Today's JAZZ playlist

I don't either. And you're the master of connecting musicians with their respective discographies. I did a quick Google Search with Wiki and Discogs and nothing stood out.

Well, I can't think of anything else where this player recorded! I just checked and I couldn't find anything on him. I wonder if I have anything else with him on it. I've had that record for years, and when I read your line-up, I realized that I didn't really know him. There were many musicians like that though. These guys knew musicians in every town and city. And some of them weren't recorded much or didn't get out of their local town, things like that. I remember Eddie Locke telling me about guys like Abe Woodley who was supposed to be a great pianist and vibes player who never left Detroit, etc.

61JeN06VO%2BL._SX355_.jpg

Count Basie - Sixteen Men Swinging

Finally opened the shrink wrap on this beauty I found recently for very few $. The initial spin proves both that the title is no lie...and that I got very lucky when this stuck to my fingers when flipping through the albums in the bin.

Well, I can't think of anything else where this player recorded! I just checked and I couldn't find anything on him. I wonder if I have anything else with him on it. I've had that record for years, and when I read your line-up, I realized that I didn't really know him. There were many musicians like that though. These guys knew musicians in every town and city. And some of them weren't recorded much or didn't get out of their local town, things like that. I remember Eddie Locke telling me about guys like Abe Woodley who was supposed to be a great pianist and vibes player who never left Detroit, etc.

I think you hit that nail on the head JG. There was so much networking going on, where a musician said, "Hey, I know a guy in St. Louis that plays a mean Bass, lemme give him a call."

IMO, this is one of the treasures of Jazz. The rabbit holes are so deep. It never gets old researching artists, albums, etc. Love it.

Found this CD sealed, a few weeks ago. Shortly before that ran into an original press vinyl copy of one of his LPs at an antique mall. Really wish I woulda snagged that when I saw it. Plan to circle back and see if it’s still in the wild this weekend. I absolutely love the CD and need more by Hot Lips.

Edit: a couple unexpected first press Mike Bloomfield LPs came between me and it at the time.

Those ballads are so beautiful...
It's been a while since I've listened to Red Garland. This is a very enjoyable album with a good mix of uptempo pieces and ballads with Sam Jones on bass and Charlie Persip on drums. I discovered a side of Red Garland that I hadn't heard before as seen in his renditions of "On Green Dolphin Street" , "Blues in the Closet" and "So Sorry Please" showing the influence of Bud Powell.

It's been a while since I've listened to Red Garland. This is a very enjoyable album with a good mix of uptempo pieces and ballads with Sam Jones on bass and Charlie Persip on drums. I discovered a side of Red Garland that I hadn't heard before as seen in his renditions of "On Green Dolphin Street" , "Blues in the Closet" and "So Sorry Please" showing the influence of Bud Powell.

On Record Store Day I was at a shop I had only been to once before. In the new arrivals section they had a Red Garland Quartet/Quintet 10” first pressing. I brought it up to the owner and he looked it up. Crazy money, even when he offered a sizable discount for bring it to his attention. Had to pass but it sure had my interest.

Yes, my Buick “listening room” on wheels.

Thought so. I rented a few and recognized that dash. I drive a German import, and although I absolutely LOVE the Bose sound system in my car, I'm done with high end automobiles. You need to take out a 2nd mortgage to service them. My Father (RIP) loved Buick. My next car would have been a Ford Fusion, but I'm not buying until 2020 and Ford won't be making any more sedans in the future. Honestly, I wish they still had the Mercury Cougar. The old style from circa 1990 ish. Basically a 2 door Mercury Grand Marquis. I loved that car.

Thought so. I rented a few and recognized that dash. I drive a German import, and although I absolutely LOVE the Bose sound system in my car, I'm done with high end automobiles. You need to take out a 2nd mortgage to service them. My Father (RIP) loved Buick. My next car would have been a Ford Fusion, but I'm not buying until 2020 and Ford won't be making any more sedans in the future. Honestly, I wish they still had the Mercury Cougar. The old style from circa 1990 ish. Basically a 2 door Mercury Grand Marquis. I loved that car.

Previous to this was a Lincoln, previous to that another Buick. Next one smells like a Cadillac, but probably a couple/few more years on this one, yet. I drove a Chrysler 300C rental all day yesterday (service work on mine) and was not very impressed with the “premium” Alpine sound system.

Previous to this was a Lincoln, previous to that another Buick. Next one smells like a Cadillac, but probably a couple/few more years on this one, yet. I drove a Chrysler 300C rental all day yesterday (service work on mine) and was not very impressed with the “premium” Alpine sound system.

SWMBO has a Caddy and she really likes it. She wanted a Benz but test drove the Caddy and fell in love. I've been an Audi man since 1998, but that run is finally ending. Outrageously expensive to keep an Audi on the road, especially once you have past the warranty period. I may consider Lincoln. Glad you posted that. I keep forgetting about that brand. Never owned one. I've actually been super impressed with renting the Kia Optima. What an amazing car especially for the price, and with a 10 year 100k warranty. They are designed by Audi engineers. That's probably why I like them. Every Kia Optima owner I talk to loves the car, and has had ZERO issues, some with ownership around the 8 year mark and that's as long as I will ever own a car. But I will probably really look at Lincoln now that you have me thinking about that upscale Ford brand. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom