Today's JAZZ playlist

24/96 ALAC High Resolution -
yM6Rof2.jpg

Nice. I'll have to play this one tonight. I've got a taste for Corn and some Cobb. :biggrin: I just got some fresh corn so Jimmy Cobb will be just the ticket. :thumbsup:

I remember watching an interview with Cobb regarding his infamous "Cymbal Crash" on the cut "So What" from the album "Kind of Blue"
Cobb said he thought he had "Overplayed the room" until he heard the playback. I think it could have been milder, but what the heck, it worked.

It's only within the past 3-5 years, I've paid attention to hardware. For almost 30 years, I had a really solid 25 watt receiver made by Craig, (which some believe it to be a Pioneer manufacture with a Craig nameplate, it is built along the same lines-tank like). But a it started to give up the ghost and I then I went through a Pioneer SX-9000, Pioneer SX-990, a Kenwood KR-4070 and a Kenwood KR-5150, all trying to find the best one. I finally snagged this 2230b off Craigslist for $150.00 (plus the guy threw in a turntable and a pair of speakers!). It pairs well with my DCM TF-400s in my office/listening room. I'm set...there is balance in the system and all my media plays through it sweetly. One last thing...the Kenwood Kr-5150 that I got at an Estate sale came the closest to the 2230b. I got them almost a month apart and it was touch and go before I committed to the Marantz. Now the real story is that I've got a stack of mid-range 70s receivers sitting waiting to go to good
homes. I just gotta figure how/who etc...I may keep the SX-9000 for my son, should he ever return stateside.

Nice. My first receiver was a Realistic STA-76 that I put on layaway as a young teen (14 ish?) with $100 that I worked like a dog for cutting lawns one summer. I tried to pay it off but never could. I think it was on sale for $219 marked down from $299. My sainted mother felt sorry for me and in the fall she paid the rest and I got it off layaway. I still have it in my office. It's only 12 WPC but it has the legendary Quatravox that is basically a Hafler circuit for ambient sound out of the rear speakers since Quadraphonic was all the rage when that receiver was built. A lot of the Realistic stuff back then was manufactured by Foster, and they were pretty darn good. Expensive, but the quality was very decent.

I remember in College, we all thought Watts Per Channel was the holy grail. We bought as many watts as we could afford, and they were expensive, but back then we (mostly) played Rock as close to concert levels as we could unless we were playing Jazz, then it was just Jazz Club levels on volume. I think I paid $400 for my Yamaha CA-810 (65 WPC) back then, and that was a CLOSEOUT price. That's almost $1,300 in today's dollars. But the way they were made, the WPC rating was ultra conservative. I drive that Yamaha into 4 ohms not 8, and it pushes close to 80 WPC at that level of impedance - probably like 78.5 wpc if you are getting technical. My school was a business and engineering school so half the guys were chasing an MBA and the other half were on their way to a Masters in Electrical Engineering. We'd sit for hours in the dorm quad and debate WPC, Sony VS Yamaha VS McIntosh VS Pioneer VS WHOEVER. We'd argue about Slue Rate and Class A vs B VS AB VS C and anything else you can think of. Those were the days! :)

Now, I just like quality and good tonality from amps and receivers, combined with legendary good looks and don't worry about WPC. My Realistic SA-1001 in my patio is rated at 35 WPC into 8 ohms. Again I drive it into 4 ohms so probably squeezing out close to 40 watts or so. And it sounds magnificent. I finally splurged for McIntosh a while ago and I love it. But you really don't need all that mega-power to be a happy audiophile. My opinion of course.

Nat King Cole - After Midnight (Sweets Edison on the trumpet!)

HIGH RESOLUTION FLAC FILE

81uhhqpcJjL._SX425_.jpg

FYI;
Harry Edison, trumpet; Nat King Cole, piano, vocals; John Collins, guitar; Charlie Harris, bass; Lee Young, drums.
Capitol Tower, Los Angeles, CA, August 15, 1956
15788-10 You Can Depend On Me Capitol (E) EMS 1103; Mosaic MR27-138
15789-8 Candy -
15790-4 Sweet Lorraine Capitol W-782, EAP-2-782; Mosaic MR27-138
15791-5 It's Only A Paper Moon (edited version) Capitol W-782, EAP-4-782; Mosaic MR27-138
15792-3 (Get Your Kicks On) Route 66 Capitol W-782, EAP-3-782; Mosaic MR27-138

Bass – Milt Hinton Drums – Osie Johnson Piano – Hank Jones Tenor Saxophone – Paul Gonsalves, Sonny Stitt (tracks: A1 to B1)

Recorded At – Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey Recorded September 5, 1963. Design (Cover) – Robert Flynn Photography By – Ted Russell Engineer – Rudy Van Gelder Producer – Bob Thiele

A1 Salt And Pepper 0:00 A2 S'Posin' 7:53 A3 Theme From Lord Of The Flies 14:13 B1 Perdido 16:41 B2 Stardust 29:22

Now THAT'S a well LOVED album! Judging by the jacket wear, someone played that big time over the years!

Yeah, I got it in a thrift store years ago for a buck, and although it clearly already had a lot of miles on it, the LP itself was in pretty good condition, all things considered . . . and I've found occasion to put a few more miles on it myself (bad puns intended, I'm afraid).

Yeah, I got it in a thrift store years ago for a buck, and although it clearly already had a lot of miles on it, the LP itself was in pretty good condition, all things considered . . . and I've found occasion to put a few more miles on it myself (bad puns intended, I'm afraid).

Jacket condition doesn't always concern me Johnny. I've found many well-loved covers that had pristine vinyl inside. Of course, there are always exceptions. You have to be diligent.

I stopped in to a Record Store during Record Store Day and the owner had graded ALL the used vinyl by putting a little note on the price sticker, like, "Plays great", or "Some surface noise but not bad" and one I bought, "Visible Scratches but PLAYS GREAT!" He was right. It played GREAT. :)

One of my favorites!! Found that at a King Carol record store back in '76 or '77! Great choice, John!!

Yes, an old, old favorite of mine -- definitely among the first twenty or so jazz albums I bought in the 70s. Tyner is great on it, and Stitt is in terrific form. I've heard Just Knock On My Door a million times, and Stitt's coda still floors me when I hear it every time. Blakey's easy-going but still driving swing is amazing. I don't know if I ever noticed before -- or if I had, I'd forgotten -- that Cafe and Just Knock On My Door are Blakey originals; I don't think I've ever seen those recorded again on any other albums, but it's a shame because they're both wonderful tunes.

Hey thank you, Billy, that's really nice of you to say. Back at you. You know, I was thinking, that bass player, Charlie Wilson, I don't really know of anything else he's on!

I don't either. And you're the master of connecting musicians with their respective discographies. I did a quick Google Search with Wiki and Discogs and nothing stood out.

The worst is the opposite. Lots of decent covers with butchered LP's inside. I recently caught a dude trying to sell some desirable stuff (Dizzy, Johnny Griffin, Jimmy Smith) in nice jackets with $22 price stickers; I broke his taped seal (because I'm not paying $22 for used vinyl with no warranty that I'm not allowed to inspect)-- $5 records inside at best...

GJ

Good point.

Might be my last one for tonight. Suffering back pain and can't figure out where it came from, unless I overdid it in the gym today. I sometimes pull a back muscle on the weights and don't realize it until late in the day when it starts to act up. So I may have to take some muscle relaxers and hit the hay.

Jimmy Cobb - Jazz in the Key of Blue

51Ib7cQTz2L._SS500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom