Today's JAZZ playlist

OK, back pain has subsided thanks to muscle relaxers.

One more then I have to get some shut-eye;

Ben Webster and Sweets Edison - Ben and Sweets

51kTpsblLLL._SS500.jpg

SWMBO has a Caddy and she really likes it. She wanted a Benz but test drove the Caddy and fell in love. I've been an Audi man since 1998, but that run is finally ending. Outrageously expensive to keep an Audi on the road, especially once you have past the warranty period. I may consider Lincoln. Glad you posted that. I keep forgetting about that brand. Never owned one. I've actually been super impressed with renting the Kia Optima. What an amazing car especially for the price, and with a 10 year 100k warranty. They are designed by Audi engineers. That's probably why I like them. Every Kia Optima owner I talk to loves the car, and has had ZERO issues, some with ownership around the 8 year mark and that's as long as I will ever own a car. But I will probably really look at Lincoln now that you have me thinking about that upscale Ford brand. Thanks.
I really like the new Continental. Have you thought about a Lexus ? I love the LS460 and new LS500.

Nice. I'll have to play this one tonight. I've got a taste for Corn and some Cobb. :biggrin: I just got some fresh corn so Jimmy Cobb will be just the ticket. :thumbsup:

I remember watching an interview with Cobb regarding his infamous "Cymbal Crash" on the cut "So What" from the album "Kind of Blue"
Cobb said he thought he had "Overplayed the room" until he heard the playback. I think it could have been milder, but what the heck, it worked.
I love this album and really need to dig deeper into his work. I only have two albums. Gonna slide him into my queue this week. :)

Might be my last one for tonight. Suffering back pain and can't figure out where it came from, unless I overdid it in the gym today. I sometimes pull a back muscle on the weights and don't realize it until late in the day when it starts to act up. So I may have to take some muscle relaxers and hit the hay.

Jimmy Cobb - Jazz in the Key of Blue

51Ib7cQTz2L._SS500.jpg
I also forgot to mention it's a great reference album for checking out systems. But I guess that's to be expected coming from Chesky.

Last edited:
I really like the new Continental. Have you thought about a Lexus ? I love the LS460 and new LS500.

I just read that the Continental will have a "Short" run and go back OUT of production soon. But I also like the MKZ/MKX just from the research I did tonight. If the Continental goes out, that may be a good time to buy actually as they close them out probably in 2020.

I was super disappointed with the Toyota cars I have rented, so I kind of poo-pooed the brand in my mind. I realize that's not fair because a Lexus is a totally different animal than a Toyota.
I will take a look at the Lexus lineup tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

View attachment 1189304

Grrr, wasn’t the version I thought it was:

Blues, Jazz?! Someone needs to explain that line in the shifting sand to me. All I know is it’s fantastic.

Easy answer, it's both. A few weeks ago I posted a Bessie Smith compilation that was all blues and more than a little jazz as well, especially considering that Louis Armstrong appears on several sides in that set. During the early years it's mostly pointless to say it's one or the other since everything is so close to the source of that branch of American music.

Great tune you picked out, and I like the new avatar as well.

If your ever feeling jaded...down in the dumps...off colour...just put this vinyl on and turn up the volume (apologies to the neighbours!) and get the joint ahhhh jumping!!!
Feets ahhhh tappin' ...head's ahhhh boppin'...blow those blues ahhhhwayyyy...fingers ahhh snappin' ...hips ahhh shakin'...go...go... :jump:

Yes, an old, old favorite of mine -- definitely among the first twenty or so jazz albums I bought in the 70s. Tyner is great on it, and Stitt is in terrific form. I've heard Just Knock On My Door a million times, and Stitt's coda still floors me when I hear it every time. Blakey's easy-going but still driving swing is amazing. I don't know if I ever noticed before -- or if I had, I'd forgotten -- that Cafe and Just Knock On My Door are Blakey originals; I don't think I've ever seen those recorded again on any other albums, but it's a shame because they're both wonderful tunes.

I'll take Tymer's playing here and on things like "Ballads and Blues" any day over what did later and is more overtly famous for. l do like and marvel at much of that, but the kind of playing he did here is just so heartfelt, melodic, and beautiful.

