What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Here’s something to consider. It’s well known that Beethoven lost his hearing entirely and continued to compose music afterwards, but his hearing deteriorated over a period of years, not months.

He apparently discovered how deaf he was becoming when he saw birds being frightened by the sound of the bells of Stefansdom, Vienna and couldn’t hear the bells himself.

I wonder how much his mind had been filling in up to the point of that realization, if that tale is actually true.

It seems to me that the brain is the true organ of hearing and can fill in a huge amount of information before noticeable deterioration in sound quality occurs. Everything between the source and the brain contributes, of course, to the perceived sound. Seems like an interesting subject to me, but also a can of worms, so I’m not going to start a new thread on the subject.
Nice perspective, Kevin. I think the brain is often left out of conversations like this and it shouldn't be. To me, the babble about "audiophile sound quality" never considers the grey matter between our ears. Psychoacoustics is an amazing field and can probably answer a lot about why we perceive speaker A as sounding better than speaker B, or analog vs. digital, etc, etc. Yet, most audiophiles tend to dismiss psychoacoustics as conjecture.

LOL, it is all personal preference :) Honestly, I get just as much enjoyment listening to YouTube videos through my CELL phone as I do the stereo....It is about the music in the end....
Whaaaaat….?
dumbfounded-spock.jpg

Nice perspective, Kevin. I think the brain is often left out of conversations like this and it shouldn't be. To me, the babble about "audiophile sound quality" never considers the grey matter between our ears. Psychoacoustics is an amazing field and can probably answer a lot about why we perceive speaker A as sounding better than speaker B, or analog vs. digital, etc, etc. Yet, most audiophiles tend to dismiss psychoacoustics as conjecture.
I touched on this topic yesterday :)
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-to-right-now.278564/page-10774#post-11616225

Hi, Rob. Not all vinyl was recorded very well either. I'd gladly rather listen to the latest re-mastered cd version of EXILE ON MAIN STREET than the original vinyl release.
You are not kidding , Mac. There are plenty of vinyl recordings that just were not done well. Jefferson Starship Winds Of Change comes to mind. The master tapes are so bad that they cannot even make a decent cd remaster of it. Always sounded muddy to my ears, both the vinyl and cd.

I still have my NAD 6300. I haven't played it in years. The DRAGON was equalled at the time by the top of the line European TANDBERG player. The TANDBERG as was true of most European equipment, had far less buttons. The Japanese loved their buttons.

I read that, And the TOTL Tascam had a nicer transport. Suspended cassette or some craziness

Back
Top Bottom