What, No Yanny vs. Laurel Thread on AK!?!

Seems I'm an overtone listener too.... Still buggered if I can here Yanni

Last edited:
It's bullshit. Two different playbacks to generate differences in opinions and further the commentary. I played the audio for several people and asked what they heard and they said "Yanni". I played a different audio for "Yanni vs Laurel" to the same folks and they heard "Laurel". I'm done...

Not bullshit. Same file, room full of people, most heard Yanni a few heard only Laurel and thought the rest of us were insane.

It really comes down to your qualities as an individual.

If you're a good person, sound of mind and body, and possessed of a moral and gentlemanly -- or gentlewomanly, as appropriate -- character and generally superior to the rabble, you'll hear "Laurel".

If you're a bad person, sour of disposition, flawed in person and in spirit and generally -- for lack of a better phrase -- a foul and depraved sinner who should be locked up to save us good people from your icksome ordure, then you'll hear "Yanni".

Thank you for this opportunity to clarify.

Your TV sucks at playing high frequencies?^

I hear both, with the Yeani being a lot quieter. Ignore the dude with the low ass voice saying "Loral" and try to hear the child saying Yea-ni and

My TV has a Yanni/Laurel filter switch on the back, which I have set to get the best audiophile sound reproduction of the Tuunbaq polar bear monster on The Terror. I wouldn't trade that for all the Laurels in TV land.

If you're a good person, sound of mind and body, and possessed of a moral and gentlemanly -- or gentlewomanly, as appropriate -- character and generally superior to the rabble, you'll hear "Laurel".

If you're a bad person, sour of disposition, flawed in person and in spirit and generally -- for lack of a better phrase -- a foul and depraved sinner who should be locked up to save us good people from your icksome ordure, then you'll hear "Yanni".

I hear Yanny and I don't think I'm a bad person, of sour disposition, nor flawed in spirit nor person and if you insist on saying that I'm gonna come around and beat 4 shades of shit out of you. Me? I'm a pussycat. You should be grateful my grandmother wouldn't be making a visit...

th
vs
th
Actually Oliver Hardy used to say that to Stan.

As a yanni-ite I approve of this description.

You also forgot to mention that before leaving for work for the day we also point our speakers at an open window, and crank Yanni on repeat, just to piss off the neighbourhood.

This is definitely weird science. At first I heard yanny on my hifi speakers [1], and laurel on my laptop speakers [2] & hifi headphones [3]. Then I heard laurel on my hifi speakers [1]. Then the results were irreproducible.

This morning I get this: At first I heard yanny on my hifi speakers [1], and laurel on my laptop speakers [2] & hifi headphones [3]. Then I heard laurel on my hifi speakers [1].

When I listen with my head phone I always hear laurel. It seems when I switch from headphones (hearing laurel) directly to my hifi speakers, I then hear laurel on my hifi speakers.

This is the WEIRDEST part. I listen with my hifi speakers and I hear yanny. Then with my head phones NOT plugged-in, still playing the sound though my hifi speakers, I put the head phones over my ears and I hear laurel. The HD-650 are supra-aural, on-ear, open-back so they let ambient sounds into your ear. I can still hear the hifi speakers with the HD-650 on my ears. Then I take the head phones off my ears and hear laurel though my hifi speakers.

Pretty cool psychophysics [4].

[1] Laptop > laptop headphone TRS jack >TRS to RCA audio cable > Yamaha RX-777 > Klipch RF-7 and/ or Realistic Optimus 5b.
[2] Laptop > direct to laptop speakers.
[3] Laptop > laptop headphone TRS jack > Sennheiser HD 650.
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychophysics

This is the WEIRDEST part. I listen with my hifi speakers and I hear yanny. Then with my head phones NOT plugged-in, still playing the sound though my hifi speakers, I put the head phones over my ears and I hear laurel. The HD-650 are supra-aural, on-ear, open-back so they let ambient sounds into your ear. I can still hear the hifi speakers with the HD-650 on my ears. Then I take the head phones off my ears and hear laurel though my hifi speakers.
At times like this, we need MEMES.

ee8.jpg images.jpeg scared_yao.jpg OhCrap.png

Attachments

• sad-oh-no-l.png
    sad-oh-no-l.png
    162.4 KB · Views: 3
The wife and I heard this on the news. She heard Yanni, I heard Laurel.
We rewound it, same results. We rewound it again, and this time, I heard Yanni, Yanni, Yanni..
Rewound again, and, I could not get anything close to a Yanni again. But that one pass, it was all I could hear.

Back
Top Bottom