I love Stitt on both tenor and alto. Both he and Tyner on "Sunday" and "The Song Is You" - just unbelievable. I love the tunes you mention also. The whole album!

It's been a while since I've listened to Red Garland. This is a very enjoyable album with a good mix of uptempo pieces and ballads with Sam Jones on bass and Charlie Persip on drums. I discovered a side of Red Garland that I hadn't heard before as seen in his renditions of "On Green Dolphin Street" , "Blues in the Closet" and "So Sorry Please" showing the influence of Bud Powell.

Yeah, this is a special session all the way...

Nice. My first receiver was a Realistic STA-76 that I put on layaway as a young teen (14 ish?) with $100 that I worked like a dog for cutting lawns one summer. I tried to pay it off but never could. I think it was on sale for $219 marked down from $299. My sainted mother felt sorry for me and in the fall she paid the rest and I got it off layaway. I still have it in my office. It's only 12 WPC but it has the legendary Quatravox that is basically a Hafler circuit for ambient sound out of the rear speakers since Quadraphonic was all the rage when that receiver was built. A lot of the Realistic stuff back then was manufactured by Foster, and they were pretty darn good. Expensive, but the quality was very decent.

I remember in College, we all thought Watts Per Channel was the holy grail. We bought as many watts as we could afford, and they were expensive, but back then we (mostly) played Rock as close to concert levels as we could unless we were playing Jazz, then it was just Jazz Club levels on volume. I think I paid $400 for my Yamaha CA-810 (65 WPC) back then, and that was a CLOSEOUT price. That's almost $1,300 in today's dollars. But the way they were made, the WPC rating was ultra conservative. I drive that Yamaha into 4 ohms not 8, and it pushes close to 80 WPC at that level of impedance - probably like 78.5 wpc if you are getting technical. My school was a business and engineering school so half the guys were chasing an MBA and the other half were on their way to a Masters in Electrical Engineering. We'd sit for hours in the dorm quad and debate WPC, Sony VS Yamaha VS McIntosh VS Pioneer VS WHOEVER. We'd argue about Slue Rate and Class A vs B VS AB VS C and anything else you can think of. Those were the days! :)

Now, I just like quality and good tonality from amps and receivers, combined with legendary good looks and don't worry about WPC. My Realistic SA-1001 in my patio is rated at 35 WPC into 8 ohms. Again I drive it into 4 ohms so probably squeezing out close to 40 watts or so. And it sounds magnificent. I finally splurged for McIntosh a while ago and I love it. But you really don't need all that mega-power to be a happy audiophile. My opinion of course.

When I started cycling through receivers I knew I didn't need watts, 30 is blowing the doors off my room. I did want that "sound" for Jazz.

I was reading your stories of early receivers and debating equipment, that's when music and equipment meant everything. They were our "status symbols". I'm going out on a limb here, they defined our friends or cliches by music/equipment, instead of today's demarcation points of politics. I miss the old days. It seems much easier to forgive a friend for thinking Thin Lizzy was superior to Jethro Tull or Beatles over Stones, as opposed to trying to grasp why your friend or their wife voted for a certain candidate.

I think you hit that nail on the head JG. There was so much networking going on, where a musician said, "Hey, I know a guy in St. Louis that plays a mean Bass, lemme give him a call."

IMO, this is one of the treasures of Jazz. The rabbit holes are so deep. It never gets old researching artists, albums, etc. Love it.

Oh yeah, there are a lot of people that we never heard of, or only heard a little of. Check out some of those great Buck Clayton jam sessions and listen to pianist Al Waslohn. NICE player. Or another pianist, Lee Lovett. I heard this great drummer named Georgia "Dude" Brown with Illinois Jacquet, who came up to New York from Washington DC. What a great player.

Last edited:
61JeN06VO%2BL._SX355_.jpg

Count Basie - Sixteen Men Swinging

Finally opened the shrink wrap on this beauty I found recently for very few $. The initial spin proves both that the title is no lie...and that I got very lucky when this stuck to my fingers when flipping through the albums in the bin.

Thanks for posting this one. I’ve got it upstairs but haven’t spun it in years. It’s going in queue!

Back
Top Bottom