldered to one lead but there are some on eBay and elsewhere with the resistors already attached and coveted in heatshrink.

Measure the voltage at the bulbs or check the SM. I don't recall offhand what it was but choose voltage accordingly.

Last edited:
5ma sounds too low; I am not sure that rating is even available in light bulbs. 30 to 50 is more likely. I'll do some more research latet

Incidentally, one of the good things about that turntable is because it was vertical, it was much more immune to acoustic feedback-related sound 'blurring' than horizontal turntables, as the vibrations from speakers travelling up through furniture into the turntable tend to be mainly vertical in nature, and don’t affect the vertical tonearm and cartridge as much as with horizontal tonearms!:thumbsup:

I tracked down the issue with the intermittent prism lamp on the exterior that sense record size and speed. Turns out it was a bad solder on one of the lamp bulbs, nice and easy fix.

Other than tracking down a tone arm bulb, I just have one last problem, which is the standard thumping vibration that's I read is caused by not enough pressure from the clamp. I've stretched out the spring on my clamp and that certainly helps but the issue still rears it's head now and then. I've read that folks have added some more material to end of the clamp with puts more pressure on the record and this stops the thumping.

If anyone has any pics of what they used and how they attached it to the clamp, that would be pretty fantastic.

I've been reading up on my LT-5V as much as possible and I was hoping someone could give me a hand. I have most everything sorted out but I just need some help with a couple of things.

1. Replacement bulb types and sourcing. Links to the bulbs in previous threads are dead and I've read seen folks mention 2 different type of bulbs that seem quite different. 3mm 12v 50mA lamps, and also 3mm 6v 5mA lamps. I'm not too sure which I should try and source.

2. The prism light, the light on the plexiglass "Prism" that shines on the platter to sense the record size turns on when the power to the unit is turned on, them randomly turns off, then on for a while. If someone has had a similar issue, or could offer up some advice on where to start, that would be fantastic

Thanks for your time!
Check the solder joints on the board going to the lamp. I had the same problem the lite was intermittent.

Meatpants: I got some very thin cork sheet and thin rubber sheet. Like gasket material. Don't know where you are located, but mine came from ACE hardware. Cut a disc for my LT 640 and held it on with double sticky tape. Not sophisticated, but it works. Must be very thin or the clamp wont catch. My 5V is working OK without it.

Back
Top Bottom