Lets Talk World and Dub what are you listening lately that is unusual and awesome?

sko19

2 records fit this for me.

Dub= Fred Lock's Black Star Liner in Dub
World=Mdou Moctar's Afelan!

I really like Mdou Moctar's Afelan album. Its rock and roll from North West Africa and it is awesome. hausfrau.jpg

bottom of page save,…
Spinning live Classical Persian - Sufi Mysticism
Its sort of a hybrid of percussionists: afrcian hand drum kit on left, with large gourd-like leather head drums, and Udu clay pots. The right side is classical persian percussion of daf and tom bak. There is also a centered setar player (persian long neck lute), to complete a trio.

edit to add:
there is an active World music thread already, in the first two pages of this sub-forum, most likely. This is probably why no responses/views.

Last edited:
Norwegian Dub Jazz!

3UlU0jV.png

Back in the very early `70s (like 1971), long before the term "disco" was even used, there were a bunch of funky little dance clubs popping up all over NY and NJ, mostly spread by word of mouth. Groups like Osibisa, Malo, and Mandrill were in heavy rotation with the DJs at these clubs. Those were exciting times, I miss them !

Another lively number from Osibisa (if this doesn`t make you shake your ass, you probably have no pulse ! :) )

When it comes to Dub, after On-U Sound, it's all over for me.

In fact I think the On-U Sound label is criminally unrepresented on AK!

I ran across a CREATION REBEL "STARSHIP AFRICA" re-issue lately
IMG_20180519_082237.jpg and started pulling out some of my old favorites...

DUB SYNDICATE "THE POUNDING SYSTEM"
IMG_20180519_082629.jpg

MISSING BRAZILIANS "WARZONE"
IMG_20180519_082707.jpg

AFRICAN HEADCHARGE "MY LIFE IN A HOLE IN THE GROUND"
IMG_20180519_082542.jpg

All superlative examples of hardcore Dub.

Back
Top Bottom