Review: MC611

joeinid

http://enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0418/McIntosh_MC611_Review_Preview.htm

McIntosh_Labs_MC611_front.jpg

Last edited:
I wish he had done a bit more editing.

He covered the basics but there are some grammar & partial sentence errors that break up an otherwise decent flow to the review. His constantly re-plowing the same old ground of the "buy before you try" experience got very very old very very quickly. And what was up with the long list of prior gear? A filler to meet the minimum words required to submit his review? That was tiresome.

We really don't need expletives to be declarative or concise. Rather, in my view, it considerably distracts the reader from the subject.

I'll have to look elsewhere for a concise, well-written, review.

I wish he had done a bit more editing.

He covered the basics but there are some grammar & partial sentence errors that break up an otherwise decent flow to the review. His constantly re-plowing the same old ground of the "buy before you try" experience got very very old very very quickly. And what was up with the long list of prior gear? A filler to meet the minimum words required to submit his review? That was tiresome.

We really don't need expletives to be declarative or concise. Rather, in my view, it considerably distracts the reader from the subject.

I'll have to look elsewhere for a concise, well-written, review.
In contrast, I enjoyed it! I get so tired of the same sterile review approach. Here, he does a good job of conveying his enthusiasm. His tidbits about his SO's response to the amps we're also welcomed and informative.

With McIntosh, it's about the music - to that end, he nailed it.

I was glad to just get some feedback and I enjoyed it! There are time when you just have to have enough enthusiasm for the hobby to just dive in and he did.

I certainly don't advocate for the same old same old review format and formula.

But that review was much less than any one of us deserves with respects to a great new amplifier from McIntosh.

Thanks guys and agree, the review is less 'formal' than industry norms. Truly appreciate the input and have taken it to heart as the 'proper full review' coming in June will be a new concept that seeks to satisfy BOTH 'camps' of readers. Thanks again and as always, in end what really matters is that you.... enjoy the music.

Thanks guys and agree, the review is less 'formal' than industry norms. Truly appreciate the input and have taken it to heart as the 'proper full review' coming in June will be a new concept that seeks to satisfy BOTH 'camps' of readers. Thanks again and as always, in end what really matters is that you.... enjoy the music.
IMHO, you have nothing to apologize for. I enjoy your style and your review was dripping with enthusiasm, something missing in the standard clinical review.

Oh hey, welcome to AK!

SteveRochlin, I hope you mention in your review whether the newer amps run hotter or about the same as the amps they replace. I realize there are parts changes but I am also wondering if the bias has been changed. It's just a curiosity thing. I don't really care about the temperature in itself.

Thank you for showing true enthusiasm and writing a first impressions review. I'll be looking forward to your more through review.

Hi Kevin as have never had the previous 601 i simply have no way of comparing. The new MC611 run only slightly warm, though also remember i'm only able to use about 300W max out of them using the tweaked Dunlavy Signature SC-IV speakers. Hope this helps and wish know more :(

I am always suspicious of this type of testing with out scientific verification. Others have tested the 601 and found out it can drive a 1 ohm load from the 2ohm tap or a 4 ohm load from the 8 ohm tap and meet specs to peak levels above a 1000 watts . They also have damping factor charts that will amaze you. The quality of the autoformers has really improved over the years. So with the introduction of the 611 and its improvements I wouldn't be a bit surprised that some of his subjective ratings should be higher. He may have had a slight case of allergies or a bug quietly skewing his review. And lets face it the way an amp interfaces with a particular speaker can really throw a positive light or a monkey wrench into the scheme of things. But thats what I like about the latest gen of Mac amps they are able to deal with complex speaker anomalies so much better than the 7000 and later preceding models.

Thx for your post twii and please note those rating are marked in bold red Preliminary Rating! -- Not Final!

As always, in the end what really matters is that you... enjoy the music.

Thx for your post twii and please note those rating are marked in bold red Preliminary Rating! -- Not Final!

As always, in the end what really matters is that you... enjoy the music.
So, now that you've lived with the amps a while - what say you in regard?

Am too tired to even think.

Basically, we love them.

Apologies, just launched a COMPLETE new site design on EnjoyTheMusic.com (7000+ pages modded!) plus am working on HIGH END Munich show report, etc.

They need about 30 min to an hour warm-up to sound best. Great imaging, lovely sound. More in the review... whenever i find time to write it. Prob in the July issue. June is booked SOLID!

Am too tired to even think.

Basically, we love them.

Apologies, just launched a COMPLETE new site design on EnjoyTheMusic.com (7000+ pages modded!) plus am working on HIGH END Munich show report, etc.

They need about 30 min to an hour warm-up to sound best. Great imaging, lovely sound. More in the review... whenever i find time to write it. Prob in the July issue. June is booked SOLID!
Many of us here have been Mc owners for decades - me three. The common theme is that we all chased perfection and when we found McIntosh, we began listening to music.

Its true we chase for while quite a while in fact. I left Mac because I didn't like the sound of 2100's, and 2105's with my speakers in the 70's. I should have gotten four MC 3500's, but that was a lot of money back in 1970. I wanted to come back with three 7200's, but I was to busy traveling and RVing and space was short for 3 7200's. But when I discovered a 206 and 207's I returned to the fold. I have always stuck with Mac pre-amps, tuners, CD, and DVD players, with a little help from Pioneer and Marantz for disc recorders. How is it something you record on a Pioneer DVD recorder looks better on a Mac and something you record on A Marantz CD recorder sounds better on a MAC. But if you have a DVD or CD that won't play on any of 6 machines , it will play on a Pioneer Combi Laser, DVD, CD player. Excluding Bly ray of course. Makes me scratch my head. I have some Iron rail dvd's that will only play on the Combi player and a few other movies that have issue , too. So though I have only a few lasers left I keep the machine for the Pesky small discs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom