Awesome Small-Form Factor Amps

Love these little TEACs to look at but haven't heard them. They seem to get mixed reviews.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Anyone for the Sprout? How about the new Sprout 100? PS Audio has listened to customer feedback, made a few improvements, and bumped the power up to 100w/ch in the same package. They had it at AXPONA and it was pumping out an incredible amount of sound for the size! Paired with some ELAC UB5s, it would make for a killer "mini system" for a den or small room.

Here's the new one:

upload_2018-5-16_12-55-2.png

Class D is the PS used really. Hence why they are delineated from regular SS (class a and a/b).

If by "PS", you mean power supply, then I think you're confusing "switch mode power supply" with Class D "switching" output configuration.
Two different things. Neither dependent on the other.

Class A, A/B, D...can all be configured to run off either linear or switching power supplies.
Which is not to say that all amp designs will work well with either.

I recently saw a Class A FET amp which runs off a laptop brick [almost bought it].
Class A/B amps that use switching power supplies have been around awhile.
Class D amps work quite well with linear supplies.

There are excellent sounding Chinese class D amps and some that are good but less than great. Even the ones in the latter category sound better than the original T-amps which started the whole class D craze. This configuration of the TPA3118 ( Volt+ ) is the best I've heard but I haven't tried the Volt+D yet. Having massive iron in the linear regulated PS helps it rival many SET amps. The power supply is everything with these amps so if you're using a cheap lap top power brick you're not experiencing the amp's full capability.

PA250049.jpg

I don't know about the power supply, the guy at TNT audio who started the t amp madness said it doesn't matter much.
I have some t amps and tpa3116, and one with some other chip. Listening at very low volume they are very good, the microdetails are great, probably because high power solid state like I have don't like to play at very low volume.
I have a Topping T amp in the bedroom with some high efficiency vintage speakers, and I love it, but once I get it to the living room it becomes anemic..

Today I received this new Volt+D from India. Impressions to follow.

volt-plus-d-amplifier.jpg

I ordered a Volt+ in clear case and it just cleared customs in Mumbai today! My reason for purchasing was that I want to give my Decware SE84UFO the summer months off.

Poultrygeist, how does the stepped volume feel? Too stiff, not stiff enough, or just right? Thanks

Onkyo mini amplifier made in Japan model A-905X has binding post on the back and sounds pretty darn good. Thought I would toss some semi vintage small form factor in the mix.
DSCI0066.JPG

I ordered a Volt+ in clear case and it just cleared customs in Mumbai today! My reason for purchasing was that I want to give my Decware SE84UFO the summer months off.

Poultrygeist, how does the stepped volume feel? Too stiff, not stiff enough, or just right? Thanks

The Volt+D's stepped volume control is definitely on the stiff side but it's not a distraction. You won't be yanking it up and down as there's a handy mute switch. Mine sounds excellent with incredible detail although the film caps haven't broken in yet.

Onkyo mini amplifier made in Japan model A-905X has binding post on the back and sounds pretty darn good. Thought I would toss some semi vintage small form factor in the mix.

YES!

So that's the amp I ended up with after a pretty long search for the perfect (for me) mini amp...

After a couple of days with the Volt+ D I expect it will replace the 2a3 SET for the summer and maybe even longer. It's a detail freak so If you won't to hear all the spit in Miles' trumpet it won't disappoint.

Back
Top Bottom