Current Crop of R-2R DACs

And I have to say, even that little Muse $55 TDA, 1543 x 4 NOS DAC sounds really good. I also picked up a bare board model, to experiment with output caps in the future. Run it with a iFi 9 volt power source.
I have to say I'm extremely happy with the Project DAC Box S FL, and the modded Maverick D1, and the little MUSE NOS. I can't say I need any more DAC's in the near future, because the sheer musicality and flow of these DAC's, well I frankly have what I need. I have already.
The Maverick D! is fun ,because you can switch between the non tube buffered stage. I rarely due, but some music, like some tunes on IHeart Punk Taco's sound a bit better. But for the most part I enjoy the NOS Dac's, or quasi NOS D1.
I think my modded AMT3's make the most of them. Pretty cool!!

I cant say I would recommend getting rid of the D2, if to sounds anything like my D1. You'll regret it!! What amazes me is how good that old TDA1543 chip sounds. Something magical about what it does to music. Kinda in the same vein as the Great Heil. Maybe not razor sharp accurate. So what? "Totally true the signal" systems IMHO, from what I have heard, are hard to listen too, especially over a extended period. What's the point?
I'm sure I will hear it from a Schiit rube, but that was my main problem with the Schiit RtR dacs, I liked them, but not for extended listening. A easy way of summing was they were too bright, and sounded like what I don't like about solid state electronics.
Maybe my ears are getting old, they are, but I like a smooth but detailed flow, not just detailed.

Metrum Acoustics will be releasing a minimalistic DAC based on their R2R modules. Not much details so far but I'm guessing up to 192kHz sampling and 24 bit resolution (claimed) over SPDIF, should be priced around $500.

flint.jpg flint2.jpg

Last edited:
I've been putting the 22lbs Dutch through some paces for the last couple of weeks. I think I like what I'm hearing. I also think it may be slightly colored but I'm okay with that as it is so much fun. Currently using single-ended outputs that are transformer-coupled or rather summed from balanced, perhaps it adds a certain effect. I never thought I would end up with one, but these are trickling down to the used market at much friendlier prices than the original and it was so hard to resist...

DSC_3285.JPG

I've been putting the 22lbs Dutch through some paces for the last couple of weeks. I think I like what I'm hearing. I also think it may be slightly colored but I'm okay with that as it is so much fun. Currently using single-ended outputs that are transformer-coupled or rather summed from balanced, perhaps it adds a certain effect. I never thought I would end up with one, but these are trickling down to the used market at much friendlier prices than the original and it was so hard to resist...

View attachment 1179005

Nice! Which Metrum is this?

Nice! Which Metrum is this?

It is the L1 Pavane, notice the 8 modules. Newer models that run in balanced mode (Pavane, Adagio, Onyx, Jade) have 4 total as the latest Transient modules effectively have 2 DACs in each of them.

Just ordered the Soekris 1321

Soren is super nice and always returned all my emails extremely quick.

This will be my first R2R DAC and I like the fact I can use it as a pre with remote volume, and user can install their own filters or go NOS.

^^^ Nice, I read only good things about Soekris DACs, I'm sure you'll be happy. I became somewhat disillusioned about NOS though, I never thought it was superior but kind of liked how it sounded, I'm not sure I like it as much anymore. I'm happy with Metrums though, they are nice designs and I can oversample in software 7 days a week.

^^^ Nice, I read only good things about Soekris DACs, I'm sure you'll be happy. I became somewhat disillusioned about NOS though, I never thought it was superior but kind of liked how it sounded, I'm not sure I like it as much anymore. I'm happy with Metrums though, they are nice designs and I can oversample in software 7 days a week.

Yeah it will be cool to be able to install a NOS just to hear it, but from everything i read i'll prob prefer the minimum butterworth filter. nice to be able to program custom ones in. Metrum was on the list too, but didn't have $1200 yet to splurge for a DAC. but i'd love to hear one someday.

With Metrum you just need to be on lookout for a used one, you can score a 1-2 y/o mint unit for less than half original price, I know because I did, twice. Still pricey, but worth it IMO, especially the new models that use 24-bit modules. However I just can't see myself buying one at retail.

Just got my Soekris 1321 today. Gonna set it up and let it run for a while. I’ve read the R2R DACs need some warming up / break-in time.

DDE5AC7C-BECD-47E1-BE77-62C45FE1C82B.jpeg
9D1B484B-E78C-470D-9E39-50B4D2987AEC.jpeg
04EBB964-7C72-4C02-8E09-B500483E64FF.jpeg

Nice! Just let it warm up for half an hour. You got it quickly it seems, do they ship from Denmark?

Yep it shipped 2-day from Denmark. Super fast. Via UPS. That was with the "free shipping" option

2 day UPS over the pond usually isn't cheap, it is a nice bonus you get it for "free". Please report back with impressions.

And I have to say, even that little Muse $55 TDA, 1543 x 4 NOS DAC sounds really good. I also picked up a bare board model, to experiment with output caps in the future. Run it with a iFi 9 volt power source.
I have to say I'm extremely happy with the Project DAC Box S FL, and the modded Maverick D1, and the little MUSE NOS. I can't say I need any more DAC's in the near future, because the sheer musicality and flow of these DAC's, well I frankly have what I need. I have already.
The Maverick D! is fun ,because you can switch between the non tube buffered stage. I rarely due, but some music, like some tunes on IHeart Punk Taco's sound a bit better. But for the most part I enjoy the NOS Dac's, or quasi NOS D1.
I think my modded AMT3's make the most of them. Pretty cool!!
Can you please comment on any sonic differences between the Muse and the Project dacs?

Quick update:

This is my first R2R DAC. Not a full review but been using the Soekris since Wednesday and it hasn't been turned off, being fed just USB right now (both power and signal).

The best way i can describe it is great.. it just seems to pull out lots of detail (can hear lots of nuances and every piece of instrument, etc even when tons of things are going on at same time) and everything is tight imaging wise. The soundstage seem to have a better depth now. like i can hear drums further back than some instruments and vocals. It's smooth and never fatiguing. It has 4 different "filters" you can run, I tend to keep it on Green filter "Minimum Phase filter, also called butterworth filter".

Supposedly there is a newer firmware that adds 4k taps on each filter... will try that once i get back from vacation after next week.

Minimum Phase has non-linear phase response across frequencies but no pre-ringing, this is similar to steep analog filters in the first NOS DACs.

Can you please comment on any sonic differences between the Muse and the Project dacs?
Once warmed up, the Dac Box S FL has a smoother flow, and more detail, particularly levels, and 'timing' the Muse lacks.
It's really quite startling the difference between a 'cold' Dac Box S Fl, and a fully warmed (seems like I'm now finding 2 hours +, better yet a good day, does the trick).
I think the better quality of supporting parts is probably the reason. It's also properly heat sinked, so excessive heat build up isn't a issue. IMHO it's a real bargain even at list price. It's definitely superior to the French DAC 3, more refined.
Having 2 DAC Box S FL for both my systems I'm set, and they are my go to, the Maverick second for CD's. Plus it really doesn't need a long warm up.
With each new, or re-listened to cd, the Box S Fl continues to amaze me with it's relaxing, and enjoyable musicality. I'm really enjoying music again, instead of segmented listening.
Before I found the DAC Box, and Maverick, I really had a love/hate relationship with my former Rtr DAC's (mostly Schiit), and hence my system. They sounded really good, I just couldn't stand them for more then a hour or so.
Funny how that final fine tuning just opens everything up!!

Once warmed up, the Dac Box S FL has a smoother flow, and more detail, particularly levels, and 'timing' the Muse lacks.
It's really quite startling the difference between a 'cold' Dac Box S Fl, and a fully warmed (seems like I'm now finding 2 hours +, better yet a good day, does the trick).
I think the better quality of supporting parts is probably the reason. It's also properly heat sinked, so excessive heat build up isn't a issue. IMHO it's a real bargain even at list price. It's definitely superior to the French DAC 3, more refined.
Having 2 DAC Box S FL for both my systems I'm set, and they are my go to, the Maverick sThanks for the econd for CD's. Plus it really doesn't need a long warm up.
With each new, or re-listened to cd, the Box S Fl continues to amaze me with it's relaxing, and enjoyable musicality. I'm really enjoying music again, instead of segmented listening.
Before I found the DAC Box, and Maverick, I really had a love/hate relationship with my former Rtr DAC's (mostly Schiit), and hence my system. They sounded really good, I just couldn't stand them for more then a hour or so.
Funny how that final fine tuning just opens everything up!!
Thanks for the insightful information. I have been interested in a nos dac based on the many comments I have read about them.

Back
Top Bottom