What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Did not know that.
Winds of Change, Be My Lady, Can't find Love and Black Widow always sounded OK to me.
Wrecked a MCS receiver on Black Widow back in the 80's and did think that I Will Stay and Jaws of the Dragon did always seem a bit muddy though.
Dug it up to give a re-listen today what I might have been missing.
That does suck when the masters are bad. You'll never get it back if those are bad and your name as a recording engineer is probably mud too.
View attachment 1189117
I am only estimating that the master tapes were not recorded well-I could be wrong. But to my ears, that album always sounded muddy and very flat with no dynamics at all. Even the recent cd remaster, although somewhat better, is still not that good. It is a shame because this is an exciting dynamic album and it should have slam and great depth, but it doesn't.

I'm selling the stereo and getting this:
searssolidstaterecordplayer.jpg

Well, like you said, Blitz; it's all about the music.

I am only estimating that the master tapes were not recorded well-I could be wrong. But to my ears, that album always sounded muddy and very flat with no dynamics at all. Even the recent cd remaster, although somewhat better, is still not that good. It is a shame because this is an exciting dynamic album and it should have slam and great depth, but it doesn't.
I'm listening to it now and sounds ok by my old ears. Maybe it's the Pickering but the highs are there. Slick and Balin's vocals are clear and up front. I do recall the tape back in the day lacked sizzle.
But these dang click, pops and surface noise. How can any of you listen to this archaic vinyl any more.
MP3's are where it's at. The future. Get on board! :p

Yea that was it. One bad boy and great for party night.
4 901's hung in the corners, a TEAC R2R and a monster Nitto amp I've never seen the likes of again.
Okinawa PX purchases.
Needed it all to drown out the sound of B-52 touch and go's at the end of Mather AFB in Sac.

When we have guests, And it reverses, They run over to it. How, How. Funny as hell

Yep. Great party's back then. It was my 1st exposure to real "Hi-Fi" other than a few of the old timers my Father worked with in the 70's who were mysterious and always had really good sound when we'd go over for Pinochle night.

Same here. Walking into that Exchange audio department was a moving experience for a 19 year old, To put it mildly

Here’s something to consider. It’s well known that Beethoven lost his hearing entirely and continued to compose music afterwards, but his hearing deteriorated over a period of years, not months.

He apparently discovered how deaf he was becoming when he saw birds being frightened by the sound of the bells of Stefansdom, Vienna and couldn’t hear the bells himself.

I wonder how much his mind had been filling in up to the point of that realization, if that tale is actually true.

It seems to me that the brain is the true organ of hearing and can fill in a huge amount of information before noticeable deterioration in sound quality occurs. Everything between the source and the brain contributes, of course, to the perceived sound. Seems like an interesting subject to me, but also a can of worms, so I’m not going to start a new thread on the subject.
I believe it. You should hear all the sound my brain is constanty filling in. Tinnitus is the pits.

Back
Top Bottom