Just the start of my system ... 2245

TaddNOhio

You have to start somewhere ... i just received this beautiful Marantz 2245 refurbished by Shain. All i can do for now is admire it's looks while i am waiting for a really nice pair of EPI 100V's to arrive
... shorty after that i want to add a nice turntable and a cd player as well

20180516_202811.jpg

You have to start somewhere ... i just received this beautiful Marantz 2245 refurbished by Shain. All i can do for now is admire it's looks while i am waiting for a really nice pair of EPI 100V's to arrive
... shorty after that i want to add a nice turntable and a cd player as well

View attachment 1189361

Congrats. The middle power Marantz receivers are some of my favorite. You've got a nice example.....

Yes you will love the 2245. That is a fine example you have there.
New to the vintage game?

Yes you will love the 2245. That is a fine example you have there.
New to the vintage game?

I had a vintage system about 25yrs ago before i got married ( Marantz 2230, EPI T/E 100 speakers, Pioneer PL-10 turntable) ... we had a big sale before buying our first house and dumb me sold my audio gear so now i am trying to replace what i once had. I kind of got sticker shock when i seen what the Marantz receivers, vintage speakers and turntables are selling for these days

Well you had your priorities straight. We have all sold things in the past we wish we could have back but such is life. :biggrin:

Now it's nice you have some time and money to get back in the hobby. And as you have found the prices of these great old units has gone up exponentially and with Marantz you pay even more with the "Marantz Tax" that gets levied now a days.

2245 is a solid investmate in my book. Should sound killer with the EPI's and your turntable.

:thumbsup: the 2245 was my first receiver and its always been my favorite, i got mine in 1975 over 40 years with no issues other then dirty pots , finally had it recapped a couple years ago to freshen it up and get another 40 years out of it. excellent choice enjoy.

Last edited:
Very nice! Congrats on the start of a really nice “right-sized” system! The 2245 is my all-time favorite of all the 22xx series. I like it’s simple uncluttered signal path and straightforward control layout plus it has a very decent FM section while still having plenty of amp power for most applications. Had a few 2270’s and even a monster 2330B but I sold them all off and kept the 2245. I prefer mine without the cabinet because it’s so nice and compact without it (although they do look nice with the wooden case if you’ve got the room). I agree, it is shocking to see how much they go for these days, I was pretty much “giving” these things away 10-12 years ago!

Was thinking about getting one ... does the receiver run hotter in that wooden case? And why are they so damn expensive ???

I had my 2220B in one and now my new 2230. They may run hotter but I doubt that unless one was running 4 ohm speakers at high volumes there would be any trouble. They have thousands and are still used today so I see no problem with using them. They have a pretty big removable grate over the vent holes on the cabinet........AND they were designed by Marantz for those very units. I was going to say that if you find Marantz speakers, dont overlook them. The Imperial 5 and 6s were and are sublime along with several of the HD series.

Just like anything else with the Marantz name on it, you pay the Marantz tax.......and they are actually built pretty well. There is an AK member that makes reproductions with many great reviews (just search AK for WC22 and you will find it). I got lucky last year and found mine at the same little record shop where I got my 2230. I just sanded it down and re oiled it and it came out pretty good. If you can find a decent one like I did for under $200 total you are doing pretty well.

There is no comparison in the looks with and without the case.

32599662_1905420899477848_1688500030882709504_o.jpg

32810391_1905420839477854_9048704062047911936_o.jpg

32714397_1905420686144536_5299196873905537024_o.jpg

32662598_1905420536144551_6414003163690434560_o.jpg

I had my 2220B in one and now my new 2230. They may run hotter but I doubt that unless one was running 4 ohm speakers at high volumes there would be any trouble. They have thousands and are still used today so I see no problem with using them. They have a pretty big removable grate over the vent holes on the cabinet........AND they were designed by Marantz for those very units. I was going to say that if you find Marantz speakers, dont overlook them. The Imperial 5 and 6s were and are sublime along with several of the HD series.

There is an AK member that makes reproductions with many great reviews (just search AK for WC22 and you will find it).

@Bodyblue Your system looks great. I'm not sure if you were talking about me, but I make replicas of Marantz cases.
-Aaron

I bought a 2245 new in 1972 and immediately put it in a new WC-22. I used it hard for 25 years before (stupidly) selling it. Bottom line, the wood case does not hinder cooling to any practical effect.

Just a little update ... received my EPI 100v speakers today, they are in really nice condition and the guy i bought them from did an outstanding job shipping them from New York, he was the original owner of them.
Also i ordered a WC-22 cabinet on here from Joe, his custom made cabinets look amazing. Said to allow 4-5 weeks

I have a dedicated room in my basement that i am going to make my listening room, kind of waiting till i get a few more things together before i start setting stuff up. I need a stand/cabinet for my receiver, cd player and eventually turntable (when i get one) also i need new speaker wire and i want to make some floor stands for the EPI 100 so to get them at ear level for best quality sound.
Doing a few things in the room to before i start setting up my gear .. spruce up walls, add some lighting and maybe a futon

20180521_135229.jpg 20180521_141049.jpg

Back
Top Bottom