6AN8 Subs

jaymanaa

RIP 1961-2018
Is there a super premium substitute for the 6AN8. I wouldn't even mind a wiring change if need be. Would prefer something with gold pins.

How about a "new" 6an8a ? There is no real shortage of them ....

Are you seeking a tube with other properties ? If so what ?

Just a better than RCA or GE tube. Don't see any older Mullards or Teles in this number.
I don't think phillips or telefunken ever made 6an8.
They did make ecf82 ( 6u8 ) and ecf80 ( 6bl8) but these are disjoint 6an8 in pins and properties.

I have a set of Sylvania and a set of RCA. RCA are in use, the Sylvania are backups. Frankly I can't hear a bit of difference between them. The Sylvania were NOS with Philco branding and boxes, the RCA were also NOS. $cheap, which is nice.

6AN8's are plentiful and relatively cheap. If I remember correctly they were designed for TV use which is why there aren't any European versions to be found. I find them at swap meets for a buck or 2 and they can be bought from on line vendors for 5 or 6 dollars. I've never heard any difference in sound from one brand to another.

I'm thinking that the only 6AN8 you will get with gold pins will be one of these:rolleyes:

il_fullxfull.1273099066_oxf0.jpg

I bet you're right, Art! I only have one of these, a 7189A that is a Mullard Blackburn re-label. Still good, so I haven't tried to turn it in for a replacement. Wait--they RadioShack is now defunct.....

I bet you're right, Art! I only have one of these, a 7189A that is a Mullard Blackburn re-label. Still good, so I haven't tried to turn it in for a replacement. Wait--they RadioShack is now defunct.....

I may have indirectly contributed to their eventual demise; I have no idea how many tubes I exchanged under their ''Lifetime'' warranty when I was a kid,but it would certainly have put a serious dent in their revenues:biggrin:

Jay,

With a little "Fiddling Around" you can sub a ECF82 and the Siemens are usually gold pin.

And there are a lot of 6U8 premium tubes out there. (Needs Rewiring Also)

Look for Sylvania GB-1252's if you want something special

Frannie

Some GE 6AN8As were marked "Made in Gt Britain." I don't know who the OEM was - Mullard used "Made in Gt Britain" on tubes they made but there are no Philips codes on the glass. I can't tell you how they sound, since I'm using them in a Tektronix oscilloscope I'm reviving.

Some GE 6AN8As were marked "Made in Gt Britain." I don't know who the OEM was - Mullard used "Made in Gt Britain" on tubes they made but there are no Philips codes on the glass. I can't tell you how they sound, since I'm using them in a Tektronix oscilloscope I'm reviving.

Ha,that's funny! I also have an old Tek that uses 6AN8's:)

I'm using GE 6AN8's as drivers in my Sansui 1000A. Have had them in it since mid 2010 and they are as quiet as a friggin tomb! Got them from Jim McShane. And they sound pretty damned good compared to the matsushita's that were originally in it.

There are two "premium" pentode - triode tubes I know of is the Sylvania 7687 and the European E80CF. The 7687 was supposed to be a 7199 killer and the E80CF was a uprated 6BL8. Both are plug & pray if you have a 6GH8 pinout.

The 6AN8 is a great sounding tube and there were JAN military out there too.

There are two "premium" pentode - triode tubes I know of is the Sylvania 7687 and the European E80CF. The 7687 was supposed to be a 7199 killer and the E80CF was a uprated 6BL8. Both are plug & pray if you have a 6GH8 pinout.

The 6AN8 is a great sounding tube and there were JAN military out there too.
Hi Terry, is the 7687 a drop in replacement for the 7199 or does it require a rewire of the socket?
PS , you still driving that corvair? I miss my corsa, but it practically rusted as i looked at it.

The 7687 is the same pinout as the 6GH8, as far as I know the 7199 is all by itself.

I sold the Corvair a couple years ago, now I have a low mileage original '95 Impala SS.

Back
Top Bottom