Anyone Else Sit Way to Close to Their System?

Flyingbase

As I'm sitting here writing this post I am sitting in what I've dubbed the "music nest". A spot on my floor between my bed and speakers which puts me about a foot and half from my speakers. I find my self here a lot, often using my sub as a laptop rest (like I am now). Was curious if if anyone else does this or similar?

My seat is the other way, a little too far back from the sweet spot.

I went to see a buddy of mine back in high school days (circa 1970) and his mom waved me on back to his bedroom, but no one was there. She told me to check his closet. He had moved his new OLAs into a small closet along with the rest of the system, and was choosing an LP when I checked, else I'd have heard him. He sat on one speaker and I on the other, at his insistence, so that I would get the full experience. So I managed to sit there for one song, ill at ease because of the invasion of my personal space, and was not impressed with the effect. They sounded much better in the room to me, and I helped him move it back.

I have enjoyed near-field listening to small speakers, though. They'd probably sound better than OLAs in such a tight space, though I do understand the OP's scenario wasn't about small space.

Back in 2012 or so (if memory serves me well) ... when I first started streaming from my Desktop PC ... got into near field listening with a usb dac/Audioengine A2 desktop speakers/ Yamaha sub. Use to listen to quite a few albums that way for a few years ... then I got a
Laptop/usb dac for my mains .. and that was the end of that adventure. Still listen occasionally near field (Desktop PC) but not much.

I'm about 14 feet away and that's still to close for what I'm using. It's just the way it is. Part and parcel. I don't have a desk.

Last edited:
Nearfield in the office, my KEF 103.2's sound great that way!

My main system, I'm probably only 7 feet away...haven't measured...probably a bit too close, but it still sounds good. MY KEF 107's have heads that swivel so I can at least easily point the high frequencies where they need to go. One reason (of many) that I'm likely to keep these speakers for good.

I use the Cardas formulas to get my basic seat set up and then tweak a little from there. I have heard people call this near field. I feel I am positioned in the front of the sound stage, although some phono cartridges and recordings actually sound more 3D and tend to envelop you.

I do not like being inside this triangle as much as I tend to lose some of the stereo effects.

I like being closer. Im in a 5 1/2 speaker width x 9’ chair triangle now
When i move the chair closer i get “the look” from wife.

My bedroom system could be classified as near, no, maybe medium field for listening. I have a pair of Pioneer BS-SP-21's on 28" high stands at the foot of my bed. I admit they're used mostly for watching TV/Movies. There is also an 8" Monoprice powered sub along with a center channel (Parts Express C-452) and surround (Minimus 7) speakers. A Yamaha RX V-377 controls the whole shebang.

In my bedroom I much prefer listening to music via a laptop -> HiFimeDIY USB DAC -> Little Dot MkII -> Monolith M560's.

Before all your replies I didn't know near field listening was a thing, or that there are certain speakers meant/better suited for it. I get the feeling that the Pioneer CS-99As I use are not the best suited for near field.

Nope.... I prefer a bit of distance. The speakers in my second system tend to sound harsh when close to them. Extremely revealing and transparent at 1.5m or more

Before all your replies I didn't know near field listening was a thing, or that there are certain speakers meant/better suited for it. I get the feeling that the Pioneer CS-99As I use are not the best suited for near field.
I don't know about that. Some might consider CS-99A near field listening a luxury. You seem to be comfortable in the "music nest" with the tweeters at what I'm told is the proper listening ear height.
Enjoy.

I try to shoot for an equilateral triangle when possible. If the speakers are 3' apart than I'm trying for 3' away. Otherwise when it's not feasible I am always slightly further out, never cared for being greater than 30 deg to each speaker.

With my Apogees relegated to my small office for the sake of preserving marital bliss, I’m sitting about four feet away.

I generally sit too close, I realize... but it's what I'm used to and is a reaction to how my room is set up. I have the "sweet spot" situated at the middle of my couch. I mostly like to sit in a recliner though and due to the size of my room and the fact of the space that my couch and coffee table take up, the only room for it is very much off center and very close to one speaker. It's less than ideal, sound-wise and yet I think that it's still OK in that my speakers, Jamo c103s seem to do very well with off center imaging, so that I can still very much hear the stereo effect even when I'm very close to one of the two speakers...

I sit (more like lay in front between speakers )5 inches from my system ,when i hear the slightest hiss,i will tear it down until the hiss is gone .

Back
Top Bottom